NEW CHASIS BATTERY BOILING OVER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeverden

I just replaced all 3 batteries in my folks 2004 Fleetwood Southwind 36B
In addition to the 2 house batteries I replaced exactly as the old ones were configured, I also replaced
a blown chasis battery.  Hooked everything back up and plugged in the unit to charge the house batteries.
Not 5 minutes later the chasis battery started bubbling over and dripping the water down under.
When I hit the disconect button it stopped. 

Any suggestions on what is causing this??

Jason

Jason, What are the voltages at the batteries?  How are the batteries wired? Just because they came out that way doesn't mean they were wired correct. A battery boiling or gassing is overcharging or getting high voltage. Be careful if it is gassing that quick as you may be getting ready to set off a bomb.

jeverden said:
I also replaced a blown chasis battery.
What do you mean "blown"?  It might imply the thing was connected incorrectly in the first place.  Whatever it is, it is bad or else the chassis battery would not boil so quickly.  Just to make sure, check the two house batteries and make sure they are not connected in series as that would produce 24 volts, which if connected to the chassis battery for charging purposes would cause excessive current.  Both positives s/b connected together and both negatives connected together - mainly make sure the positive of one does not connect to the negative of the other.

First of all the unit is un-plugged and the house batteries are not charged.  I also disconnected everything until i figure this out.

however the previous connections had a positive to a negative joining the two house batteries

here is a picture of the old batteries - which I copied resulting in a boiling of the chasis battery when plugged in

Jay

Attachments

• batteries.JPG
    batteries.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 77
when I say blown, i meant it was dead.  Rather than revive it I just bought a new one.

However the house batteries were blown apart - froze during winter.  Were left out all winter.

Jay

Picture shows that the two batteries areindeed connected in series, which is the source of your problem.  You will need a longer cable to connect the two negative terminals together.  connecting the two batteries in parallel will solve your problem.  Good luck.

Dean L

DeanLinAZ said:
Picture shows that the two batteries areindeed connected in series, which is the source of your problem.  You will need a longer cable to connect the two negative terminals together.  connecting the two batteries in parallel will solve your problem.  Good luck.

Dean L

HOLD ON!

These are 6v batteries. They must be connected in series--not in parallel!

Assuming the cable connected to the negative terminal of the left battery is the cable going to ground, you have them connected correctly.

Richard

RLSharp said:
HOLD ON!

These are 6v batteries. They must be connected in series--not in parallel!

Assuming the cable connected to the negative terminal of the left battery is the cable going to ground, you have them connected correctly.

Richard
DeanLinAZ said:

Dean L
For sure, for sure.  The old batteries are 6 volts which should be connected in series.  So now, the question is what size batteries did you replace them with - 6 volt or 12 volt?

You said you replaced all 3, two house and one chassis.

Did you use the SAME BATTERY (Make and model) for all 3?

The chassis battery is not the same as the house batteries.

The house batteries, when NOT in the RV, are six volt Golf Car batteries, for RV house use these are about the best bang for your buck of all battery types.

When installed and PROPERLY wired they become a single 12 volt battery.  So they really are 2 halves of the same 12 volt battery.

Now, on the chassis battery: That should be a single 12 volt battery.

If you put a six volt golf car battery there, then I would expect exactly what happened to happen as it overcharged off the house batteries.

I replaced the house batteries with 12 volt instead of the 6 volts that were there before - so by me connecting them the same as the old ones it became 24 volts instead of the desired 12 volts.

So from what I have learned I must simply remove the wire joining pos and neg and get 2 wires joining pos-pos and neg-neg.

I have learned alot here - will get that done monday.

jay

jeverden said:
I replaced the house batteries with 12 volt instead of the 6 volts that were there before - so by me connecting them the same as the old ones it became 24 volts instead of the desired 12 volts.

So from what I have learned I must simply remove the wire joining pos and neg and get 2 wires joining pos-pos and neg-neg.

I have learned alot here - will get that done monday.

jay
There ya go.  Mystery solved. 8)

Jay.... Hopefully you'll be out of the woods. But don't count your blessings yet.

Having been connected to 24 Volt for a while may have had a detrimental effect on some of the circuitry in the RV.

Be prepared to find several items that were connected at the time to be non-functional. Examples; converter, refrigerator, inverter and other assorted items. Hopefully you were spared of that disaster.

Carson FL

Just thinking about that - isn't that what the fuse box is for - if the current was too strong it would shut off the breaker?

I can't see any damage being done...  to anything...

Right?

Depends on what was in the circuit when you connected to 24V. Solid State circuits do not take high voltage spikes very well. Hook it up right and see what does and does not work. Good Luck.

I sure hope not - it was only connected for 5 minutes.

In electronics, 5 minutes is compared to eons.A lightning strike lasts milli/micro seconds and can do major damage

We are not trying to scare you, rather  inform you of what  high voltage can do..

I too am an old instructor in electronics.

Please keep asking questions... many folks here know the answers.

Carson FL

So I switched those wires everything seems ok, with exception of the microwave.
Unit is plugged in but microwave has no power - breaker was not tripped.

It is a convection microwave and the unit is plugged in with a regular extention cord only - but still there should be power to it.

Think I blew a fuse in inside the microwave?

Jay

I do not know, Test the outlet the microwave is plugged into with a proper lamp (120 volt drop cord or "Trouble light" works well here)

As to did you blow a fuse inside it.. That I do not know,  I do know there is (usually) a fuse internal to the unit.  A standard fuse, easily replaced.  Usually 15 amp either 3ag (Cartridge) or screw in.. Might also have used a breaker, 

USE CAUTION and wear gloves when you open the case.. SHARP EDGES, or so the assembly manual says.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom