One Second After

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, Maddie, I've read it.  Of all the 'doomsday' scenarios that are realistically possible, this is one of the scariest.  While I had long been aware of the effects of an 'EMP'-emitting burst, I had never really had my imagination tweaked as to the ramifications for a society so totally dependent upon grid-supplied electrical power and upon our electrically-driven devices.  Some people think their best chance of survival is in being well armed and capable of violence; some think good negotiation skills, mental resilience and a good horse will be most useful.  I can be entertained all evening around a campfire just hearing everybody's ideas how to get by til they can raise their kids to take their places as adults in that new world.

I have read it and it is a great book.

I have also read "Earth Abides"  and "Malevil"  both are older books 60's or so and worth the search if you can find them.

Yes, Jerry, one of the biggest 'aha' moments was how the EMP started supposedly, (as the people don't know at this point since they have no communication), by our enemies as they decided the best way to get to Americans is not onesy twosy nukes that we feel at least most of us would survive and then annihilate them, but take out all electronics/electricity that we are so spoiled by. Then we would eventually destroy each other.

Another interesting thing is that I have recommended this book to coworkers and even a prepper, and they kind of nod and say "oh, really?".  As they carefully back away. I don't present it as a doomsday thing but as an interesting book about what and how much we truly are dependent on for everyday life.  I probably would have backed away, too, a few years ago. But there has been created such a division of entitlists as never before, I felt this was more of concern than in our past.

You would probably also enjoy Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather.  It's available from Amazon at this page.

camperAL said:
Greetings, I've thought about that (since I have a freezer). What I think you would have to do, is fire up the oven and make a lot of jerky..........that is after the really great BBQ. Best!

And what kind of fuel does your oven require??  Electricity is not available so my gas oven won't work if I even have gas.  Coal or wood burning would work if you have one of those old timers.  It gets real interesting once you start thinking about the situation.  No electricity, gas, gasoline, diesel or ??? as they all require pumping stations, vehicle or other transport.

Ned, thanks, I'll check into that.

Jim, those that knew how to do things such as drying meat and fruit were highly prized. The community was highly guarded against intruders. However, people such as linemen who remembered how to string telephone lines, those that knew how to rig an old-fashioned generator (that's how they eventually got gas out of pump stations), doctors, nurses, of course, were let in. Farmers who knew how to grow something from nothing, and of course Nam and Gulf War vets whom had done combat were highly regarded.

Someone such as myself, with no particular skill set (unless you want to trade stocks and bonds, which for some reason I don't think would be a high priority) would be kept out to fend for ourselves. Really gets you to thinking how useless some of us are in a situation like that.

Maddie,

The neighborhood I live in is complete with a couple of electrical engineers, I'm one of them, construction inspector, electronics repair and cable tech, as well as several other talented people, mechanics, and do it yourselfers.  In addition many of us have RVs, we all are on wells and septic systems, several have serious gardens and there  are several talented seamstresses/crafters.  Several of us are excellent hunters and there a also a couple of fisher people with an excellent trout stream within a mile of the house.  In our tract is also the kitchen supervisor for the county jail and a deputy sheriff.  many of the local sheriffs live within a mile as well as several Highway patrol officers.  It is an interesting area that also includes several Doctors and nurses.

The area we live in is essentially rural and all of us have 1/2 acre or larger lots so there is room for large gardens.

After all that we are still concerned about the potential for having to rely on ourselves for a long period of time

Jim, can I move into your neighborhood?  Just kidding, I'm sure there is a lot of talent here, too, being a rural retirement horse community.  This subject is just something you don't want to bring up to just anybody, being akin to the UFO sighting you had last night.

I read it a coupla years back, but had been exposed to the theory before; way back in the late 70's when I worked with an outfit that tried to predict some environmental effects of various nuclear scenarios.  Not very cheery work, as you may imagine.
EMP is very real, but the effects have been somewhat overstated for dramatic effect.  It would have a tremendously destabilizing effect on our lives, but the likelihood of it killing every vehicle with electronic ignition is extremely remote.
Anyway, let's all hope we never find out.

If good practice was followed, you are right, EMP is survivable.  Back in Desert storm our military found that the static in the desert disabled their electronics, especially radios.  I also worked with EMP protection back in the mid to late 60s and then later in the 70 with lightning protection for Space shuttle.  Both are interesting and dangerous.

