Negotiating for coach purchase. Local vs Distant Dealer. Suggestions Appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shoppeman1

Hi All:
Need some suggestions/assistance and perhaps courage (like the cowardly lion needed on the way to OZ).
I am a NEWBIE.
Anyway, I have found a specific coach model, at two dealers, one local and the second 850+ miles away.  The local dealer will cost me $2800 more than the far away dealer. (They will NOT match price).  After considerable negotiations the local dealer is now willing to provide and install at no charge a Roadmaster Even Brake (proportional brake). I understand that with installation that retails approximately $1600.

Therefore, the difference to me is approximately $1200.  Am I likely to have more than $1200 in aggravation because the dealer is so far away?....obviously coach would not be brought to far away dealer for repairs....and local dealer says that they will put any repairs or issues at the bottom of the stack if I buy from far away dealer.

I don't know what to expect in terms of initial and ongoing service needs with an RV.  Looking at a Vista Winnebago (in case that matters).

Thanks for your replies.

If they are exactly the same figure out how much fuel to go get new RV and to drive it home.

Have you gone and actually look the one over that is farther away.

As a newbie you might find that having a dealer close by is a plus. For myself, I would take the lower price, though $1200 is not a big difference in the broad scheme of things. The fuel alone to drive it home will put a big dent in that.

You can buy an Evenbrake for around $1000-$1100 and typical installation is maybe $200 or so (or do it yourself), so the dealer's $1600 claim is in the ball park.

As for initial and ongoing repairs and maintenance, it's a crap shoot. Some RVs are largely trouble free while others need a lot of TLC for the first year. If you aren't handy and technically savvy, you may find yourself running to or calling the dealer a lot. in that case, it's nice to have the local guy be your friend. But I would not automatically assume the local dealer will love you after the sale is done. Some of them forget you rather quickly.

We are newbies and bought an Itasca Sunova about 1 1/2 years ago from the local dealer.  I'm glad we did as there have been many trips back with questions and demonstrations of how things worked. 

They even ran over to our house with a master key to open up the RV when the kids locked all the keys inside and all the windows were locked!

For a newbie, having the dealer close is great! 

I believe the local dealer is best for someone starting out. As an experienced RV'er I bought a new Class A in Fayetteville, NC right after Hurricane Andrew to live in while we rebuilt the house. I honestly wished I would have bought from a local dealer that was still open in Key Largo simply because they would have been more apt to help me with several problems. As it turned out the dealer in Key Largo ended up fixing the coach even though they did not sell that brand after numerous phone calls to the manufacturer and threats of legal action. The hassle of trying to rebuild the house, get the school back open and try to deal with a defective MH was just too much.

As someone else said you still have to go get the one 800 miles away which has to be factored in to the equation along with the learning of the coach. It sure is handy to have someone down the street to ask questions when you just don't know.

Have you asked the faraway dealer if he too would install the Even Brake?

As a former car dealer, go in to the local dealer,  write everything down that you want including the price, sign it and make the offer with either a check or if you are financing it the down payment.  Also remember, the dealer makes money when it comes to financing.  They will tell you the interest rate is x percentand it is usually a little lower then that number. Tell him if he wants your business to get a lower rate.  He will!! If he does not, leave.  He will call you in a couple of days with the deal you want.  They want and need the business.

We are into this for about 1 year now.  While I have had issues with the service at the "local" (60 miles away) dealer they did fix what they said they would.  It was better to take it 60 miles than much farther.  I think any true newby will need a little hand holding, just knowing a place you can maybe drop by and ask a few questions of is good.  I would suggest staying local if all things are equal. 

Make sure you see the other unit, pictures always look nice.

Back
Top Bottom