New TT problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlkZrx

I've heard all the pros and cons versus new/used.  Spousal unit wanted new.  3 times we've used it and every time it's been something.  First trip the tank sensors and a bad power stab jack.  Second trip a water leak and this last one was a dead slide that wouldn't move.  I guess it's  called getting the bugs out of it.  Our first Rockwood was pretty good,  this one,  I wonder..

Sorry to hear that, but it's a common complaint, regardless of brand. Initial quality is mediocre at best, with a substantial percentage of rigs having or developing multiple problems in the first few months. I just heard from a guy who is now at the Rev Group factory service center getting 30+ problems fixed on his $400,000 2016 coach. And that's his second time there!  He expects to be there for two weeks to get them all taken care of.

Buying used is a risk as well.  When you see how others treat their trailers and read about the bad decisions, my thought is that you would really be stuck with a defective used unit.  Problems that I find are often not problems to those that don't know or don't care.

We also bought new.  We also had a long list of failures that the dealership fixed for us.
The worst was a broken water pump that sprayed water all over the basement.
The least bad was a missing retaining strap for the sliding door over the washer/dryer.

3 separate trips to the dealership.
But all fixed under warranty.

I read that these units are largely hand built.  Templates are used to cut out the pieces and then the parts are hand assembled.  There are often fit and finish issues.
We went in to this aware that this was common and with eyes open for possible problems.
This forum helped educate us on the process and made me much more confident in my relationship with the dealership.

We've had several months worth of initial problems with our new Forest River Sabre fifth wheel.

Solving them mostly by myself due to a lack of faith in dealership warrantees.  Today I found out why the DVD player would not work.  There was an HDMI cable plugged into the back of the TV, but tracing the wire back found that it just went into a tube and never connected to the Jensen DVD player. And it was wire tied to a bundle of wires in the black tube,  and it couldn't be retrieved.  Luckily I had another HDMI cable, and plugged in both ends and voila!  We can now watch movies!

Also had problems with furniture, refrigerator noise (solving it with two quiet fans instead of one LOUD one).

Luckily, none of these problems (mostly minor irritations), have stopped us from using the RV.

May you be so lucky, right?

Ron

My dealer says we can look at it,  in about 6 weeks!  I can probably figure out what's wrong myself in that time period.  :-X

Either way, learn to fix it yourself.  I only had one warranty issue on my Forest River that we bought new in 2012.....the rest, it was easier to fix it myself than haul it across town.  Besides, once that warranty is up, it's your baby anyway.  It will cost you a fortune to own if someone else does the work.  Be your own warranty station.

^^ What Friz said. Learn to fix it yerself.  The red carpet platinum elite CW membership is useless.

After a one too many head-my-head-against-the-wall experiences at CW,  we lernt the drive up and back wasn't worth the effort to get stuff repaired. When the 2 year warranty was over we didn't care.

"Oh, you're 2000 miles from home? Sure we can take a look at your stuck-out slide. In 2 weeks. Then we can order the part (that I told them was broken). Then put you back on schedule in maybe another 2 weeks. We should have you all fixed up in a few months. In the mean time, enjoy your stay in Colorado"

A trip to the Ace hardware and $18 later we fixed it our ownselves.

Back
Top Bottom