Moab 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just for clarification Robert, you're not suggesting moving the rally. I know you and a friend plan to attend, but Portal is probably full. So you're looking for somewhere nearby to stay overnight while still attending the rally functions and meeting all the folks.

Slickrock is right next door to Portal. Never stayed there but it looks nice if you don't mind trees. We've stayed at OK Campground (it's a PA park) and liked it but it's on the opposite side of town, to the south. We've also stayed at Archview which is very nice and has no pesky trees to get in the way but it's north of the entrance to Arches NP, way north of Portal. And we've stayed at Moab Rim, also a Passport America park. It's south of town, has free WiFi but the sites aren't terribly level. Stayed at Canyonlands in town several years ago and liked it a lot but that was in the middle of summer, it was very nicely shaded and we didn't have the internet back then. Now we tend to bypass those shady parks. There's also boondocking camping on BLM land north of town.

There are certainly a lot of choices.
Wendy

Tom, thanks for the clarification, I was assuming that Portal was all booked up and that I would have to find an alternative location. After reading what I posted, it  sounded like I was trying to move the location of the rally.

Wendy, thanks for the suggestions, it sounds like there are plenty of alternatives if we don't manage to get in at Portal. We will get on the wait list and also book a backup.

Reference replies #41, 42, 43 and 44.

Caltex inadvertently made a good point. The Portals is a limited campground.

I wonder how many more people would attend if there were room, full service or dry camping, at the Moab rally? Staying somewhere else and driving over (to the Portals) is no way near as good as  camping together.

I respectfully request a person of authority post this question in the General Discussion portion of the forum (wrong place but more readers):

"If we could accommodate everyone who either wanted to attend the Moab rally, or would give it more consideration if we could all stay at the same place, please respond"

The answer may be surprising, one way or the other.

That is a good question.

We did not initially sign up as we always go east to visit our grandchildren during that time of year.  But now we have discovered our plans have stayed and we will likely remain in the western areas until July when we will visit Camp Newmar in Indiana.  But we learned that Moab is full up and we are not all that excited about having to stay at a different campground.  QZ is the only forum rally we are familiar with, and we just loved tumbling out of bed in the morning and stumbling over to Ned's for coffee.  And sitting at the campfire until filled with scotch and then stumbling back down the coach line to our warm bed.

I know everyone is fond of the current Moab campground, but maybe the time has come for finding more space?  We would not be opposed to boondocking if that is available at the primary site.

Call Portal and identify yourself as part of the RV Forum group and ask them to put you on the waiting list.  I am not aware of anybody that didn't end up getting a spot at Portal by rally time.  Folks do cancel from time to time due to a change in planes either in our group or others.

Smoky,

If you call Portal as Ron suggested, if they're "full", they'll assign you to the boondocking field. Then, as Ron mentioned, they'll fit you into a site as cancellations come in. Sometimes they might need to move you around a couple of sites, but they'll try to accomodate you.

Inquiring minds want to know:  Has anyone spoken with Portal recently and is aware of whether they've been doing their remodeling of the sites?  Just curious.

ArdraF

Work has not been started yet but I understand the contractor has guaranteed the project will be completed by April.

This info is second hand info.

Doesanyone have a later update as of now?  Wife and her sister just returned from Sadona and to my surprise the wife is now interested in Moab.  If one of the Forum Staff that is planning to attend, would contact them, perhaps 1st rate info may be forthcoming.  Just a thought. Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks

Shayne,

Click here for an illustrated file in our library talking about Moab. It might be enough to whet the appetite. Even if Portal RV Park doesn't have enough room, there are a number of other RV parks close by that would allow folks to participate in all the rally events and visit with attendees.

Tom:

Actually we prefer boondocking.  If we can make it, that is what we will do.  Good chance of our being there, since we think we will go east much later this year.

Tom  I'm certainly aware of the adventures and look forward to it, However, You know who is not that country, as she says, needs to be near cuz we have been informed Ned and Karl, (I think) taht it would be worthless for us to tote the Linc and Trailer up there and thus we would be wheelless,  That's the reason I asked.  Chances  are better as a group, IO think.  There I go getting in trouble again by thinking.  If she finds out that would be another whack and bump on the ole noggin.

Shayne,

There'll be some folks coming from Surprise who you could caravan with. In any event, there'll be lots of wheels available at the rally. Heck, if you need your own wheels for off-roading, you can even rent a Jeep in Moab.

Smoky,

I don't know where you'd boondock around Moab, but hopefully someone will jump in with suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom