need a new porta potti in my camper - any pros and cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpcmbw

I've got an old porta potti 235 in my pop up truck camper. I replaced the seal around the flush hole, but it's still leaking. I could probably fix it, but I'm thinking it's time for a new potti. Anyone have suggestions on what's good or bad? I've got a small space about 14" wide by 18" deep to put it in.

Thanks for any ideas.

We have owned two Thetford Porta Potti's over our 40+ years of camping and both have been fine units.

Looks like your "about 14 inch" width is a limiting dimension.  That might limit you to the 135 model with 2.6 gallons fresh and black water tanks.  Have always wondered why in the lower end (numbering) units the fresh water tank is as big OR BIGGER then the black water tank.

If you can find a way to get 15" of width I would recommended the model 365 or if you wish the 465 (365 + electric flush).  They have a 4 gallon fresh water tank and a 5.5 gallon black water tank.  Makes much more sense.

Our current unit is a Sears 365 Packa Potti by Thetford (same 365 Porta Potti).  The tanks are sized, at least for us, so that the fresh water tank empties just about at the same point as the black water tank gets full.  5.5 gallons of black water is heavier now then it was 15 years ago.  I now target emptying the black water tank when it is 1/2 to 2/3rds full.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/PortableToilets/tabid/83/Default.aspx

we had a thetford in our pup.  I guess it was the 135.  It worked well.
I was always amazed at how easy and clean the thing was to empty.  great design, but it was a little small... tank size was fine, just short and small.

I made a simple plywood base for it, with approx 1/4in lip around the edge, scribed so the pottie fit inside the rim to hold it in place.  4 small caster wheels under it allowed the pottie to be rolled out of the stow location for use.

I have read that folks with the electric flush versions really like them.  I can see that it would be nice.... but my luck would be that when I need it most, the batteries would be dead.

and yes, it almost seemed like we could go a whole season without filling the fresh water tank!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom