Moab Fall Rally 2014 (Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2014)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made it to Elephant Butte, NM  for the FMCA 4X4 Rally.  :)  530 miles in 9 1/2 hours.  Needless to say, I'm a little tired.

I know what you mean Betty about it being bittersweet to have a rally end.  We hate to see everyone part ways yet we look forward to seeing everyone again in the future.

This group really gives Chrystal and I encouragement for retirement.  We were talking today after leaving Portal that it would be nice to be able to either stay another day or two or better yet, head down the road to another destination other heading back to work.

Mike.

Photog said:
I made it to Elephant Butte, NM  for the FMCA 4X4 Rally.  :)  530 miles in 9 1/2 hours.  Needless to say, I'm a little tired.
Bill we saw you leave Portal quite early. Long day.  Hoping you can get your work done  and  then enjoy yourself.  Give Gary B Jeeping lessons and say hi to all my FMCA  4 wheeling friends.  What part of  " retirement" do you not get?  That is one long day....sigh.  Happy you made it and hope you  can relax for a few days. 

THE-BigLarry said:
DONE! ! ! !  SORRY ! ! !

Thanks Larry.  It really wasn't a big deal, just had to give you crap.  I know who you were to referring to either way you spelled it. 8)

Mike.

I always think it bittersweet when a rally ends.  I do love hearing where the adventures continue as this RVForum group of travelers have such diverse destinations.

I'm with you Betty.  I always hate to leave all our framily when rallies end!  Thanks Mike and Chrystal for a fun time.  And, of course, also to that Miss Betty Person who's always up to helping us make fools of ourselves!

We had Quite a drive to St. George!  First off, about 20 miles north of Moab, after the road narrows to two lanes, there was a horrific accident.  Any ambulances or fire trucks were already gone, but lots of police.  A car was off to our right abut 50 feet.  It was rubber side up with the roof totally flattened and no sign of either the front axle or the engine!  Judging by the debris field Jerry and a trucker he talked with in Green River think the driver was southbound and crossed our lane before rolling.  Surely at least one fatality.  Certainly sobering knowing our entire group was traveling today.  Glad to hear most are tucked away for the night.

We had pretty good weather crossing the San Rafael Swell but there was a misty rain in places with very threatening black clouds and we could see snow on taller peaks to the west.  (The La Sals were socked in when we left but I bet they got snow too.)  After we left Richfield and started climbing the pass toward I-15 the rain turned to snow flurries even though the temperature was in the mid-40s.  It wasn't sticking to the road so we figured once we got over the summit it would improve.  Wrong!  By the time we got to I-15 we were down to 25-35 mph in near-whiteout conditions.  That continued all the way to Beaver.  Even the truckers slowed down!  Then it cleared a bit until the next summit when heavy snow started again until Cedar City.  After the snow stopped we had rain most of the way to St. George.  Needless to say we were happy to arrive and, as you might expect, we no sooner got parked than the sun came out.  This isn't the first time we had snow on the Richfield to I-15 stretch, but it's the most snow for the longest time.  Thank goodness there was enough traffic that none of it accumulated on the road, although it was sticking on the sides.  I wonder if anyone else had snow today.

ArdraF

We got stopped for that same accident Ardra.  It looked pretty bad and we came to the same conclusion, the driver appeared to be going southbound.  You could see tire marks that appeared to start at the right side rumble strip, crossed the road and then the car appeared to have rolled multiple times according to the debris field.

We started out just a little rain approaching Price but by the time we crested Soldier Summit it was a full-blown snowstorm but not quite whiteout conditions. 

We arrived home to a cold wind and dark skies.  We actually had to start our furnace at home tonight.

Mike.

Mike, I was so busy looking at the smashed car that I missed the skid marks.  What a mess!

The last time we went from Moab to SLC we were with the Weimerts and we also had snow at Soldier Summit.  The clouds up that way looked really dark and blustery!  I guess winter has arrived in Utah.

ArdraF

After taking care of a tire issue we decided to stay another night. We toured the north part of Canyonlands NP.
Here is one of the many pictures we took. From all the snow reports I think we will cancel our plans to go to Zion NP and go south somewhere. We had a good time and will see many of you at the Q. Safe travels to all.

Attachments

• WP_001063.jpg
    WP_001063.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 46
John, that's one neat rainbow through the arch!  We saw one rainbow just as we got to I-70 but it was really faint.  Yours is pretty.

ArdraF

zmotorsports said:
Thanks Larry.  It really wasn't a big deal, just had to give you crap.  I know who you were to referring to either way you spelled it. 8)

Mike.

I have big shoulders.  Bring it on. . . . 8)

Tourmaster said:
After taking care of a tire issue we decided to stay another night. We toured the north part of Canyonlands NP.
Here is one of the many pictures we took. From all the snow reports I think we will cancel our plans to go to Zion NP and go south somewhere. We had a good time and will see many of you at the Q. Safe travels to all.

That is a beautiful vibrant rainbow John.  Great pictures.

Mike.

Thanks for the photo compliments. What are the odds? That has to be a one in a million chance of being at the right place at the right time.

Dee finally "woke up" on Monday morning saying "hey, where did everybody go?"  Seriously though, she is much better finally.  We packed up and hit the road Monday morning at 9:00am.  We too ran into snow near Richfield, but only flurries.  You could tell by the accumulation along side the road that there had been quite a storm the day before.  Glad you all made it safely.  We made Vegas by 4:30 and weren't tired at all, so we kept on.  We made the full trip from Moab to Burbank in 1 LONG day.  We arrived home at 10:00pm.  That's 733 miles in 14 driving hours, including the 1 hour time change.  That's a record for us.  Don't necessarily plan on doing that again, but the extra day at home will help since we head out again Thursday for a weekend trip with friends.  Thanks again to the entire "framily" for keeping me entertained while the wife was sick and especially to Mike and Chrystal for hosting a great rally.  Dee definitely wants a do over.  Happy travels y'all. 

Steve & Dee

Steve N Dee said:
Dee finally "woke up" on Monday morning saying "hey, where did everybody go?"  Seriously though, she is much better finally.  We packed up and hit the road Monday morning at 9:00am.  We too ran into snow near Richfield, but only flurries.  You could tell by the accumulation along side the road that there had been quite a storm the day before.  Glad you all made it safely.  We made Vegas by 4:30 and weren't tired at all, so we kept on.  We made the full trip from Moab to Burbank in 1 LONG day.  We arrived home at 10:00pm.  That's 733 miles in 14 driving hours, including the 1 hour time change.  That's a record for us.  Don't necessarily plan on doing that again, but the extra day at home will help since we head out again Thursday for a weekend trip with friends.  Thanks again to the entire "framily" for keeping me entertained while the wife was sick and especially to Mike and Chrystal for hosting a great rally.  Dee definitely wants a do over.  Happy travels y'all. 

Steve & Dee

WOW! Long day. Jeff and I hit a lot of snow and rain in Richfield. Ended up staying in St. George for the night and heading out really early the next morning. Got home on Monday about 3pm. Glad to hear Dee is feeling better. Thanks again for the doggie meds. Looking forward to seeing the "framily" at the next rally. We had a great time. A big thank you to Mike and Chrystal for a great rally.

We just arrived in Conroe, Tx. This evening. Three days of hard driving in the rain. We averaged around 430 miles per day. Deisel is cheap in parts of Texas, the last 2 tanks were $3.25 a gallon.

Sure would like to see diesel price's continue to go down. Best we could find in NM was $3.51.

Glad to hear everyone is getting either home or to their next destination safely.

Henry, at those prices you should purchase a tanker full.

Mike.

Following a mini rally in Camp Verde to visit with long time RVForum Framily, Don and Peg Miller,  we  landed at our Yuma home around 1 pm.  After  just over 6 months absence we  needed to do lots of  blower, pressure washer time to clear patio and then put patio furniture back on patio.  Several issues to resolve, pressure washer did not  work, our music system did not work, my stove  would not light, BUT  now  we are fine. Pool is heating  and temps are  perfect at 75 today !

Went to Post Office to  resume mail, gawked at the new construction since we were gone. Love my home.  Have a dishwasher that is beginning to fill.  Home sweet home until the next RV adventure.

Thanks to  RVForum Framily  ( new and  "Old") who joined us at Moab.  You made the rally special !

Back
Top Bottom