More "lessons" have come up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has 550 cold cranking amps. that is a rating for starting engines. It's a dual purpose battery.

That's great news for me because that's what I paid lol, I was sure it was double. I'll run the generator every morning and every night on days I'm not driving for hours or plugged into shore power.

The bad news is that is not an ideal battery, but is ok for your use.

The good news is if you bought them from an Interstate battery dealer, and have your receipt they comes with a 12 month full replacement warranty, so if they if they die again on this trip, you can get a free replacement.

In other words, you might feel a bit better about working them hard, and running them down a bit more than batteries where you are trying to maximize the life.

He did say they come with a warranty but I didn't pay much attention because I won't be anywhere near there again so it's good to hear another place could potentially honor that. I kept the receipt.

This appears to be the battery that you bought https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/srm-24  There are group 24 size batteries, generally the smallest common size of deep cycle batteries.  With a pair of group 24's in a coach the size of yours, with as many people as you have will likely require daily charging, perhaps twice per day charging while boondocking.  This is a relatively small pair of batteries, I would have expected a coach the size of yours to have at a minimum of 2 group 27's (1 size larger than these), perhaps even a pair of group 31's (2 size larger).

If you don't have one yet, I would strongly suggest a digital display meter to keep track of the battery charge during the day vs the 1/3, 2/3, Full LED lights.  If you don't have a panel meter yet, a simple cheap $10-$15 multi meter which can be found at any Harbor Freight, Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc. can be used to take test reading at the batteries, or house DC fuse panel.  Something like https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Digital-Multi-Meter/876903

If they are the batteries Marty linked to, they do take watering by popping those plugs off the top. Do not fill the holes, just make sure the lead plates are covered by about 1/2" of water. Use only distilled water.  Check monthly. You can use a turkey baster for adding water.

That's a pretty standard marine/RV flooded cell battery type. As others said, not the best but not the worst either.  Literally thousands of RVs use them, and you paid a reasonable price fr them, so I'd say your shopping was a success.

The RC (Reserve Capacity) value of 140 is pretty standard for a Group 24 size marine/rv hybrid battery, and so is the 550 CCA rating. A typical pure starting battery of that size would have a slightly higher CCA and slightly lower RC.  You can probably get 2-3 years of use from them if cared for, but maybe only 9-16 months if worked hard.  "Hard " means discharged below 50% on a regular basis. I suspect your usage is going to fall into the "hard" category - boondocking nearly always does.
Frankly, I wouldn't worry much about adding water unless there are signs the battery has "boiled", but it can be done if needed. Boiling is essentially overcharging and modern 3-stage chargers usually avoid that.

It is the battery that Marty linked to. However those black and red caps were just covering the metal and came off to use them. The metal things don't come off. The batteries probably don't get as much use as one would think with 7 of us boondocking because when we boondock, it's either just crashing somewhere after driving all day to sleep or we're out all day doing stuff. If we leave all day, morning to night, I switch the battery disconnect to store and then back to use when we get back. I'm guessing I won't have to do that now with the new batteries, I did it with the old one once I realized it was on it's way out. We don't watch TV or really "do" much that takes battery except the lights and charging phones.

FYI: The 2 green covers for the individual cells (a cell is 2V, there are 6 all together) do pop off for checking the water levels but you may have use something like a flat screw driver to help them the first couple of times... They are usually quite tight and hard on the fingers at first.

Amanda, looking the batteries you'll see 2 raised parts running down the center with white printing on them. These are plugs, each plugging 3 holes. This is where you check the fluid (electrolyte). They are just pressed into the holes. Just pry them up. These are not maintenance-free batteries and need to be maintained.

Here is a decent video how to check your battery level.  Your cap is a little different, same concept. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+fill+your+battery+with+water&oq=how+to+fill+your+battery&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57.7279j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_m6piXdj0BMO8tgW4oJvYAw23

Amanda,

I have not bothered to jump in here much because the most of the advise you have been getting was so good and on mark.  I am not going to change that, but I am going to recommend that you start another journal.  We in the marine world call it a log. 

You wrote that you make the kids "journal" every night.  This is good because in just a short time, it will all run together.  You will have the same problem.  What I am going to suggest directly is that you start a maintenance log for the coach.  For it to make any sense and have the data retrievable, it will have to be in sections.  You can decide what those sections are, but things like Coach, Engine, Transmission, Brakes, Battery & etc.  would be a good start.   

You say you did not pay attention to the warranty of the new battery because you did not plan to be back there.  Well, Amada Interstate had several thousand dealers in the USA and any can and should honor the warranty.  So, put those receipts in a safe place. 

Now, Alias says "RVMommato6", I have another discipline for you that is actually a relic of my younger times when we lived aboard a 13ton Ketch (sailboat).  You know that you charges have different aptitudes, pick and responsibility for each.  The one who's job it is to look after the batteries can pay attention to both the state of charge and the electrolyte level. (s)He should provide you with regular reports and suggestions.  When the level gets low, it gets brought back up without your over sight.  (But early on you might ask for a regular or daily report.)  You will want to look for battery water at the next grocery stop.  Be sure you have the implements to do the fill adjustment. 

Matt 

I am not sure about that, no one has yet given the obligatory battery acid warnings:

See these videos, first one because it is an interstate brand battery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcBKN3pt0FQ

Second video for actual safety stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsShjJ6nHhw

Glad you got your battery issue taken care of, sounds like the batteries you got are decent.
I normally try and run my generator 2 hours a day while boondocking and it seems to work for  me. You may need more or less depending on your electrical useage.

By the way, greetings from a fellow upstate NYer, I'm from Watertown!
I think its pretty awesome the adventure you and your kids are taking! I'm sure this will be something  those kids remember for the rest of their life.
I have 3 kids and we all like camping, due to the wife and my job schedule, we keep our camper trips local, mostly within 3 hours or so. We did make it as far as Illinois a few years ago and it was a fun and memorable trip.
We are only 36, so hoping to do more cross country travel later in life.

You can get a cheap volt meter that plugs into your cigarette 12 volt outlet. You can get simple ones like this one, or ones that also have usb plugs on them as well as the voltage output reading. You will need a 12 volt plug that is on the house batteries. Lots of rvs have spare ones that are not on the dash. Hopefully yours does. If so, one of these are inexpensive, and easy to monitor your battery state. The outlets on the dash are probably on your engine batteries, so knowing there state of charge is not as important in most cases, as the house doesn't use them for camping, only to start the engine.  Best of luck on your trip. https://www.amazon.ca/Iztoss-Universal-Cigarette-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B074MWWQMN/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?hvadid=74491985220952&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=cigarette+lighter+voltmeter&qid=1567216560&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRTBWMjY1VjZIOEVPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzgyNDQ5MUlFV0kwQ0MyUEhRRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzgyNzY3MU03RkRPUVlZTkg3NyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Plugging a volt meter into the dash cigarette lighter socket will do little good if the lighter socket is connected to the engine starting batteries and not to the house batteries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom