Need CG Recommendations for Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmsboss1

We are currently at Glacier NP, but will be headed east in the next week or so. 

The above three POI are on our list and we would appreciate any recommendations for CG with full hookups.

Also, any recommendations for other POI's in the area that we shouldn't miss would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Don and Mary Ann

Depending on your route, the Charlie Russell Museum in Great Falls, the Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center also in/near great Falls, the MT historical  museum in Helena and also the sights in Helena, last Chance Gulch etc.  The Headwaters of the Missouri River in Three Forks and the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman (we are in Belgrade near the Flying J!)  and the Custer Battlefield near Hardin.  All in MT and along one of the routes to WY etc.  I am not current on the route more directly from Great Falls to Billings as I have not been that way in over 50 years.  :'(

If you stop in Three Forks, there is a deli at the junction of MT 287 and I-90 that is very good, and Custer's Last Root Beer Stand in town has great Rootbeer like A&W used to be!!!!  There is KOA in Three Forks, nuff said!  If you stop in Bozeman, the Sunset RV Park or Bear Canyon RV park are there also a KOA west of town.

There is a nice campground in the park at Devil's Tower, no hookups but nice, quiet near a prairie dog town and lots of other animals in the forest about a mile from the tower itself.  There is also a commercial campground just outside the park.  We did not check it out though as the one in the park suited us.  ;)

I would probably stay at the Custer park if doing both it and MT. Rushmore but have not stayed there in about 15 years so you need some else to comment on that.

Free boondocking at Cabelas in Mitchell SD.

Ash fall state park in NE Nebraska is a small gem. In situ fossil mammals at a 10 million year old water hole covered by volcanic ash.

We stayed at the Park just outside of Devils Tower. We took a  nice day hike  around the Tower there.  As Jim said the Park  inside   Devils Tower  is lovely but with our 40 foot rig, we would have been too long for most of the sites.  A 36 foot and under would have more options.  We only needed to stay one night to see all we needed.

When you visit Mt Rushmore I suggest allowing time to stay over until their night time show.  It's impressive with lights.  We went in late afternoon and had dinner in the large visitor center in the  Park.  

Are you guys Elks?  Rapid City has a VERY  lovely RV camp of about 8  sites with Water and Electric on a golf course.  Rapid City is a short commute to Mt Rushmoore, Crazy horse and touristy things. Several years ago we visited a nearby  Missle  site on a Military base ( I can't recall the name sof anything) The trip swas NOT TO MISS in my opinion.  Especially if you grew up in the cold war days with bomb shelters and always heard about those missles.

Betty

We just returned from the Mt. Rushmore area.  We stayed at Big Pine RV Park  in Custer, S.D.  From there we went to  Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park,
Wind Cave National  Park and Deadwood.  You could also go to the Badlands National Park  and Wall Drug from there,  But we saw it on our way to the next stop.
Devils Tower could be done in a Day trip from there,  but I have no first hand experience here.

Big Pine was a nice park.  Good Showers and Baths.  Place was kept up  very well.  They are a GS Park,  and a  PA park.  So we ended up getting 3 nights for the price of two.
Jim

There is a KOA Camp Ground at the foot Of Devils Tower.  You can sit out nightly and see Devils Tower and watch the movie Close Ecounters and see the Tower.

A big "Thank You" to everyone who sent suggestions.

Thought we owed you all a report on what we did with your input, so here it is!

As usual, while I was asking for suggestions, Mary Ann/The Pelicanlady/The Navigator was on the phone making reservations -- and a good thing, too!

It seems that just at the time we wanted to be in the Black Hills/Custer State Park area, the Custer State Park was holding its annual Buffalo Roundup and Sale.  The town of Custer has a weekend full of scheduled events and lots of people show up.  How big a deal is it?  Over 12,000 people showed up in the Park on Monday to watch the round up!

Plus the weather forecast for the weekend was just about perfect and with winter just around the corner lots of folks from the surrounding area wanted one last weekend in the Park!

We were lucky to get a reservation at the Rafter J Bar RV Resort, about 3 miles south of the town of Hill City and just about in the middle of everything we wanted to do.  We'd recommend this campground.  It's big rig friendly with most sites very satellite suitable, although they can put you in the shade if you want to be there.  Can't speak to the showers and restrooms, but the laundry facilities are very clean and modern.  Also, most of the site are far enough from the highway to keep the traffic noise to a minimum.

So what did we do?

On the trip down (two 400 mile days with a break in Billings), we stopped at the Lewis and Clark National Historical Trail Interpretive Center (thanks, Jim).

Saturday, 26th, Scenic US385 up through the Black Hills, to Deadwood, Lead, Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway,  and on to Devils Tower and return.

Sunday, 27th, It was too cold and windy to enjoy being outside and our experience with crowded scenic and Park roads yesterday led us to spend the morning doing laundry and the afternoon shopping in Rapid City about a 25 mile jaunt (one way).

Monday, 28th, Jewel Cave National Monument, Wind Cave NP, Mt. Rushmore. Note to anyone planning to got to Mt. Rushmore, be aware that the faces are in shadow starting around 2 PM. It was too cold to stay for the Lighting Ceremony (40 degrees at 6:30!)

Tuesday, 29th, Mt. Rushmore this morning to get pictures with sun on the Monument faces, then the Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway, Custer State Park Wildlife Loop, and we'll be going to Mt. Rushmore again tonight for the Lighting Ceremony.

We will be leaving tomorrow because of the weather forecast for Wednesday night and Thursday.  Will be checking out The Badlands and Wall Drug on the way East!

Thanks again for all the good advice!

Don and Mary Ann

Wow - the Buffalo Roundup just made the Denver news while I was reading Don's post. So how was the roundup?

The Corn Palace in Mitchell SD is an interesting place, too, if you're passing that way.

Wendy

Wendy -- 

We have an aversion to crowds, so missed the roundup.  After talking to people who went, we realize we probably missed an interesting time. Next time.....

As to Mitchell, SD, one of Mary Ann's best friends grew up there so every time we go near it we stop and get a Corn Palace picture for her....and lately so we can visit the Cabela's there!

Don

gmsboss1 said:
We have an aversion to crowds, so missed the roundup.  After talking to people who went, we realize we probably missed an interesting time. Next time.....

I'm with you on crowds. Not sure how I'll be next week at Abq Balloon Fest. I guess there are some things that are so special that you just have to suck it up and put up with the crowds.

Wendy

As yes, Mount Rushmore. Just to prove how crazy I really am I will post my Mt Rushmore photo.

Attachments

• Mt rush.jpg
    Mt rush.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 44
Wendy --

Mary Ann and I agree that we would find a way to deal with the crowds if we could get to the Abq Balloonfest --- that's really special! --

but we still do not hold the Buffalo roundup in the same esteem....

Tom -- great pic! It's good to have a little fun whenever we get a chance.....

Don

A couple of those Mt. Rushmore heads appear very lifelike.  You just can't beat the quality of a good black and white photo. ;) :D ;D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom