My introduction, story and a whole bunch of questions ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skippityboo

Hallo

So first a little about me ...

I'm a 42 yrs old women, semi retired, 2 dogs and recently found myself in a situation where buying a travel trailer and hitting the road for a year or two is a real option and an extremely tempting idea.

I've always been fascinated with the tiny house movement and I think it will do me a lot of good to downsize and let go of the things I own.

I want experiences, not stuff!

I've experienced RV living before, in a 38 foot rig, several years ago but that was with a partner. This time I'm considering doing it alone.

I'm smart enough, YouTube is my friend and I don't doubt I'm capable of doing this ... But I really am clueless about so much too!

My first questions would be about my set up ...

I think I'm looking at a travel trailer sort of situation (may consider a fifth wheel) and my choices are ...

1) Buy a reasonably reputable higher end trailer (I am drooling over airstream trailers current, can anyone recommend other brands that have a good reputation?) , probably second hand, that would have a decent resale value later.

Or

2) Buy a new, cheap trailer, with the expectation that I'll not get a whole lot back at the end of my 1-2 year adventure. (Does anyone have any ideas?)

I understand both have their issues, I just wondered if anyone has any thoughts / resources that they wish to share.

I really just want to start having "the conversation" if for no other reason it might give me pointers I hadn't considered.

This leads on to my next question ...

What kind of vehicle do I use to tow my travel trailer?

Now, I think I can get the math down, and work out GVW etc, but I've also never bought a car in my life.

Assuming I've got a trailer around 20-30 feet long (living space isn't so much of an issue as storage is, as much as I want to give up my stuff, I do craft / hobbies / work equipment I'll need with me)

I could have a small house and use my truck bed w/ a cab over it, to be my "storage area"?

Are their any vehicles / brands you recommend? Again probably second hand, no older than 2010.

My biggest concerns are reliability and power to be able to tow what I need to tow. (Which obviously depends on my first question).

My third question for the day would be traveling with pets.

I worry that if I went out for the day, I have to be hooked up to ensure A/C was running etc etc so that my boys didn't bake in a big tin can.

I've read about gadgets etc that can message my cell phone to temp changes etc etc

Plus if I follow the weather, I can avoid some of the concern.

Again, really just trying to open a conversation to hear about things I might not of considered.

As for budget, my monthly income is pretty decent, I can pull some money from savings to buy the trailer/ truck if I'm not going to lose a lot in re selling in a couple of years. (I expect some depreciation, but I'd rather buy quality that lasts and sells well than cheap n throwaway)

Anyway ... That's my introduction, story and a bunch of newbie questions.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to hearing from you.

I would suggest sticking to something small enough that you feel comfortable pulling.  If you want a trailer, check into Casitas, which are small and easy to pull.  Also, know that 5th wheels and motorhomes have more storage than trailers because they have bins underneath. 

Check out RVSue's setup.  Just do a search on her name.  She uses a full-sized van to pull a Casita because of the storage in the van.  The only problem is that her blog is acting crazy asking for a password, but that will be fixed in a couple of days. 

I have a 32' motorhome and love the storage for full-timing, but do not tow a vehicle, which may not be right for you.  There is a women's forum you might want to check out at http://www.womenrv.com/forum/index.php?sid=83cb3c4459bab5621a3f4e0ceef08d8a  for any women-specific advice.  They might also help with pets.  I don't have any because I don't like the idea of leaving them in a hot vehicle, but many do manage.

Thank you JudyJB.

I tried looking in the forum for RVSues posts, and I guess I failed because I could only find posts talking about her and nothing posted by her herself.

I will continue to check out her website when it's back to fully functioning.

I looked at her trailer (yes, I've done motor home with a towed vehicle before, and I think I want truck/trailer combo instead this time) and it's adorable.

However, I think I want something with a real bed. A mattress made out of several cushions does look very comfortable for full time living.

I'm not too concerned about towing a longer trailer, it's going to take some getting used to, but I'm not afraid to try (that's what insurance is for right?)

I'm also considering a toy trailer, to basically allow me to customize my own studio/ room, but still have the bed, bath, kitchen area.

I'll certainly be checking out womanRV forum ... Thank you so much for that link.

Howdy and welcome Skippityboo!  You have so many options that it is difficult to get started.  ;)  I'd suggest deciding what matters most to you and starting there. The tow vehicle matters a great deal but it may vary somewhat depending on the type/size of trailer you select. For total storage space, a big class A motorhome with full basement  is very hard to beat, plus easy to setup. Go tour as many rigs as possible to get a good idea of what you like and don't like. The RV "shows" are usually nice as sale people tend to leave you alone (unless you want help).

An older used unit CAN be an excellent starting point but they can also be a money pit. Tread carefully.

Good luck!  The fulltiming life is pretty neat!  :)

Since you want room for crafting, and probably space for a computer or maybe tv viewing, I think you will want something larger than a Casita. And a larger bath too. Living in an RV makes you appreciate a bit of extra room!  I'm not saying it can't be done, but I see little reason to be cramped either. You can tow 25-30 feet almost as easily as 15-20.  But it's really all about YOU, and what YOU find comfortable.

I am firmly in the camp of buying used, and buying a mid or high end model. It's financially much smarter plus there is almost zero advantage to buying new. If you think that "new" means "trouble-free", think again! People get hung up on the used car mentality, i.e. that they are buying someone else's problems, but an RV is more like a house than a car. They get traded because their owners have outgrown them, or their needs have changed, and not necessarily because they have issues.

Probably the best choice of tow vehicle is a diesel-powered pick-up truck, but a larger SUV works well too (if the trailer size is within reason). If you keep the trailer in the under-30-ft range, you can probably use one of the newer half ton pick-ups with a turbo-charged V6 gas engine and have a comfortable and stylish vehicle as well as decent towing capacity. At some size/weight point, however, it just makes more sense to move to a larger truck and diesel power. Keep an open mind on that - there is no need to be frightened of the word "diesel".  In any case, choose your trailer size & type first, and let that drive the choice of tow vehicle.

My recommendation is that you spend a LOT of time looking at various trailers to see what will suit your wants and needs. Don't just look at the trim either. Stand in the shower, sit on the commode, think about where the toaster or coffee pot will stow away, and where to put the dirty clothes. These are all real world concerns when you live in an RV as opposed to spending a weekend.

Also consider a mid-sized Class C ( or B+) motorhome and tow a small car. It's actually easier than towing a trailer, and, and easier to set up at a campsite. Plus, for a women traveling alone, it's a bit more comforting to know you can always simply drive off in your house if things get scary.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Stand in the shower, sit on the commode, think about where the toaster or coffee pot will stow away, and where to put the dirty clothes.

Gary is right on the money!!  My toilet/bathroom is my reading room so SUPER important!!  ;)  I occasionally see people complaining about the size of their shower too - not exactly sure why, it doesn't change after purchase.  :)

Some great replies, thank you all so much.

Just to clarify, I did 4 months full time in an RV, towing a smart car. I liked that set up until we had to take it in for emergency repairs in the road and ended up being trapped in the only hotel in town that would not let me leave the dogs in the room (read: I watched a lot of HBO and ate take out for a week, they wouldn't even let me use the pool ?).

Least with a trailer I can live in that while truck is being repaired, or if needs must, live in a truck while trailer is getting repaired.

I'm not too worried about traveling alone, I'll have a big dog and a .45 with me, it's no more worrying than living on my own in the countryside.

I currently drive a huge GMC Sierra truck, it's a big monster of a truck, diesel, however if you asked me it's specs I'd twirl my hair and say "uh, it's white" - unfortunately I lose that in the divorce. I mention it only because I am used to driving a truck with hips.

What I'm struggling with is my utter lack of knowing what the "good" and "reliable" brands are out there.

Obviously I've heard about airstream and researched floor plans, storage etc etc for hours, and yes I love how they look.

What I'm curious about is other "quality" brands, ones that have excellent customer service, have a history of being reliable etc - I have no idea who I need to be researching. (I don't want to fall in love with a floor plan to discover the trailer is a POS)

Same goes with trucks, I love driving my GMC truck, it's more than enough for what I want to tow, but before I go and buy an exact replica I want to research other trucks and see if there is anything better / cheaper. Who should I research?

In way of an explanation ... I'm British, I'm here on a green card, and I've lived and worked at home in the middle of the countryside, so I've had a very shielded experience of USA culture (brand names, places, how things work)

Before I commit to being a citizen of the USA, and a life in the USA post divorce, I want to take a year or two to fully explore. Then I'll decide if I want to return to Europe or not. (And then I might even do the same around Europe :) )

Hence the desire to buy quality that should have a decent resale value a year or three down the line.

And yes, I'll most probably buy second hand (2010 or newer).

Thanks again to everyone who replied, and I'm excited to hear what you have to say.

Maybe you two are in the same region of the country?

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,94636.msg860463.html#msg860463

Bill

Hello.  These are some sites that you may want to look.  I dearly love reading Sue's blog, and it is back up and running.  I think transporting either one of the fiberglass trailers might be easy if you decide to travel in both the USA and Europe.  I wish you well in your search.

http://rvsueandcrew.net/
http://olivertraveltrailers.com/
http://casitatraveltrailers.com/

I have nothing important to contribute, but that I love your way with words and your writing skills. Thank you.

retiredcajunlady said:
Hello.  These are some sites that you may want to look.  I dearly love reading Sue's blog, and it is back up and running.  I think transporting either one of the fiberglass trailers might be easy if you decide to travel in both the USA and Europe.  I wish you well in your search.

http://rvsueandcrew.net/
http://olivertraveltrailers.com/
http://casitatraveltrailers.com/

I've just started looking at RVSues blog today, great photos, cute pups!

Thank you for the links, the Oliver and the Casita are a little smaller than I want though.

I'm looking around 25-30 feet, so that I have a full walk around bed/ separate bedroom. I don't think I could handle living full time in a trailer with cushions for a mattress.

They are adorable though!

murphysranch said:
I have nothing important to contribute, but that I love your way with words and your writing skills. Thank you.

Aww shucks!

Funny! you are the 2nd person to say that to me this month, which I find hilarious as I'm terrified / very self conscious of writing.

Not so much casual writing like this, but anything like blog posts / work / official - anything formal.

The only reason I started a career in IT was because computers had spell check on them and they could hide my handwriting ?

I'm told I write like I speak, maybe that's why some enjoy reading it???

driftless shifter said:
Maybe you two are in the same region of the country?

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,94636.msg860463.html#msg860463

Bill

I couldn't find anything that indicated his location. I'm northern Illinois currently.

I know Oliver will do custom mattresses, but as you wrote...they are small.  I suggested both Casita and Oliver because of the well made quality you were seeking, and they hold their value for resale.  This isn't something most TT do.  You may want to look at the Keystone Passport.  Though I have no personal knowledge, my research reveals quality.  Take care and good luck!

I love the Unity MB24        http://www.leisurevans.com/  Full bath, great reputation, and full bath.  I will stop now. 

retiredcajunlady said:
I love the Unity MB24        http://www.leisurevans.com/  Full bath, great reputation, and full bath.  I will stop now.

Wow! Even thou I said I didn't want a RV, I'm very glad you showed me them!

I love the layouts, I'll certainly be researching them!

Thank you.

retiredcajunlady said:
I know Oliver will do custom mattresses, but as you wrote...they are small.  I suggested both Casita and Oliver because of the well made quality you were seeking, and they hold their value for resale.  This isn't something most TT do.  You may want to look at the Keystone Passport.  Though I have no personal knowledge, my research reveals quality.  Take care and good luck!

I'll add that to my list of night time reading too!

Thank you

My other thought is this ...

You can get trailers as little as $20k new, maybe I just just get a cheap trailer, ride it hard, and not worry about the resale value at all?

Sure it has less insulation, plastic taps etc ... But anywhere I rent in my location would probably have the same cheap issues.

Sure, maybe I'd lose 75% or more, but even if I end up spending 10k on fixes over two years, it's still the same as totally lost money like rent?

Anyone done this? Made this choice? Got a horror story to tell me?

Hi, we're very new to this and live in Scotland and have just been given 6 month visitor visas. We've just bought a Heartland Sundance 288rls TT.  With the hitch it's just over 33ft long, 28ft living space. It wasn't cheap to us, but compared to some of the rigs out there, it probably was - $32k plus tax roughly, we bought a dodge ram 2500 6.4L Hemi to tow it. I really like it. It's easy to hitch up (the other half tends to do it, but I got the training and it's fine unless you need to remove the tow bar from truck which is quite heavy).  You don't notice you are towing it either. That aside it isn't the plushest, ie the materials are cheap mdf etc which i suspect will be cheap and easy to replace. However it is really comfortable and does look pretry good. 2 recliners, 2 seater couch, dinette with 4 chairs, or you can get the bench seat which is standard and gives more storage so might suit you better. Toilet & shower spacious and better than I expected. We have a queen bed and a decent amount of storage in cupboards. We got 2 aircons but so far haven't used the 2nd one much. We have had the heating on too and it was pretty good. Not sure if it would do in sub zero but we were very comfortable and only had it on for half an hour to take the chill out of the air. It has 3 slide outs. Heartland owners forum would seem to say the quality is good. Just a suggestion. Hope you get on ok and find something suitable I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. Get out west there's a lot to see! Good luck!

PS you're writing is good, maybe get a blog started to detail your experiences ?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1465276337100.jpg
    FB_IMG_1465276337100.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom