Newmar vs Forrest River Charleston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NDFan

Looking to buy a diesel pusher to do some cross country RVing.  Would like a unit with a tag axle. Am considering either the Charleston from Forest River or King Air from Newmar.  Would like a unit with a bunkhouse floor plan.  Any thoughts or suggestions regarding either model or recommendations.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. A Newmar Mountain Air woukd be a more comparative coach to the Charleston and friends who have owned Mountain Airs have been very satisfied.

If you end up in Indiana around Nappanee (Newmar) and Elkhart (Forest River) you might stop in Wakarusa and visit Integra Coach. Friends who are here visiting just picked up their new Aspire and it is a very nice coach although I am not sure about a bunk model floorplan.

If you're looking at new rigs, there is currently a $10,000 factory rebate on the Charleston (which should be on top of your negotiated price). I believe this runs through April 30th.

(This also applies to the Forest River Berkshire; and there's a $5,000 on the new Legacy as well).

Anything bad to say about the Charleston?  I don't believe the Mountain Aire has a floor plan with bunk beds.  The King Aire has two restrooms in their bunkhouse which I think is a waste of space.

Wow - that's an almost impossible comparison. A King Aire is about double the price of a Charleston, longer, and loaded with luxury features.

I haven't heard any negatives about the Charleston, though.

First, Mountain Aire awnings are receded up in the roof rails. Two section of awnings will cover the entire length of the RV, front to back.

Second, it has a rain gutter system built on the roof (not on the sidewall) with pipes channeled inside the walls for water to exit to the bottom. This eliminates water streak on the sidewalls when the AC is running and the RV is stationary.

If that is not a concern, compare a Newmar Dutch Star vs. Forrest River Charleston. The MSRP is within the price range of $374k and $347k, respectively . Mountain Aire is at $511k MSRP.

Attachments

• Sample 1.jpg
    Sample 1.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 15
  • Sample 2.jpg
    Sample 2.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 15
Nothing bad to say about the Charleston, but as others have pointed out, it's not really an apples to apples comparison to the upper end Newmar rigs mentioned. More in line with Newmar's Vantana model (which goes into a tag as the floorplan sizes increase). You'll see the differences between the Charleston and the Newmars with the general fit and finish, but each person has different wants and needs there. I've been in a few 2014 model Charlestons and they are nice.

You can read more posts here on the Forest River Forums specifically by some Charleston owners. Not a whole lot of folks on there, but worth a look to get a general feel of them and what owners say about Forest River in general.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f14/

vlady daddy said:
First, Mountain Aire awnings are receded up in the roof rails. Two section of awnings will cover the entire length of the RV, front to back.

Second, it has a rain gutter system built on the roof (not on the sidewall) with pipes channeled inside the walls for water to exit to the bottom. This eliminates water streak on the sidewalls when the AC is running and the RV is stationary.

If that is not a concern, compare a Newmar Dutch Star vs. Forrest River Charleston. The MSRP is within the price range of $374k and $347k, respectively . Mountain Aire is at $511k MSRP.

if you every get on the roof  even knowing it looks cooler  with the awnings installed on top of the roof like that to hid the AC units and any thing added  you still get alot of trash of the roof and sound when driving down the road 

but keep a eye out  some like that have a lower roof in side  for that added height

even still if i had the money i would get one like that  and deal with it

Back
Top Bottom