Need water filter that removes AZ minerals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have hard water where we live? (Goodyear) and it is undrinkable with treatment. Our whole house takes out the bad taste (ours tastes as good as NY faucet water which Consumers' Reports rated as the best in the country) and has had no negative impact on pipes, either the house's or ours?

Bernie:

What treatment do you use, a whole-house filter , RO, or softener?

ALL:

Are the filters you are using a double cartridge, carbon,small-micron combination? The RO units must be on the drinking facet only?

Thanks,

Jeff /Washington said:
Bernie:

What treatment do you use, a whole-house filter , RO, or softener?

ALL:

Are the filters you are using a double cartridge, carbon,small-micron combination? The RO units must be on the drinking facet only?

Thanks,

Jeff

In the house we have a large tank with various filtering material. It is backflushed periodically and no maintenance needed.

For the coach, I use a 2 filter set-up, first is a sediment filter, second is a KDF filter. The KDF filter costs about $30 from the Water Store and lasts about 2 years. Takes everything out of the water that you would want out  ;D The KDF filter is the same primary filtration material in my home filter.

Bernie:

What's The Water Store?  Do they have water filtering systems or just replacement filters?  I've seen lots of water stores around Mesa and didn't think they might be a good source for filtering equipment.

--pat

Pat said:
Bernie:

What's The Water Store?  Do they have water filtering systems or just replacement filters?  I've seen lots of water stores around Mesa and didn't think they might be a good source for filtering equipment.

Pat

The Water Store is an RV supplies vendor that exhibits at many RV shows and has a web site. At FMCA-Minot I picked up a few filters for Ned as well as a replacement KDF filter for myself and had him build a couple of replacement hoses for my filter connections. Nearly anything you would need for your RV's water supply system.

Pat said, "I can get bottled water in AZ for drinking, etc.  What I want to prevent is the mineral buildup in the pipes. "

I have struggled through this thread and am now more confused than I was at the beginning.

I want what Pat wants.  Don't care about taste or drinking.  Do care about destruction of the plumbing system.  As we plan to winter in AZ, what system should we get? I'd like not to break the bank in setting it up.

We use two water filters the first being a sediment filter and the second being a 5 micron filter.  We also have a water softener but that wasn't just for AZ.  I don't really think you will have a problem.  We do also have a RO unit for drinking and Ice but again that was not just for Az.  I bought my filters at Home Depot or Lowes don't remember which.

Excellent Ron.  We can discuss further when I get there and you can do a show and tell.  I heard somewhere on my trip I have to have something if I winter in AZ every year.  But I just want to protect the coach.  The Admiral and I have used bottled water for about 15 years now and are happy with that.

Smoky said:
I want what Pat wants.  Don't care about taste or drinking.  Do care about destruction of the plumbing system.  As we plan to winter in AZ, what system should we get? I'd like not to break the bank in setting it up.

Smoky

You'd better care about taste or drinking. AZ water is vile, unless you have no taste ;D  As I posted previously, a 2 filter set up with sediment first and KDF second will take care of taste, contaminants and your pipes (body and coach). Filters will cost about $35 and one time hardware additional. I have a stub hose for those tight spigots, a splitter, a 5' run hose (both hoses are 200psi with high quality fittings), 2 filter holders and a Watts pressure regulate, all purchased from the Water Store at FMCA ralliesr. My coach water inlet hose is attached to the regulator.

Bernie:  If you drink bottled water, taste is irrelevant with regard to filtering the incoming city water.  Smoky summarized what I'm trying to do, which is protect my plumbing in my motorhome.  I did copy your description of what The Water Store built for you and will email to them for a quote.

--pat

Pat said:
Bernie:  If you drink bottled water, taste is irrelevant with regard to filtering the incoming city water.  Smoky summarized what I'm trying to do, which is protect my plumbing in my motorhome.  I did copy your description of what The Water Store built for you and will email to them for a quote.

Pat

We don't drink bottled water, neither at home or on the road except when boondocking to extend our water supply. We feel comfortable with and like the taste of the water that we get from out filters. And it is a lot cheaper ;D ;D

We spend most of the winter in various parts of AZ and don't use bottled water, except when doing extended boondocking.  We use a sediment filter on all water and have an ADC filter on the galley drinking water.  We have no objectionable tastes from the AZ water.  As for mineral buildup in the plumbing, as it's all PVC, there is nothing for the minerals to adhere to.  We take apart the traps and related plumbing perhaps once a year and never see any mineral deposits.  Slime, yes, minerals, no.

And we don't use a water softener either.  I don't like soft water for either drinking or showering.

OK.

So, for us bottle suckers, what is the best protection we can buy at a reasonable price for AZ water? 

The only reason for mentioning bottled water is that Pat (I assume) and I are hoping we might save a bit of cash if taste is not important to us.

Probably the best thing to do is get a couple filters like we have or as Dobrins and Reiters have and try it when you get there.  If the water taste is not acceptable then look into other options such as an RO unit.  A good RO unit can be obtained from costco for around a $150.

Ron said:
Probably the best thing to do is get a couple filters like we have or as Dobrins and Reiters have and try it when you get there. If the water taste is not acceptable then look into other options such as an RO unit. A good RO unit can be obtained from costco for around a $150.

Smoky:

All this discussion and water in our local campground that had a slight taste made me head to Lowe's today. Bought two filters, cartridges, (15 micron particulate and 2 micron charcoal),  hardware, quick disconnects for the hoses, A 5 gallon white plastic paint bucket with cover, and a 10' section of house for $78.00. Will probably buy a better cartridge down the road but water tastes better, flow is good, and we are ready for Arizona's worse.

Smoky:  "Bottle suckers?"  I love it.  Anyway, I'm glad you have stated my situation well. 

I heard from The Water Store today.  He said what he put together for Bernie wouldn't work in AZ.  I'd prefer to do the two filters, but I'll probably end up with one of those large softener containers.  I don't care if the AZ water is palatable, since I don't drink it.  I'll leave the equipment in AZ when I summer up here where the water's quite clean.  I'm delighted to have confirmed that sediment doesn't stick to the plastic plumbing.  I think a lot of it accumulted in my holding tanks, though.  I need to learn how to remove and clean the traps, I guess.  There is some hard water sediment in the kitchen sink.  Short of manually drying it thoroughly after every single use, that can't be avoided. 

Assuming it takes out the salty softener taste, maybe I'll get one of those Britta pitchers to filter water for the cat, so I don't have to buy many bottles all the time.  Her dish is one of those large covered travel dishes.  She puts her front paws on the donut shaped cover to drink, even though she's no longer a small kitten and doesn't need to.  She's so used to it, I hate to change it to something smaller when we're docked someplace. 

--pat

Pat,

>> I'll leave the equipment in AZ when I summer up here where the water's quite clean.<<

Now the bad news.  Our water here in Belgrade doesn't taste bad BUT it does leave a lot of sediment and spots if it is not filterd.  I used to get about a tablespoon of iron filings out of the toilet tanks 2X a year before I put a sediment filter on the house water.  I have always had one on the RVs so saw the need the first time I change the filter here in MT.  I have to wash with a mild solution of vinegar, CLR or some such cleaner the outside of the MH frequeintly to keep the calcium build up under control.  That was also the purpose of using vinegarand water solution to flush the system a couple of times a year.

Most of the west has alkali water snd some tastes terrible, eastern MT is a good example!!

OK, one more time.

Anyone have a suggestion for a simple filter arrangement WHERE TASTE DOES NOT MATTER, but protection of the coach does matter.

I'd like to be able to use Western water for the toilet, the kitchen and bathroom sinks, and for washing the coach exterior.

What is the most cost effective way of doing that and the hell with taste.  :D

Back
Top Bottom