Nervous about buying...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maalox

Hi everyone,

I posted a while ago about trying to find an RV for less than $5000.  Well, I found one that I love that's only $3000.  The interior is in great shape, all the components work, it's the right size, etc.

The only obvious problems are a broken vent (seems fixable even by a schlub like me) and a problem with the wheel alignment.  Based on the tread, it looks like it's going to need new wheels all the way around.  Like most older RVs, there's only five digits on the odometer, so I don't know for sure whether it has 40k or 140k miles.  I have to assume the latter based on how worn the tires are.

Does this seem like a bad investment?  What are the chances of this thing becoming a money pit?

If you want to determine if it has 40k or 140k miles just look at the brake pedal, gas pedal and steering wheel. If they look relatively new then 40k, if they look worn  then 140k. My 85 Allegro has 24k on it when I bought it and the pedals, steering wheel and most of the dash looks like it was installed yesterday.

I don't think anyone here can tell you if you should buy it and if it will be a money pit. There are way too many variables and things that can go wrong. Every old RV is going to have some problems, that's why they sell them so cheap. I only paid $2600 for mine and I expect it to be a money pit for that price. But so far it has not been too bad. I have been living in it for almost 3 months and it is an awesome unit.

"Does this seem like a bad investment?"

RVs are NOT an investment. They are an expense. You will not get any return on your investment, unless you keep it for a long time and never spend money on it.

Oops, I guess it would have helped not to forget all my attachments.

Anyway, it's a '79 Itasca that has spent the majority of its time in Nevada.

Attachments

• jet ski and motor home 001.jpg
    jet ski and motor home 001.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 49
  • jet ski and motor home 004.jpg
    jet ski and motor home 004.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 48
  • jet ski and motor home 005.jpg
    jet ski and motor home 005.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 47
  • jet ski and motor home 009.jpg
    jet ski and motor home 009.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 48
Just looking at the photos, it looks like it has only 40k miles on it. Looks sweet to me. Go for it.

It does look like it's been pretty well maintained for a 1979.  If you like it, that's what's important so I second Tom's "go for it."  I would look at all the rubber things since it could dry out in Nevada's desert climate, e.g. belts, etc.

ArdraF

It does have a squeaky fan belt.  Everything else seems to function well.  The owner certainly didn't hesitate to fire it up and drive me around the block.

Well, I made an offer on it!  Who knows, tomorrow I could enter the wonderful world of RV ownership.

First thing would be to have it mechanically  inspected by a competent licensed facility. Any serious mechanical issues or previous collision damage should show up.  You don't want to start pouring money into a dead horse.

I agree. I think it would be well worth your money to take it to a good RV mechanic who knows what to look for.

Even an honest owner may not know that something is going on.

I hope you enjoy it!

It looks pretty clean. That vintage chassis experienced cracked exhaust manifolds due to heat in the engine compartment...not a major or expensive issue. If it were mine I would pay close attention to cooling (radiator, fan clutch, etc) and be prepared to change oil and trans fluids (when you change the trans fluid on a GM you cannot drain the torque converter thus you are adding 4-5 qts new fluid to old fluid). Belts and hoses if necessary.
  Aside from exhaust manifolds I can't remember any reoccurring issues with that model. AGAIN: cooling is important.
  As for the living quarters it is old but dependable and easy to troubleshoot technology.
  Having lived in the dry southwest is a plus......seals, weatherstripping, vents, A/C covers may be an issue.

Looks like one I had many years ago - but yours is in MUCH better shape than what I started with.

Enjoy!

Thanks for everyone's replies.  Getting it inspected is a good idea.  I'll make a post about the outcome as soon as I can  :)

seilerbird said:
I don't think anyone here can tell you if you should buy it and if it will be a money pit. There are way too many variables and things that can go wrong. Every old RV is going to have some problems, that's why they sell them so cheap.

RVs are NOT an investment. They are an expense. You will not get any return on your investment, unless you keep it for a long time and never spend money on it.

Just keep the above wisdom in mind and move forward.  Things do go wrong in RVs same as they do in houses, apartments, and condo's.  If you have a good engine, chassis, and exterior, the rest of it can be maintained/replaced/refurbished "as needed" or as personal taste dictates.  As Sellerbird says above, this is not an investment, it is an expense and there will always be something that needs attention.  The more you can do yourself, the lesser that expense.

It looks pretty good. by now you would have seen broken knobs or AC vents even with normal use. It looks to me that it was hardly used, that could be a good thing or a bad thing like many have said before, so I would check for things that go bad when not moved for long periods of time, like bushings, rubber seals etc..etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom