Most trouble free diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William52

Hi all I'm still on my quest for a DP I have seen some info on a dowel pin and head gasket problems on some Cummins engines sure not all. But not so much on Caterpillars . Which one is better? I think fuel use is abt. the same so reliably is key concern. Thanks to all. Will

There are Cummins and Caterpillar engines, but no Cummings.  Each is dependable and will far outlast the coach if they are maintained and cared for properly.  It is like the Ford vs Chevrolet question.  Both are good engines.

CarlGeo said:
Each is dependable and will far outlast the coach if they are maintained and cared for properly.  It is like the Ford vs Chevrolet question.  Both are good engines.

X2. Using these engines in an RV is a "light duty" assignment for machines that were meant for far more strenuous work.  There are hundreds of thousands of these engines on the highways in big trucks and even more in construction and ag equipment and marine use.  My Cat would be happy pulling an 80,000 pound load; having it move ~37,000 pounds is a piece of cake! 

IMO where some RVers go wrong is in assuming that these engines don't need to be regularly maintained because the miles driven and loads are both small.  That's how you can get into trouble.  I try to follow ALL the manufacturer's service recommendations for mine.  It might cost me an extra couple of hundred dollars a year (at most) and it doesn't guarantee that I won't have a component failure, but it does improve my odds.

what ever is in the motorhome your buddy or neighbor just bought. they will tell you all about it.
seriously it is just a chevy vs ford type deal. they are all good till they fail and eventually they will .

I was concerned about the Cummins 5.9 dowel pin failures and how common it is, and how to avoid it and any one who knows the cost or what to do to avoid it. And what years to look for on the head gasket issues. I don't think I'll be looking at anything newer than 2000. Budget small so Benz and Volvo are out of my league. I wonder how many tap into a air line for a air hose to air up bike tires etc. as well. Thanks so much Will.

A diesel pusher with air brakes often comes with a fitting to air up tires etc. It also often comes with a fitting to allow a tow truck to air up the brake system to release the emergency/parking brakes in case of failure.

Ken

They all come with a air chuck in the front to air up the system so you can release the brakes. This is the most common point to get air for tires.
Bill

William52 said:
I was concerned about the Cummins 5.9 dowel pin failures and how common it is, and how to avoid it and any one who knows the cost or what to do to avoid it. And what years to look for on the head gasket issues. I don't think I'll be looking at anything newer than 2000. Budget small so Benz and Volvo are out of my league. I wonder how many tap into a air line for a air hose to air up bike tires etc. as well. Thanks so much Will.
Will, look hear for your info and fix for the killer dowel pin.
http://cumminshub.com/killer-dowel-pin.html
Bill

Great info.many thanks.A neural? and Red loctite on assm. may have helped? I'm sure the water pump right there too. I thought there would be an air source. Most of the DP's in my budget are 1998 and older 25.000.00 and less Some over 100.000 miles in which I will change KDP with a new water pump, belts etc. I'm not a diesel guy but can turn a wrench.

Doing the Dowel Pin fix is pretty basic wrenching,the complication would be how closed in the motor is in the DP. since the timing cover has to come off and crank pulley. I did mine on my Dodge Ram Class C, Diesel puller. Fan, fan shroud had to come out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom