Need Advice on TT Leveling and Chocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Urban Hillbilly

I have a dual axle 28' trailer. I have to get leveling blocks, or system of some kind (like multi level plastic kind), or 2 x 8 wood blocks. Any recommendations? Also, when leveled, best way to chock the wheels. Looking at the scissor type that expands between the sets of wheels. Looks the most logical, but is it?

There are a lot of fancy ways to accomplish leveling and chocking, but I never found anything better than about ten or a few more 2x6s, about 16" long, I used the non treated spruce rather than heavier treated southern pine. They will not last as long but a lot lighter. A few 4x4 blocks about 12" long for chocks and worked fine at low cost.

If you have access to a bandsaw, cutting 4x4s into a wedge shape works quite well for chocks.

We like the multi-level plastic blocks you mention. They're light weight, rinse clean, take up little storage space and on the rare occasions when we need to stack them two-high, a trio of three makes a ramp that fits neatly between the axles,with another trio ahead the front axle or behind the rear. A pack of ten handles that and leaves 4 to reduce the tongue jack extension. We've never needed to stack them more than two-high.
If you chock the side that isn't on the blocks you'll be safe. (If you think you need leveling blocks on both sides, rethink it.)
We also use X-Chocks for added stability and though they shouldn't be relied on as chocks, they nonetheless add a smidgen of safety.

For the past twenty years and three tandem trailers, I use the "leggo blocks". they are light weight, stack neatly and are easy to clean.
I also just use the plastic chalks on the opposite side from where I have the leveling blocks.

You can start with the 2" x stuff, like I did, but my guess is eventually you'll switch to the plastic blocks

jack L

Thanks for the input. Two sides to it, the DIY and store bought. It seems like the plastic ones will lock together, not sure how to keep wood blocks from sliding off each other if stacked in two layers.

I guess the question answered that really helps is that I only need to chock the non-leveled side.

The problem with wood is that it's slippery.  If you have to go more than a few boards high things can slide quite a bit when you hit the brakes getting up on the blocks.

The other thing: chock both sides.  I prefer the scissor type.  Put them on tight and then tighten them up again when the tires cool down.

Both of these things were learned the hard way.

I use one set of the legos blocks and like them a lot. I also put down a large strip of rubber cut out of a stable mat to put them on. It keeps the gravel and hard rough surfaces from damaging the blocks and slipping. I would suggest getting two sets because sometimes i have needed the little bit more height but didn't have enough blocks. I only chock the low side and don't like it. I am going to get a scissor chock type soon.

skeeter

When we had our TT thishttps://andersenhitches.com/Products/3604--camper-leveler.aspx  is what we found to be the easiest and quickest tool to level a TT.  With tandem wheels like we had obviously you will need two, but IMHO they were worth there weight in gold. 

Gizmo said:
When we had our TT thishttps://andersenhitches.com/Products/3604--camper-leveler.aspx  is what we found to be the easiest and quickest tool to level a TT.  With tandem wheels like we had obviously you will need two, but IMHO they were worth there weight in gold.

X2.  These are a little pricey, but IMHO, well worth it.  Set up is quick and you can vary the height (within max limit) infinitely. 

We used to use the plastic blocks until one exploded under pressure sending shards of plastic flying.  That was our fault - the plastic blocks were on uneven ground and couldn't take the stress that way.  So if you go with them and the ground isn't very even, I'd put them on top of boards to provide them with uniform support.

I'm a lumber kind of guy. My primary levelers are four 2x8x12 with 45* cuts on each end. I agree they can get slippery if stacked more than two high but we're "RV Park" kind of campers so I rarely have to use more than 1-1/2" on one side to level up. I also have a bag of the plastic blocks that I mainly use under the landing gear or stabilizers if the site is way off.

I use a combo of various lengths of 2x8's and rubber strips (cut out of a 3/4" stall mat, near-indestructible material) for leveling.  With the boards and rubber pieces "sandwiched" there is no slipping when multiple layers are needed.  Depending on terrain of the campsite, you can also dig DOWN a short trench and drop one side of the trailer instead of (or in addition to) raising the other side.

Chock are the cheap plastic triangle ones, plus the X-chocks and then corner jacks for added stability.

The Andersen levelers look nice and quick, but I can't bring myself to spend $80 for the double set I'd need.

If the slippery is a bother (it was not for me) a quick coat of enamel paint (orange, even!) and a sprinkle of sand before it drys should solve that.

Back when I was young and still foolish, I remember at Watkins Glen Raceway cribbing the left front tire up about 16 inches to get level on a race  weekend.

In any case, whatever levels your rig! :)

I carried a pile of lumber with me for several years.  A friend we camp with bought the Anderson leveler system for his camper.  I helped him level his camper one time and I was sold.  They are so much easier to use than the pile of lumber I was carrying around.  $80 for a tandem axle trailer is kind of expensive but they are fast and easy to use.  Now I can use the storage compartment for more important things like table clothes and cheap plastic solar lights.

Gizmo said:

I just looked at your link. Those look pretty "sweet" and easy. I'm glad I haven't purchased any others yet. I saw on Amazon you can get them with a rubber no-slid pad that goes under them.

I use Anderson levelers as well and really like them.  Just make sure you center those on your tires so you don't have large amount of tire tread sticking our in the air.  Also, take care coming off those blocks.  If you just drive over them like some of the videos, the levelers will shoot up and your tires will come down with a thud.

I've had the Andersen levelers since day one of my camping trailer career....last fall.  They are a bit expensive, when compared to other products, but setup is quick, simple, and easy.  Personally, I wouldn't trade mine for any other system.

When on asphalt or other hard surface how do you all keep from having the yellow plastic ones spitting out from under the tire when you pull up on it?  The first time I tried to use them that is what happened. So I went to Home Depot and got some 2x8 boards. I haven't had any problems with them so far.  I use the yellow plastic under the stabilizers.

I may look at the Andersons at some point though.

Just a note......the Andersens can be bought in pairs instead of individually, and they are usually a bit cheaper that way.....if you need two because you have a tandem axle trailer.

Debra17 said:
When on asphalt or other hard surface how do you all keep from having the yellow plastic ones spitting out from under the tire when you pull up on it?  The first time I tried to use them that is what happened. So I went to Home Depot and got some 2x8 boards. I haven't had any problems with them so far.  I use the yellow plastic under the stabilizers.

I may look at the Andersons at some point though.

Looked at the Andersons, and I imagine that using them on asphalt, especially during hot weather, would make a very neat, uniform groove(grooves?) in the asphalt. Unless .................

I still use the lego blocks, and have found that on dirt and asphalt, that sections of a old treadmill belt work great under them. Very lightweight, and easy to store. Some others here also cut sections of rubber stable matting for that purpose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom