Veterans, "Military Service Records" NOT THE VA"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty Traveler

Seems like every time you say the word "Veteran." There is a mindset to jump on VA Medical ISSUES. Which this post is not about. This post is only about obtaining your "Military Service RECORDS" NO MEDICAL RECORDS HERE.

When I was out of the U.S. Military Service after almost 30 years. My old unit "Bivouac Newsletter" had a posting about getting copies of your "Military Service Records" awards, Page 2 of DD-214, your Military History as written by your company sergeants. I truly did not think much about doing it at the time. After another two years, I said Okay.

National Archives a U.S. Government Website (.GOV) Click Here and click the link on Veterans Service Records Click Here and once you open pan down to READ and follow the instructions. REMEMBER THIS IS A U.S. GOVERNMENT WEBSITE. (.gov/). You will need to have your copy of Page 1. of your DD-214. Some years ago a FIRE Burned through destroying thousands of Service member records. The center is located in, St. Louis, MO.

ONCE AGAIN THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE VA. But here is a link that may help. Click Here

Military Records.jpg

Last edited:
I just used my 214 last year to get a veteran's endorsement on my drivers license. When I started with my current employer they not only requested my 214 but other ones, like my enlistment form and other ones I don't remember even having but they were in the folder I keep. Odds are pretty good after all this time the DoD copies of these are long lost or gone and I have the only ones. Would be interesting to submit the request at the link here and see what they know that I don't.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I have kept my DD214 in a safe place for 61 years and have never had a use for it..>>>Dan
I do understand, as I did for 30 years. As I recall I FAXED my copy of DD-214 to the National Archives. I was told 8 weeks, but it took 5 weeks. A large brown envelope arrived along with BLUE BOXES of all my service Awards and three new ones I did not know about. Reading what my sergeants wrote about me was both typed and computer-generated, and heartwarming. But for me, the most interesting was 3 STAMPED copies of my Page 2, DD-214. There were codes I did not have on page 1, copy. I was informed by the National Archives center to contact my Branch of Service Personnel HQ, as they were only the record keepers. I called and spoke with the Military Master Sergeant in personnel. Who informed me what the codes were and why I did not see them at the time of my Honorable Discharge, which was all good. But as many times as I have passed this information on it blows me away the number of fellow service members who don't keep anything and more so the paperwork. Crazy, I can understand fire or loss. But to throw away military discharge paperwork. I don't get that. As doing so is throwing away all your veteran benefits, that you are entitled to have, with your Honorable Discharge.

Thank you for your Military Service and hey, "Welcome Back Home"

I don't know about the Army of Air Force, but the Navy service record has all awards listed on Page 4, along with all schools attended and training taken - weapons quals, etc.
Same with the Coast Guard. I have copies of all my records if needed. The originals I keep in the safe. I do have one of these for medals and ribbons hung in my study. (Pic is for reference only.)

31852e8f5b1db26aef996c7022f2c463.jpg

I just used my 214 last year to get a veteran's endorsement on my drivers license. When I started with my current employer they not only requested my 214 but other ones, like my enlistment form and other ones I don't remember even having but they were in the folder I keep. Odds are pretty good after all this time the DoD copies of these are long lost or gone and I have the only ones. Would be interesting to submit the request at the link here and see what they know that I don't.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I'm not any point of contact for anything connected to the government. I'm just a fellow Member who once served. The information came to me 30 years ago and I investigated it. I know we need to be on guard and that's why I clearly stated this is a government website (.gov/). Please check it all out read it, do it or don't. But look at the information they address or call them there are telephone numbers on the site.

As for letting someone make copies, that would send up a red flag for me. But I did give the state of Florida a copy of my DD-214 and SN for my Florida driver's license. Use your judgment. Mark,

I don't know about the Army of Air Force, but the Navy service record has all awards listed on Page 4, along with all schools attended and training taken - weapons quals, etc.
If you were in the U.S. Military and Honorable Discharged, after serving 180 days you should have a "DD-214" All military branches of the U.S. Armed Forces issue, this one document. That is what I was told when it was given and don't lose it. Something I missed, and making a re-cap: the DD-214, is one full page 8 x 10 1/2, on your lower left reads as PAGE 1 the original copy and I don't know how many pages, but all other pages are copies of your PAGE 1.

Last edited:
As for letting someone make copies, that would send up a red flag for me.
Well, this is an outfit that supplies services and equipment to the military and three letter agencies, and it looks like I may end up needing a clearance here soon so I trust them no less than anyone else I gave it to while active duty (had a top secret there too). The DMV guy only requested to look at it and it was returned to me never leaving my sight. I suspect military service is something that is likely verifiable via public records so disclosing some of the info on a DD214 doesn't directly compromise your identity but I do hold the original in a secure place. But I can remember a day the IRS sent you 1040 forms in the US mail with your SSN on the address label. After that, it's my guess a security breach at amazon or yahoo, or buying a happy meal at the drive through with a credit card will be more of an identity risk than someone seeing my 214.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I have kept my DD214 in a safe place for 61 years and have never had a use for it..>>>Dan
Mine has been used countless times. For even unexpected small stuff, such as when I purchased my Triumph Trophy SE motorcycle in Reno in year 2013. They had a $500.00 discount to vets and the only proof of service they would accept was a copy of my DD-214.

Home Depo and Lowes also once required the DD-214 (to be showed once) for their military vet discounts.

I also needed it to use the VA hospital in Reno (all Vietnam vets qualify, regardless of income).

And I have used it for other things as well. Military license plates, the VA stamp on my NV driver's license. Discounts at Batteries Plus and even at some RV parts stores, such as at Safari RV parts in Reno.

Hard to believe you had no use for it in 61 years. I still have my original DD214 from my army ETS.

-Don- Auburn, CA

214 last year to get a veteran's endorsement on my drivers license.
Yep, and many places will give a discount because of that stamp. But the DMV required to see and copy the DD214 to get it on the driver's license.

But some places will NOT accept the driver's license stamp and want to see the DD214 for themselves such as when I purchased my 2013 Triumph Torphy motorcycle. They needed a copy of my DD214 to send it into Triumph America. They didn't care about the stamp on my driver's license.

And I have also heard of places such as Home Depo who later wanted to see a VA card instead of a DD214. Some places change what they want as proof of service, I have no idea why they change. I hear they changed again since then and now it has to be done online in advance.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Lowes, Cabelas, Home Depot, and many other places offer 5-10% for Vets. Just ask. Strangely, Academy does not.
I believe Cabela's/Bass Pro just recently upped theirs from 5% to 10%. Home Depot and Lowes are 10%. That 10% saves me a fortune over a year. I've never had to furnish a DD-214 at any of them though, just my VA ID card.

Same with the Coast Guard. I have copies of all my records if needed. The originals I keep in the safe. I do have one of these for medals and ribbons hung in my study. (Pic is for reference only.)

View attachment 172652
I've been meaning to write both the CG and the Navy, I notice ya'll keep sewing your stripes on upside down.

I've been meaning to write both the CG and the Navy, I notice ya'll keep sewing your stripes on upside down.
The simple answer to that question is the strip upside down means it "FLOATS" Army dose, not Float. The military hand salute came from the Knights, lifting their visors head face shields, also performed with the storm arm while on horseback meeting another unknown Knight is the forest. I don't say anything as it's a form or respect. But the BLACK which is DARK NAVY BLUE, worn over the shield is to inform others one of their own has fallen. It should be level and not at a 45 degrees as that means "DEFENCE". But as that is old history, and most still don't know why they wear a shield and the meaning.

but the Navy service record has all awards listed on Page 4, along with all schools attended and training taken - weapons quals, etc.
Unless you happen to be one of those whose records were lost in that fire, as mine were. Fortunately, the people that processed my discharge gave me 20 originals of my DD214 and I still have several of them.

On July 12, 1973, a fire broke out in the National Personnel Records Center at 9700 Page Avenue in St. Louis, MO. It destroyed approximately 16–18 million Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom