Need help in making best choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdbullandbear

Hi everyone! Just registered a minute ago.
Needing very much needed help. If you could.
Living in milford, Pa 18337. Cold weather winters.
Backstory: We are due to sell existing residential home and use $$ to build a small ranch.
We need a place to live n work. I own 3 rotties n 1 Lab/Golden mix n own a home based dog training biz. No one will ever consider renting to us hands down lol. Sooo, township says put in septic n well n you can place an rv on property to live in during the build (1 yr +/- for completion). Ok! Great idea.
I'm inexperienced and don't know what's best to buy. I don't want the underbelly to freeze. I don't want to freeze. I don't want to sweat either.
Need storage, need room for my dogs, and a space for 1 or 2 kennels to house board & train or petsitting clients.
Need biggest fridge, kitchen counterpart. King bed.
Just my husband n myself.
Looking at used and maybe even keeping to travel down South so not to impose Mom with 4 big dogs when we visit. We had 2 but due to circumstances we now have 4.
Is a 5th wheel even the right choice in rvs? If so, then based on your experience what's a model that would do well in this weather n a good floor plan?
Are there toy haulers that don't look like your living on a garage? Hope I'm not offending someone.
Really looking for real help.
I'd like to be no more than $20k. I'd pay cash. Need the rest to build new home.
Thank you all so very much.

Welcome to the forums! Plenty of friendly and knowledgeable folks here!
Sounds like you’re considering a towable RV (vs a motorized RV). Lots of reasonable arguments can be made for either. As far as towable RVs go, what do you have in way of a tow vehicle? A fifth wheel is going to need a well equipped 3/4 ton (250,2500) or a one ton (350/3500) pickup. With all the canines of the size you’re talking about, a fifth wheel or a class A or a super C are pretty much going to be your only options (at least imo).

A large travel trailer would likely meet your needs. With a budget of $20K, you're probably looking at a used trailer. The big issue will be keeping warm in those PA winters. We can offer plenty of advice about that after you obtain an RV.

Before you sign on the dotted line it would be wise to have a potential RV inspected by an NRVIA certified inspector.

The best way to figure out what you want is to go to the big indoor RV shows. There is 1000's of ways to configure 200 to 400 sq ft. It is a very personal choice.

4 dogs and two humans in an RV is just plain ridiculous. You will need the biggest fifth wheel you can find. But for $20k that is almost impossible. Good luck.

Get the biggest trailer that you possible can for $20k. It won't be enough room for 4 dogs and 2 adults but if that's what you have to do that's that you have to do.

As far as staying warm that won't be an issue. I'm from the Buffalo NY area and use our trailer often right up to January and between the furnace and running a ceramic heater we are plenty warm.

Your issues will be protecting the water lines to keep them from freezing. We don't live in ours just use it on the weekends so when the weather turns cold we winterize all the lines and just use bottled water. When the weekend is over I dump the tanks and and add antifreeze back into them.

I won't sugar coat it a year like that will probably suck.

Plan the build to start in April and end before winter.

Put a large storage shed on the property and use it as a tiny home - when the main home is completed it will become your workshop, garden shed, garage, man cave, etc. Here's one from Home Depot - $15-$19K. Many styles to choose from - add plumbing/electric/spetic. Skip the insulation with a spring/summer/fall build.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 8.13.34 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 8.15.16 AM.png

What you're running into here is several challenging circumstances all at the same time. Living in a tiny space, in a trailer that will be difficult to manage in freezing weather, for an unrealistically low price that translates to something old/troubled before you even start. Any one of those things can be a challenge, much less doing them all at once. The corollary to that is if it was really that easy to do, more people would be doing it already. That's not to say it hasn't been done or can't be done, but you're in for a hell of a ride if you take this path. Living in an RV is not cheap or simple, heat will be a huge expense during the winter. Weigh these costs and complexities carefully before you go all-in on it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:
Put a large storage shed on the property and use it as a tiny home

I lived in my RV for a year at a park while I cleared the land and so on for my home build. I think any RV for $20k is going to sub-optimize what you want.

I also planned a "bunkhouse" on my property. For reasons I won't go into the timeline moved up tremendously and I eventually found a 12 X 28 shed with a porch that was a repo. It cost $12,000 and part of the electrical was done and some framing.

It has a loft at each end - enough to put in beds eventually. It will easily be a one bed place. Don't underestimate finishing - I am at about $8,000 to do it myself. It's a pay as you go sort of thing for me. We've got flooring in, insulation done. The shower insert is in and the bathroom layout done. 80% of electrical outlets were in as was the unterminated wiring. We installed air conditioning already as my kid is using it as a tattoo shop. We have the electrical run and the sewer run but not hooked up.

The next "big" expense is wall paneling. I think we are looking at $3000 at last check so we are on a pause. The original owner was clearly making a "tiny house" in which to live.

I think this is something you can look at doing. Especially if a bunkhouse/guest cottage/ mom or dad cave appeals to you to have after the house is built. You can also sell it and someone can take it away.

The finished shed is one we looked at that someone sold back. It was too small but it gave us an idea what it could look like finished well...

Attachments

• shed 1 small.jpg
    shed 1 small.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 4
  • shed 4.jpg
    shed 4.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 3
  • shed 2 small.jpg
    shed 2 small.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 3
  • shed 3.jpg
    shed 3.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 4
  • contender 2.jpg
    contender 2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 4
  • contender.jpg
    contender.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 4
I doubt that you will find anything that will be comfortable in the winter weather conditions in your area. Water lines freezing would be a major concern. Very few trailers will be livable in cold weather.

I'll agree with the others - your expectations are sure to be disappointed, for numerous reasons:
  • Not enough room for 2 people & 4 large dogs. RVs are less than 400 sq ft total and probably more like 300 with your budget. And you expect a king bed and decent size kitchen too? You need to get out and look at some 30-35 foot RV trailers and get a feel for what can be done in a small area. It's actually amazing what gets fit into a tiny space, but you will likely need to adjust your thinking about acceptable life style.
  • RVs aren't well-designed for temperature extremes. Especially the used, low end models in your budget range. You will spend a bundle on propane and/or electric for heating and cooling and still be less comfortable than your current home.
  • By its very nature, RV plumbing is exposed to winter freezes. It connects to sewer & water lines above ground. You can mitigate that somewhat with heated & insulated water & sewer lines, but it will be a continual struggle in PA weather.
  • 50A/240v RV power service is a minimum for your needs. Do not even consider buying a 30A/120v RV. [That's probably techno-babble to you right now, but remember to ask about power when you go shopping).
  • For the immediate living needs, the biggest travel trailer you can find is the right choice. A fifth wheel is maybe a better choice for later travel, but it requires a hefty size pickup truck to tote around. I think you will have enough challenges for the coming year without complicating it with possible future travel needs. What they call a "destination RV" or a "park model" is actually better suited as living quarters, but not suitable for travel.
  • Storage space is a always at a premium in any RV. Just finding room for a trash can and dirty laundry is often a challenge. Fortunately you can put up a temporary storage shed on your lot. Or better yet, buy or build a storage building that you can use later for home & business. Maybe even use it as a temporary home as Domo suggests.
  • A toyhauler is by definition an RV with a garage. Not sure why you even mentioned it unless you have a need for garage space.

We've been rv folks since the 1970's so we sort of knew about living in an rv. We built a new home and lived in our 5 ER for 14 mos on our 5.5 acres. It got smaller every day. We all ready had a rv carport & 2 shops where we had a washer/dryer, deepfreezer & refrigerator. Do you have utilities in place. Traveling with an rv is very different than living in an rv.
There are companies that rent Mobil homes set up at your site or find a house nearby that you could rent. Your budget of 20K won't get you a big enough rv & when your thru building it won't be worth $10K.

I'd like to be no more than $20k. I'd pay cash.
Gary has given you an excellent response. Like Hvactech, I have many years of experience with RVs, having owned one in WY, for years and later in TX but living in it all of the time and traveling for 12 years. With that budget, I suggest that you start by researching on the website RV Trader and look at the range of what is available.

I'd look at a used smaller park model mobile home. Usually around $5/mile to move to your new location. Much better insulation, usually better built, less maintenance, and even a small one will be bigger than an RV. And a small used one is likely cheaper. When your house is done, sell it or keep it as a guest house. I've had a couple in the past we used as lake cabins and were very happy with them.

The best way to figure out what you want is to go to the big indoor RV shows. There is 1000's of ways to configure 200 to 400 sq ft. It is a very personal choice.
Hi there, n thx for your response. Yes, that's the plan. Went to Hershey n was blown away with how much inventory. I rather get straight answers here then answers from salespeople that want to sell. Thx for any advice!!

I'll agree with the others - your expectations are sure to be disappointed, for numerous reasons:
  • Not enough room for 2 people & 4 large dogs. RVs are less than 400 sq ft total and probably more like 300 with your budget. And you expect a king bed and decent size kitchen too? You need to get out and look at some 30-35 foot RV trailers and get a feel for what can be done in a small area. It's actually amazing what gets fit into a tiny space, but you will likely need to adjust your thinking about acceptable life style.
  • RVs aren't well-designed for temperature extremes. Especially the used, low end models in your budget range. You will spend a bundle on propane and/or electric for heating and cooling and still be less comfortable than your current home.
  • By its very nature, RV plumbing is exposed to winter freezes. It connects to sewer & water lines above ground. You can mitigate that somewhat with heated & insulated water & sewer lines, but it will be a continual struggle in PA weather.
  • 50A/240v RV power service is a minimum for your needs. Do not even consider buying a 30A/120v RV. [That's probably techno-babble to you right now, but remember to ask about power when you go shopping).
  • For the immediate living needs, the biggest travel trailer you can find is the right choice. A fifth wheel is maybe a better choice for later travel, but it requires a hefty size pickup truck to tote around. I think you will have enough challenges for the coming year without complicating it with possible future travel needs. What they call a "destination RV" or a "park model" is actually better suited as living quarters, but not suitable for travel.
  • Storage space is a always at a premium in any RV. Just finding room for a trash can and dirty laundry is often a challenge. Fortunately you can put up a temporary storage shed on your lot. Or better yet, buy or build a storage building that you can use later for home & business. Maybe even use it as a temporary home as Domo suggests.
  • A toyhauler is by definition an RV with a garage. Not sure why you even mentioned it unless you have a need for garage space.
Thx for your input. So, as I have been thinking this out n doing nightly research. My thought was to have a sea container placed on the property to hold our belongings (furniture, tableware, linen, clothing, anything else not really needed for a time. I did see a park model recently and have started looking into that option. Would you or any readers know about the waterline in this scenario? If so, would you please give me your experience or thought? This might be a solution. Ty!

Thx for your input. So, as I have been thinking this out n doing nightly research. My thought was to have a sea container placed on the property to hold our belongings (furniture, tableware, linen, clothing, anything else not really needed for a time.) I did see a park model recently and have started looking into that option. Would you or any readers know about the waterline in this scenario? If so, would you please give me your experience or thoughts?This might be a solution. Ty!

Thx Gary for the points. Very much appreciated. I thought maybe a toy hauler bc I still need to run the biz. Training area and/or petsitting. Live on one side and keep pups or client's dog on other. But the more I read every post the more I feel a used park model will be a better fit for my circumstances. I will look into that RV power service for future. Thx sir.

Would you or any readers know about the waterline in this scenario?
Not sure what you are asking. Any RV, even a park model, will have the same external water connection - just a place to connect a hose. Ditto for sewage - a 3" sewer line bayonet coupler that accepts a standard RV sewer hose. Or have I missed the point of your question?

Back
Top Bottom