Motorized Awning Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carney3

I have a 21' Travel'r motorized awning by Carefree of Colorado on my TT.  This afternoon when I pressed the extend switch to deploy the awning it started to extend outward as normal. Then I heard a slight popping sound and released the switch, (what now).  The awning suddenly extended, on its own, in about two seconds. Tried to bring it back in and nothing but the sound of the 12V motor spinning with nothing happening.  When I removed the cover I found a broken worm gear inside. This would be an easy fix if I could find the gear. Does anyone know if this gear can be ordered? It's the one on the roller shaft. If so, where? Or will the entire motor have to be replaced? I have been on numerous webs tonight with no luck at finding the gear nor a replacement motor. According to the manual the part # for the motor is R001326 (seems like some numbers are missing). Any help would be appreciated.     

Parts would have to come from Carefree or one of their dealers. I suggest PPL Motorhomes Parts dept - they are helpful with that sort of thing. Call them and have your awning model number handy.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv_parts_rv_accessories.htm

But I am not optimistic that Carefree will sell just the gear. They probably will offer only a replacement motor drive assembly.

In your note you said that the gear on the "Roller Shaft' was broken, yet you are talking about replacing the 'Drive Motor'. 

If it is the Gear on the "Drive Motor" then you will find that it can be replaced locally.  You will find that the Drive Motor assembly is the same as the Electric Motor used to raise Car windows.  You have to be sure that the number of teeth on the gear is the same. 

When I had to replace mine it was the same as a 96 Caddy.  Take the Drive Motor off and go to your closest NAPA store and spend some time with him going thru the catalogs.  They may have to order it but it is generally a one-day turnaround and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Got through to the dealer today and after a long ordeal as to why I could not bring in the TT with the awning extended.  Finally he looked in his book and actually saw what I was trying to explain to him.  Just in case any others run into this situation this may be helpful to know and save you from a little harm as well.  I rolled the awning up and it was a tough thing to do when you have the power of the two gas shocks pressing the arms outward(they have been working out because these are strong shocks!) ONCE YOU GET IT ROLLED UP DO NOT LET GO! There is enough strength from these two gas shocks to take a 200lb 41 year old guy off a ladder.

Well, at least in this event, it happened to be the gear that not only drives the shaft that turns the roller to extend and retract the awnig but it also holds it locked in place while not extended and traveling. I could not find a way to tie it off to safely travel an hour and twenty minutes to the dealership. I tried running zip ties through the narrow gap where the arm bolts to the side of TT.  The tie had to be very thin to get through. Too thin for travel and trust. If there had been a place for a lockdown pin through the arms it would have been wonderful,not mention a great safety feature. I will be looking into making a way to lock the arms down tomorrow for safety reasons. (without cutting any wiring hopefully).  What would have happened traveling a busy highway and the gear broke and your awning deployed? It has had to happened. Love my awings never had trouble with the one on the last camper (Manual) Love the electric no beams to get in the path I am walking.  :) :)Oh took the motor off and the motor goes to dealer tomorrow.  Thanks for you help!

There is enough strength from these two gas shocks to take a 200lb 41 year old guy off a ladder.

Interesting comment. My Carefree Eclipse has very little pressure from the struts, barely enough to push the tube away from the coach as it starts to unroll. In fact, I often wish it had a little more "oomph" cause it doesn't take much at all to stop it from deploying as it should.  Wonder why the design is different? Maybe too many guys got pushed off ladders and the lawyers trumped the engineers???

[size=12pt][size=10pt]I recently experienced this same problem with my Carefree Awning - the motor worked but the internal gears would no longer engage. This happened the day we were getting ready to pack it up for the winter so we (with great difficulty) folded the awning back and tied it off on the underside of our RV then covered up our RV and left it till this summer to repair.

I called PPL and ordered a replacement motor since this appeared to be the only option. We installed the replacement and discovered one of the main gears had broken into thirds on the one we removed. I will go to NAPA and see if the previous post about obtaining a 96 Caddy window gear will allow us to repair the original motor and keep it as a back up. I'm hoping it will work ....
[/size][/size]

What model of Carefree awning?  The Eclipse uses a Dorman #742-141 window motor. Available on Amazon and Ebay.  But if you need the roller tube gears, I think you have to get those from Carefree. They sell the motor and gears as an assembly and get big bucks.

Back
Top Bottom