MotoSat Antenna Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judway

I have a MotoSAT HD Satellite Antenna with 5 LNB?s. It has a NOMAD 2 controller. It was working fine 4 weeks ago, but at our campout last weekend it would not lock onto the satellite. It has worked in the same site as well as at the house.  When I check the system it does everything normal with no errors, but when I push the ?find? button it searches for about 30 minutes and shuts down, no faults shown.

Anybody have any idea what might be wrong and what to do first?

While the Dish is searching are you getting any signal strength on Satellites 101 and 119.  You can view this on the TV using Setting - Signal Strength.

You may have a LNB problem, no signal.  The Test Dish is testing the Skew, Azimuth and Elevation motors.  I had to remove the COAX connectors at the Dish and use Electrical Spray Cleaner and Silicone Spray Oil.  Ended up cleaning and lubing all COAX connectors between the LNBs and the Controller.

I had a similar problem with my previous Controller and would have to power it off when I got the best overall Signal Strength on all the LNB.  Took a little practice but now I am proficient, I let 101 and 119 get into the high 90s and then check my HD Satellites 99 and 103 for the highest signal.

weewun

Thanks for the information. I planned to do what you suggest but waited for more suggestions to see what might be easier and be able to stay off the roof.

Thanks

judway

Judway,

I have had this problem several times over the last 6 + years or so.  The thing I found that fixes it is to re-install the software into the Controller box.

BTW, the instructions printed on the back of the module are not very complete BUT there is a more detailed set of instructions in the 2-page write up that is included with the Programming Module.

Because of this I purchased a "SD Programming Module" from MotoSAT. 

SEE ATTACHED PHOTOS

JerryF

Attachments

• MotoProgMod-4.JPG
    MotoProgMod-4.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 17
  • MotoProgMod-3.JPG
    MotoProgMod-3.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 13
  • MotoProgMod-2.JPG
    MotoProgMod-2.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 16
  • MotoProgMod-1.JPG
    MotoProgMod-1.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 14
Thanks for the information. Where do you get the module? I understand that MotoSat is no longer in business. 

I have a serial to USB cable, but do not have the communications program on my computer. I have successfully used it in the past to update the MotoSAT software, but it would be a big hassle to do it now.

I would like to get the upgrade module if available. However, I will check all of the cables sometime in the next 2 or 3 days as soon as I get up the nerve to go up onto the roof.

The phones at MotoSAT are dead but do look at www.motosat.com for some info.

Your Motosat Nomad2/Nomad3 manual explains how to update the software using either the Update Module or the Cable as you have done before.  If you do not have this manual I can send you a PDF copy BUT you'll have to send me a private message with your email address because it is 2,178,000 bytes (to large to send through the RV Form).

The Update module part number is:  252-NOMAD2-PM but I don't know where you could get one.

The latest software version is Ver 40.8 for our Nomad 2/3 boxes.  If you do not have the latest version I can send you a copy.

JerryF

I think I have the manual, if I don't have it there is a download available. It has 29 pages.

If cleaning the cables does not fix it I will check the revision number and if necessary I will get back to you for the update. I haven't updated for several years and everything has worked up until last weekend.

Thanks

Judway,

I just thought of one more thing.  Because it is so easy, do this BEFORE you climb up on the roof.  Look in your manual and do a TEST DISH.  Then try one more time to find the satellites.

Good Luck,

JerryF

Today I got onto the roof and removed the cable interface cover. The cables looked in good shape but I didn?t remove them to check completely, because I had something else to do soon. I reinstalled the covers.

I came back down and checked for turn on. I first went to ?Test Dish? everything went just as it was supposed to. I then pushed FIND. The controller went into the search mode and again acted normal except it never found the satellite.

Next I switched the receiver to Signal Strength as suggested by weewun and watched the zero numbers come up. All of a sudden the chart showed a 99 signal strength for transponder 1 satellite 101 followed by similar numbers on some of the other transponders. I made a dash for the OFF button before the antenna got off the satellite. Too late.  I started again and remained ready to get the switch to off when I got a good number. After a long time the 99 level showed up again. This time I got the controller off and still had good signal strength. The picture said loading the Guide and after a long while it said to reboot. I rebooted and after quite a while everything came up and I got a good picture. I checked all of the channels and it was just as it was supposed to be, HD and all, but the lock light was still out.

From this test I would say that the cable feeding the receiver is good. I think my software is updated to either REV 40 or 38.

I have a copy of the owners guide and availability to Rev 40.8 software but what communications program works with Windows 7? As I remember it was difficult using the old communications program and XP. My computer ability is no longer good and getting worse.

Thanks!

A company called RF Mogul has taken over all  the rights and properties of the former MotoSAT.  All the former owners of MotoSAT started this company a few years back.
I would suggest that you contact them to see if they have or can get you one of the update modules which make loading the software into your controller a one step routine and no computers are required.  They should also be able to provide you with some tech. support that might assist you without the need of new firmware.
http://www.rfmogul.com/

I hope you get your problem solved, cause I google mapped their address on
the website and it still can't find it. I hope I did something wrong.... :-\

kathy1561 said:
I hope you get your problem solved, cause I google mapped their address on
the website and it still can't find it. I hope I did something wrong.... :-\

You Googled what address and website.  We all know that MotoSAT is out of business.

Bill.Winegard said:
You Googled what address and website.  We all know that MotoSAT is out of business.

R F Mogul LLC
3604 S. Via Terra Street
South Salt Lake, UT 84115-4326

When a street can't be found in Google maps, it usually means it's a very new street and isn't in the database yet.  However, in this case Google just doesn't have the street named.  I did find it in Street Atlas and here's a Google map showing the location.

[quote author=Bill.Winegard]I included a link to the RF Mogul website in my post above.[/quote]

Methinks you might have misunderstood Kathy's comment Bill. Ned got it right.

Back
Top Bottom