Motorhome canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
Recently I've seen a few ads to motorhome canopies (although no discussion on this forum that I could find)... see photo here of what I'm talking about.  Seems like a good idea for motorhomes stored in extra driveways, as mine will be if I ever buy one.  ;)  Helps prevent sun damage in the winter, rain/water damage year 'round, and keeps heavy snow from piling up on the roof in the winter.  Anyone use one of these?

That wouldn't be allowed in our community, but it sure would help keep the sun off. I'd question its use in snow - it would probably collapse under the weight, although we don't get snow here. If you get high winds, I'd be inclined to add lines and stakes to hold it down.

I've seen a surprising number of them in Las Vegas in some of the RV-friendlier neighborhoods.  Considering the LV winds, they must hold up pretty well.  We knew someone in Reno who had one for his car and snow was not a problem.  If it's rounded, the snow slides off.

ArdraF

I've had two canopies, both for the boat.  The first one lasted about 3 years until the UV destroyed the fabric, the second one didn't last as long.  Didn't stake it down and a wind storm flipped it and bent the legs.  During the winter the snow load bent the legs to collaspe.  Now I have a 32' long X 16' wide  X 7' high boatport to park it under.  The only thing I didn't think about was buying a 34' motorhome to park it under and not enought room next to it to add more or build a new one.  If the house sat 10' back on the lot I could build another, guess I need to move.

Mike

I live in a small rural town so I don't think there's any neighborhood code that would prevent me from having one.  We're pretty country out here.  The wind does get whippin' across all these cornfields and into town sometime, so it looks like I'd need a staked-down canopy with a rounded top.  And a couple extra feet in length than what I actually *think* I'll need.  ;)

Maybe I should consider the canopy route. I've been looking at ads for full-blown portable garages for $2000 and up. Permanent garage type shelters are way more expensive. I've been thinking about buying a cover but that doesn't seem quite the deal. Just something to keep the sun off and the heat inside down a bit. It has to be true that every minute of weather affecting the MH is a good thing.

I might start looking,

BTW - the last community I lived in didn't even allow MH's unless they were completely blocked from view from the street. I was okay with that ands still am, actually. And you couldn't leave a vehicle parked in a driveway for more than 72 hours. I actually turned a neighbor in for that. He was a cantankerous old dude who had a beater in his driveway for endless months and would tinker with it wearing nothing but those little nylon running shorts. He was easy in his 70's. I just got tired of looking at the thing ... and him. I'm totally okay with these kind covenants - and now I own a MH!

They also make a barrel garage that your entire motor home can be inclosed in, here is the link;  Recreational_Vehicle_Shelter_(RV)_with_Zipper_Door,_Solid_End_Bungees_(12'6_H_x_12'W_x_36'L)_IS12236-prod-15986874  I don't have one of these but I think it looks interesting.

the last community I lived in didn't even allow MH's unless they were completely blocked from view from the street

With the size of lots in California, that would preclude RV ownership for probably 90 percent of the population.  You're lucky to have a side yard six feet wide and many are less than that!  In certain areas of the state like the SF Bay Area, finding RV storage less than 60-70 miles away is almost impossible.  You're lucky if you're in a part of the country where you have enough room to park an RV.

ArdraF

Torchbearer said:
They also make a barrel garage that your entire motor home can be enclosed in, here is the link; 
Torchbearer, the link didn't work but a quick check with Google took me to the right page at BuilderDepot. They have a number of different sizes and features in their outdoor garages.
If you need help to make a link you can check out the FAQ button just above these messages.

$1000 for the cheapest one!!  :eek:  I suppose for a $100k rig that might be justified, but I was under the impression that the canopies could be built for $200-300.

Not sure anything for an RV can be done for 2 to 300 Bucks  LOL

When it comes to canopys Pep Boys sells a couple of auto size canopies for around 100 bucks, these are 10 by 20 feet.

Two of them, lashed together and a roll of canvas repair tape you get 10 by 40,  Now all you got to do is make it higher (Extension pipe) and you got an RV park.

John In Detroit said:
When it comes to canopys Pep Boys sells a couple of auto size canopies for around 100 bucks, these are 10 by 20 feet.

Two of them, lashed together and a roll of canvas repair tape you get 10 by 40,  Now all you got to do is make it higher (Extension pipe) and you got an RV park.

Now THAT is what I'm talkin about!  ;D

29er said:
If someone could live link that address

Done.

FYI to post 'live' links in messages, just click the Insert hyperlink icon in the tools above the message composition box. It's the far left one that looks like a globe immediately below the Font tool. If you're using the Quick Reply window rather than clicking the Reply button, these tools may not be visible.

Here is the link to the specific RV canopy.  But $1500 for a piece of roof siding and 8 metal poles seems overpriced, doesn't it?  A design like that would probably be good for sun protection, but seems like it may not hold up well with 3 feet of snow piled on top of it!

Maybe keep an eye on your local Craigslist. There's a guyin my neighborhood right now that has a nice metal/fiberglass canopy for $500 and you might bargain an even better price.  Only catch is the buyer has to take it down and the supports look pretty well stuck in the ground. There was also a guy selling all the PVC pipes for a quonset hut big enough for a 40' RV - buyer supplies the tarp and that could cost a bit. But the pipes were a bargain.

Ebay and Craigslist - good places to get in the habit of checking. Might take some patience but usually what you need pops up ...

scottydl said:
Here is the link to the specific RV canopy.  But $1500 for a piece of roof siding and 8 metal poles seems overpriced, doesn't it?  A design like that would probably be good for sun protection, but seems like it may not hold up well with 3 feet of snow piled on top of it!

It looks like 3" square tubing in the frame.  That should hold up well.  I use it for my motorhome and patio cover in Arizona and for my patio cover in SLC.  If you have any wind in your area, don't use anything too cheap.

Phil

I know many will disagree with me but being an oldtime auto junkie. my belief was always if in won't start o/s in bad weather what good is it if it's garaged and I have to use it to make a trip, it's already used to being o/s and will continue to function.  Being i/s  and taking it out, once it's out it may not start once I shut it off.  Also the o's of the unit has wax and an o's exterior, why keep it i/s.  It might rust but it won't melt.  Also being in the midwest those lightweight canopies won't last very long and may do more harm than good.  I'll leave them outside, I have for over 40 yrs.  Jmho

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom