Onan Emerald Plus 4000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smellii

After cleaning out the carburetor on the generator it ran fantastically. I cleaned it up and painted it but when I tilted it backwards 90 degrees to put the base back on oil started spilling out the breather hose port on the crank case. Now it will not run. Is this repairable? I'm hoping its just a matter of removing some part and cleaning it out. Will greatly appreciate any advice.

How much oil did you lose? Have you checked the oil level since then? If the generator doesn't sense oil pressure, it won't start.

When you tipped it the gas in the carb bowl may have run down the intake and flooded it. It'll start after gas evaporates.
The gas went somewhere when you tipped it. Did you crank long enough to refill fuel line and carb?
If it's level now, check oil level. Next, remove spark plugs and clean the oil off them. Try again. If you found oil on plugs it will SMOKE! If plugs aren't oily double check all electrical connections involved in removal as well as any that might have been bumped or dislodged during R/R.

Bill 

PS:
If the gas in the carb flooded it some of that gas has diluted your oil. Change it sooner rather than later.

Good advice guys. I'll try your suggestions and post my results. Thanks.

Oil level in the crankcase is very sensetive.  If the oil level is not full, the unit will not run.  I changed oil and filter in mine and refilled the crankcase with 3 1/2 quarts as the Owners Manual indicated and it would start and run for a minute or so but would then shut down.  Posted my problem, and several suggested I look at oil level, but having just serviced the unit, I was sure it was correct.  However, I finally checked the dip stick and it was down about 1/4 inch.  I added about 1/4 to 1/3 quart to bring level to full mark on dip stick.  After adding the oil, it runs without problem.  So, make sure your oil level is FULL!

Changed the oil and validated its up to the "full" mark on the dip stick. Spark plugs are new but were oily. Cleaned'em up and put'em back in. I can feel the vacuum from the fuel pump and let it crank long enough to draw fuel in. No dice. It doesn't even fire. I'll check that the spark plugs fire tomorrow.

Pull the plugs and crank it over several times without the plugs in to blow the residual oil out of the cylinders before putting clean plugs back in.

Pulled the plugs and turned it over a dozen times. Validated the plugs still have a spark and put them back in. Still no vamos. I'm fresh out of ideas. I really appreciate you guys helping me. What could the oil have gummed up? Valves? Cylinders? Any way to clean it out?

You have spark, must be enough oil in it. I don't think the oil has done anything except maybe to continue fouling your plugs. Try a couple shots of starting fluid. If it fires and runs 'til starting fluid is burned up, try again. If it just runs on ether, there's no fuel. It ran well enough during bench test. Where did the fuel for bench testing come from? Is there gas in the bowl. I wonder if you fixed the carb when the problem was fuel supply? Does fuel come out of fuel line? Maybe problem is a kink in the fuel line from re-installing. Or a pin hole in fuel line between gas tank and fuel pump. Or finally filter or pump are bad. How much gas is in the tank? The generator fuel pick up in the gas tank is generally elevated so the generator runs out of fuel before stranding you with no gas. 1/4 or even 3/8 tank and genny won't get gas.

Good luck with it.
Bill

driftless shifter said:
You have spark, must be enough oil in it. I don't think the oil has done anything except maybe to continue fouling your plugs. Try a couple shots of starting fluid. If it fires and runs 'til starting fluid is burned up, try again. If it just runs on ether, there's no fuel. It ran well enough during bench test. Where did the fuel for bench testing come from? Is there gas in the bowl. I wonder if you fixed the carb when the problem was fuel supply? Does fuel come out of fuel line? Maybe problem is a kink in the fuel line from re-installing. Or a pin hole in fuel line between gas tank and fuel pump. Or finally filter or pump are bad. How much gas is in the tank? The generator fuel pick up in the gas tank is generally elevated so the generator runs out of fuel before stranding you with no gas. 1/4 or even 3/8 tank and genny won't get gas.

Good luck with it.
Bill

^^^^This

Bought some starter fluid to try your suggestion, Driftless Shifter, but also bought a spark plug gapper and and a charger with a 50 amp booster cuz I had run down my battery. Gapped the plugs properly (duh!) and hooked up the booster. Turned over much faster with the booster compared the fully charged jump starter I was using. After the fuel filled the lines it started and ran roughly like it was only firing on one cylinder. I feathered the throttle a bit because I could tell it wasn't sitting in the right position. Once it hit a high enough rpm the other cylinder started firing properly. Now it starts like a champ and runs like new.

After following your advice to clean it out the remaining self-inflicted issues were the spark plug gaps were too wide and had to few amps for cranking. Thank you guys for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom