Newbie with ants in the RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve & Linda

:-[ Hubby and I are on 3rd outing and woke up this morning to tiny ants (no, not aunts) making a bee-line for dog's dish, sink and cabinets. Washed everything down (did last night b4 bed, too...i'm really a cleanik) and then sprayed. For most part seems to have done the job...my questions is, when we get home are we gonna need to have a professional bug-man go through RV?  what other precautions can we take? this is the 1st time we've encountered this problem; i did notice little ants when we were outside yesterday but didn't realize they were headed into RV. Anyone got suggestion(s)

You know, this happened to me once.  I came back to the RV from being out all day, to find a trail of ants near my fridge.  I looked all around the RV and could not figure out how they got in.  They must have gone up a tire somewhere.  I ended up spraying all around the tires.  Cleaned and sprayed a little inside.  The next morning they were still there.  I left for the day.  When I came back, they were all gone.  I guess they didn't find what they were looking for.  :)

We had "crazy ants" in the RV. Sprinkled powdered sugar mixed with borax in corners of compartments last week.....so far so good...ants are gone.

ALWAYS sprinkle ant granules or powder around anything that touches the ground...tires, stabilizers AND don't forget the shore line and water hose.  I've seen ants use these as a route into the camper.
A daily walk-a-round is a good idea.

@#$@@%!!!  :mad:    winnie!!! you just made me add another item on to my checklist, (shore power and water hose)

At this rate, if I start now I may be able to relax next june! lol

BTW winnie, just kidding!  ;)

Each responder has provided great ideas! I noticed as we unhooked this morning the ants were having a real party near where the sewer hose is stored, inside the slide-thru, and around the water & electric lines; took care of the buggers with the spray before putting everything away. Next trip will use suggestions made here and do the daily walk around. thanks everyone.

Some good advice so far, but let me add to it as a 15 plus year full time RVer.

o Before you start spraying or whatever inside, follow the track as best you can to the source. The track is endless so killing the ones inside will do no good - and cause you to lose the tracking to the source. The idea is to kill the colony and queen.

o As noted, "anything" that touches the ground will become a source of ants. I have a habit of leaving my awning puller leaning against the rig - but that once became a source. The main source into my rig has been the water hose - or other hookups such as sewer and electric. Have never had an ant come in via my tires.

o Some sprinkle household cleanser such as Comet around tires and stabilizers. I have never found that to work. I once took photos of ants streaming over cleanser around tires.

o The very best I have found as to keeping them away from entry points such as tires is Diatomaceous Earth. I have "never" witnessed an ant make it across DE. It is now illegal in certain places but if you can find some and are OK with using it, it works. The problem, I understand, is breathing the powder - whereas otherwise it is harmless to pets and such.

o Finally, the best all round treatment inside the rig is the TERRO baits. The bait housing is transparent so you can see what is going on. The liquid inside is made from borax - so not harmful to people or pets. However, it is deadly to ants - plus it takes awhile for it to take effect. During this time, the worker ants carry the borax mixtrue back to the colony and the queen.

The first time I used them I at first didn't think it was working. Once they found the bait container, it quickly became full of ants - millions of them. But they didn't seem to be dying, just enjoying the meal. However, a closer look noted that they were leaving after a snack back along the ant trail. The next AM all the ants were gone from the trap other than a few dead ones. And that trail stopped coming in.

Hope this helps and that you get rid of the ants - and hope that you never get mice or rats. That can become real grief.  :)

When I bought my m/h it came with ants.  Took about three months with ant traps (replace once a month) to get rid of all of them.  Have not had a problem now for nearly three years.  I just bought the ones in the grocery store, and put about a half dozen throughout the m/h.  Floor, kitchen cabinets, dash area. 

The key ingredient you're looking for is Fipronil.  With my farm I deal with the Aggies a lot as they staff the Ag office where I frequent.  This is the ingredient they suggested to me.  They tell me baits are infinitely more effective than quick kill pesticides.  I use this at the farm, in the house, in storage buildings and in the RV.  It does take a while for it to work, maybe a week or so, but then, no more bugs.  I've given this to neighbors that had bug companies spraying, they got rid of the bug companies, and bought some of this for themselves. 

http://www.pestmall.com/maxforce-ant-bait-gel.html 

Was going to post this question but now see that someone else has.  This past week-end, we saw a lot of small ants in the coach and the people at the office came down and sprayed something  around the wheels and jacks.  We saw that some people were using something white one the ground around the wheels and jacks and wondered what it was? I know in the KOA booklet, it was talking about ants and they suggested using ajacks or comet around the wheels and jacks but someone said that was poison to pets, is this true?

Barryn514 said:
  We saw that some people were using something white one the ground around the wheels and jacks and wondered what it was? I know in the KOA booklet, it was talking about ants and they suggested using ajacks or comet around the wheels and jacks but someone said that was poison to pets, is this true?

The white powder you saw was probably Borax.  It's cheap and available almost anywhere.  Powered cleansers I would not use where pets are a concern.  Being a detergent, I just wouldn't take the chance.  I wouldn't want Snowball or Spot getting sick while on vacation or traveling.  I'm not convinced the cleansers work anyway.

The ant traps placed in the RV where pets can't get to them, along with Borax dusted on the ground around anything in contact with the ground, works just fine for me.  My TT is permanent and in a wooded area.  I have the small ants you speak of, and big ants.  Big enough that if 4 or 5 of them get together, they can carry your hamburger right off the picnic table!  Fun to watch, but your always left hungry.
No ants inside the RV though.

Barryn514 said:
We saw that some people were using something white one the ground around the wheels and jacks and wondered what it was? I know in the KOA booklet, it was talking about ants and they suggested using ajacks or comet around the wheels and jacks but someone said that was poison to pets, is this true?

Was the KOA selling Comet or whatever cleanser? One park I was in had a bad ant problem and sprayed a bit. However, I felt they made so much off the Comet they sold in their store that they weren't really wanting for the ants to leave.

As mentioned in my previous post here, my experience is that the cleansers simply don't work.

A small amount of corn meal placed in areas where the ants are found usually gets rid of them pretty quick. The workers carry it back to the nest and feed it to the queen which kills her. With the queen dead the colony dies as well. The best part is if your pets get into it, it doesn't make them sick.

Lee

If you'd like to try a really safe, non-toxic to human or animals treatment, Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is worth a shot. I use this both around my stick house and RV when parked as my whole neighborhood is infested with ants this year and last.
As I understand it, the powder dries out their exoskeletons and thus kills them.
I order mine from Amazon.com. Last check it was $23 for 10 lbs of the stuff, but if you have an agricultural supply place nearby you may find is cheaper elsewhere?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QJBVH8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I can tell what we have done in the past...

I did use one of the bug bombs before.  Covered countertops and kitchen table with newspaper.  Along with furniture.  Set the bomb off and left for the week.  When we arrived the following weekend, we had a bit of a mess to clean up.  Not real bad, but some dead bugs to vacuum up.  Along with a good cleaning of the countertops and such because it made us feel better about food preparation.  That process seemed to have taken care of the any internal critters.

Ever since that point in time (approx. 8 years), we use the Borax around the jacks, shore cord/water hose if hooked to the city side and touching the ground, wheels of the RV, etc,...

My TT is permanently parked in a wooded area.  Not one ant has invaded my TT that I know of.  A spider or two decides to give it a try every now and then.  I think they come in by parachute!  Once discovered, they are quickly squished.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom