Need help with power useage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Gary's math is spot on. I picked up a "Kill a Watt" at Home Depot and plan to plug that in ASAP when I arrive on the 21th.

OK heres the update:

I plugged the "Kill a Watt" upon arrival before I turned on anything and was pulling 11.36 Amps with the converter and refer running. So I than turned off the converter and was still pulling 11.36, looking like the refer was pulling 11 amps but I did fine the plug for the refer and plugged the Kill A Watt into it was pulling 3.22 amps.

Now I'm saying WTF this can't be. I turned off every breaker except for the Refer / outside GFI rect and was pulling 11.36, I than unplugged the refer and was pulling 8.14 amps off that outside GFI rect side of the breaker. Nothing was plugged in outside the coach so I thought well maybe but I don't think so and looked inside the engine compartment. Yep block heater was plugged in.

Stamp stupid on my forehead, I plugged that in last Nov the night before we departed for home when we were visiting family in DC and it got into the 20's, drove to FL put RV in storage than relocated the RV up here in AL. Never once noticing the block heater was plugged in.

Someone else tied into your power while you were away from the RV? i am not agree with this it is technical problem

Glad to hear you figured it out. I just bought a Kill-o-Watt as a result of this thread - and Roamer's suggestion - and have spent the last 3 days wandering about the property checking electrical loads  :D. I didn't know block heaters pulled that much - next cold night I'm going to have to test the draw on my F350 pickup. I usually leave it plugged in overnight. Might be time to buy a timer...

That is what we call a HFWHOH moment

(Hit Forehead with Heal of Hand)

Can't say I've never done it (Can say I have)

so, Welcome to the club.

11-12 amps sounds about right for a block heater, they are often in the 1500 watt range.

1500/120 = 150/12 = 12.5 amps.

really nice story... we all  need one of those kill-a-watt things.  A few amps here, a few amps there times billions of people... pretty soon we're talking about giga watts of savings.

Mr. D said:
Yep block heater was plugged in.
Being a Canadian on the prairies that would've been one of the first things I'd looked for.  Well, maybe.  I'm so used to see the electrical plug dangling from the dash I wouldn't have looked inside. 

Nice piece of detective work.

Back
Top Bottom