New to me camper !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Modeladay said:
Thanks all again! I appreciate the genuine concern and it sounds like many of you have had some experience similar to this. I really don't want to go to court, it's something I'm not comfortable with. Its Sunday and the guy is supposed to call on Monday to arrange to take back the camper, still don't think I will hear from him. I guess we will see but I'm leaning toward just taking the money and writing the rest off as a lesson learned. Its ashame because I could have used that money to buy another ass kicking machine, I have plenty of broken ones in the basement ?
I am pretty sure your not alone in buying a '' fixer upper '', and was told otherwise !..lol. trust me, if it's not bad when you buy it ?..it deff will be bad over time !..lol. i'm nearing the finish line on my little TT, got the sealant all down today, we've got some big rain headed my way Thursday, that will be the true test !..lol. I still need to mount my awning back on, just placed an order from rvawnings.com, will see how well that works ?..lol. I dread putting this awning back on myself, but don't have a choice..lol. I took it down alone, guess i'll put it back up alone huh ?..lol. good luck on getting your cash back, even if ya don't get it all ?, count your blessings in getting ANY of it back !. hang in there :).

Peggyy said:
Wondering if the guy showed on monday???

He returned a phone  on Monday and said he would have the money together on Thursday. He said would call again on Tuesday(tonight) and he did not. That said he did call my bank earlier in the day to confirm some info I gave him about the title. It seems he thinks I'm now trying to screw him. I assured him I just want out and I'll be on my way. I'm still not getting a warm fuzzy feeling and maybe he has changed his mind???? Lets see if I hear from him tomorrow (Wednesday)

Well the guy disappeared, so I guess I need to decide what to do. I don't have the skill set nescessary to complete the task. The Independent RV repair person I had look at it said it would be at least $3000 so I will have to let something go as I do not have any more cash. I could just leave it set but I think that would just be wasting more money . If only I had a time machine

It really doesn't take a skill set so much as tenacity to fix these things.  You put your your mind to it, tear into it,and the next thing you know your're at least as skilled as the majority of those building them.  The problem is fixing them half assed without fixing the issue.  I don't know the extend of your problem, but if a "pro" quoted 3k, its 2k or more in labor and the rest just getting it done.

I did some minor work on a truck camper and helped out here and there with some smaller projects with friends, but nothing prepared me for gutting and rebuilding my trailer.  It was far more extensive then what you describe, and I did it without any know how.  It just took the nuts to do it.  It was more frustrating then difficult.

It's amazing what you can do when you have to save face and bring something back from the dead.  One thing is it may take you all summer, but you will damn sure know you have a solid trailer for years.

We too had some extensive water damage which we found after the purchase of our camper. It was disheartening but we dove in without any prior camper renovation experience. We did it one step at a time, did some research here and YouTube when we needed some knowledge and after two months of continuous work we are almost done. Our floor corner looked very similar to your wall picture. It can be done, it will just take some time and effort and yes, some more money. Ours did not cost anything near $3,000. Not even close. In our back wall and partial side walls we replaced some wall studs, floor joists, subfloor plywood, replaced a lot of insulation, replaced a wall and redid the flooring through almost there entire camper. It will be much cheaper if you can do the repairs yourself. I would guess we spent about $1,000 for our supplies and I didn't even list everything we purchased.
If you decide to tackle this project, here is a link to our journey http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,103798.0.html
If you have questions the forum members are really good about chiming in to give you any advice they have to share. After finding our damage we were upset, angry, hurt, frustrated. Once we accepted our issue we became determined to make it the camper we desired it to be and expected it to be from the beginning. Good luck and maybe you will finally have the camper you dreamed of from the beginning and you will be able to have some adventures to share with everyone here and stay a part of the rv community. You have support here.

I think at this point, an attorney would still have interest as long as you do. I beleive the story almost made a full circle with an admission of guilt of the sort regarding giving the money back and the phone calls the seller made to your bank etc. I would persue that angle and have an attorney send him a little notice.

Modeladay said:
Well the guy disappeared, so I guess I need to decide what to do. I don't have the skill set nescessary to complete the task. The Independent RV repair person I had look at it said it would be at least $3000 so I will have to let something go as I do not have any more cash. I could just leave it set but I think that would just be wasting more money . If only I had a time machine

It is such a pretty camper.  Can you use it at all the way it is?  Shame to just let it sit.

Triple Slide Jayco said:
I think at this point, an attorney would still have interest as long as you do. I beleive the story almost made a full circle with an admission of guilt of the sort regarding giving the money back and the phone calls the seller made to your bank etc. I would persue that angle and have an attorney send him a little notice.
[/quote

No one will touch it for less than $1500.00 and in small claims court you can't collect court costs. Do I invest this money and roll the dice?

Peggyy said:
It is such a pretty camper.  Can you use it at all the way it is?  Shame to just let it sit.

My wife is afraid to, she thinks it will fall off the trailer frame?

What's your general location? There may a member or two here that may know of somebody local to you to do the repairs that aren't necessarily listed in the phone book.

Modeladay said:
well, you have two choices, one: bite the bullet, and fix it yourself. two: hire a attorney , and see if he wakes up, and gives you '' some '' cash back ?. if it were me ( and yes..i know it's not ) I would bite the bullet, and fix it myself. depending on how bad the damage is ?, your looking at anywhere from 1k to 2k in parts ?, but your saving a ton by doing it yourself !. I don't know crap about TT's ?, other than what and how they put them cheaply together ?..lol, but !, what I do know and have ?..IS DIGGING IN, AND DOING IT MYSELF, INSTEAD OF MAKING THE OTHER PERSON RICH !..lol. if was closer, I deff would try to help you !!. i'm still trying to finish my TT. waiting on the rain tonight, and pray I don' see any leaks again !?..lol. then I have to get my awning installed ( oh what fun ! ). hang in there, maybe someone on here that is close to you, can lend a hand ?.

Well I texted the guy and told him we will see him in small claims court. Guess what he called back, he had no real explanation for not calling other than he was busy. He said he needed the title in hand before he would hand over any money. The bank does not have the title on site so I told him I would call the bank and see what I could do. The bank said they could have the title on Wednesday. I have now been trying to call the guy but now he won't answer again. I don't understand what kind of game he is playing  or why.

Modeladay said:
Well I texted the guy and told him we will see him in small claims court. Guess what he called back, he had no real explanation for not calling other than he was busy. He said he needed the title in hand before he would hand over any money. The bank does not have the title on site so I told him I would call the bank and see what I could do. The bank said they could have the title on Wednesday. I have now been trying to call the guy but now he won't answer again. I don't understand what kind of game he is playing  or why.
welllllllll..lol. looks like he's shook up ?..now, go to a small claims court, have some papers delivered to him certified , and he will see you mean what ya say !. this crap about '' he needs a title '' , seems like he's stalling ?..maybe ?.maybe not ?. I don't know how that works ?. but I deff would have some papers sent to him, stating your taking him to small claims court, and I BET HE GETS ON THE BALL THEN !.

If you DO take him to court ?..please...PLEASE...take lots of pic's of everything that is wrong,damaged ?!..pictures are worth a thousand words to a judge !!.

Also, if you could, try to voice record the conversations. Try to keep it without anger or a accusatory conversation and try to get him to admit he knew something was wrong or maybe he will say that "I knew something was wrong and installed that grill but just left it alone and decided to sell" His own admittance would be awesome. I  think a judge sees guilt at the minimum here with the willingness to return money and the sort.

alan6051964 said:
welllllllll..lol. looks like he's shook up ?..now, go to a small claims court, have some papers delivered to him certified , and he will see you mean what ya say !. this crap about '' he needs a title '' , seems like he's stalling ?..maybe ?.maybe not ?. I don't know how that works ?. but I deff would have some papers sent to him, stating your taking him to small claims court, and I BET HE GETS ON THE BALL THEN !.

I hope but he says  his father inlaw is a big wig lawyer in Augusta and says he is not worried at all. Also it is now 6:00 pm and he has not answered numerous phone calls... I just don't know why he is stalling or ducking my phone calls now.

Triple Slide Jayco said:
Also, if you could, try to voice record the conversations. Try to keep it without anger or a accusatory conversation and try to get him to admit he knew something was wrong or maybe he will say that "I knew something was wrong and installed that grill but just left it alone and decided to sell" His own admittance would be awesome. I  think a judge sees guilt at the minimum here with the willingness to return money and the sort.
He has never admitted to knowing about any damage or the effort to hide any  damage. He say he is taking the camper back because he is trying to help me out????

Back
Top Bottom