I am concerned for most modern autos and many appliances as my Ham gear affects many of them.  100 watts of RF at some frequencies cause "interesting" effects. 

Jim Godward said:
And what kind of fuel does your oven require??  Electricity is not available so my gas oven won't work if I even have gas.  Coal or wood burning would work if you have one of those old timers.  It gets real interesting once you start thinking about the situation.  No electricity, gas, gasoline, diesel or ??? as they all require pumping stations, vehicle or other transport.

Hi Jim and all,

We have propane and the oven doesn't need any electric to work. Until we would run out of L.P. we could make jerky.
BTW, we have cooked with the oven during power failers before. Best!

I have  a friend and mentor (He was my instructor for the last class I took in Ham Radio,, I graduated early and now.. Well, I can no longer upgrade my Ham license (The one I have is as good as they get :) ).

He worked for Chrysler and one of his jobs was testing cars by installing radios.

Imagine the poor police officer  he is driving down the freewya 10mph over the speed lmit when some jerk flys past him like he was in PARK.. He hits the gas, Keys the transmitter "Dispatch, this is Adam Twelve, I'm in pursuit of a .. And the engine in his patrol car sputters and dies from RFI to the computer) Unit number from TV show of same name).

That was Tom's job, to make sure that did NOT happen.. Like me Tom is licensed for 1,000 watts and that's what they tested at. (2,000 peak envelope power)

Worked with a guy that had an RF sensitive car alarm.  I got good laughs out of keying up my 2m mobile (30 watts) to finish a conversation when pulling into the parking lot. 

Remember the Cadillac with the 8-6-4 engine that change the number of cylinders depending on speed and load.  One of the secretaries had one and I passed her on my way to work talking on my radio.  Cadillac provided her with a new engine and modified the electronics on some cars.  I have gotten at least one parks WIFI receiver when I overloaded the front end, no filtering in that one.

Funny I saw this and last night just read that N Korea got equipment from Russia and are working on EMP development to disrupt all the stuff in S Korea.  That's the kind of stuff, communications, my son is responsible with in the military, he is DOD.  He does not talk about any of it, is considered essential personnel and is supplied with uniforms and a sidearm in case anything happens over there, I guess he becomes a part of the military again somehow, not sure about how that works.  I hope they have developed things to detect and thwart it.  That now is one of the situations preppers dread is an EMP event.  From what I've read that is scary we are sure putting all our eggs in one basket.

I have freezers full but I can can all the food long as my propane holds out.  Tom got my new propane stove in for me.  The electronic lighters won't work so use a match if  you don't have electric.  I would can everything I could till the propane is gone so we could still have lots of food back.  I'm sort of a semi prepper anyway so have anything and everything back.  We are in a tiny community too and a bit isolated, one of the reasons we are here too.  And everyone knows everyone else.  After seeing the results of that massive hurricane in New Orleans and they were clear over to us it really got me to thinking.  I wanted out of there and we succeeded.  Tom and I could survive for a long time if we were no threatened by others or required to feed more then ourselves but I'm sure most people don't have back the quantities of food and supplies we do.

I get a kick out of the prepper sites, some talk about things to keep their kids entertained, they obviously did not grow up like me.  They would find in short order that is the least of their problems.  If we truly went back in time they would find likely 80 to 90% of their time would be required to hunt, cook, prepare for winter, garden, can, sew, to just survive and most would never make it.  They would need the kids labor to help make it.  I started canning about age 10 or so and in a couple years could do it by myself.  They just have no idea.  I hope it never happens, I grew up doing all that kind of work and remember it well I hope I don't have to do it again at the age we are getting.

When I built the house in WA state, due to a couple of factors we wound up putting the electric meter on the wellhouse, then going underground from there another 200 ft. to the main house. 

Inside the wellhouse I put a 36" x 36" electrical box and made a surge suppressor of sorts by coiling the primary cables and passing them through ferrite cores.  Then the wiring went through the generator transfer panel, etc. before proceeding to the house.

If nothing else, the loops and ferrite should dampen a fast rise time EMP pulse a bit before it gets into the house's electrical panel.

The well pump was fed via a separate cable coming back from the house.  This was so I could power it from the motorhome generator which we connected to the house panel before we got the big generator and transfer panel (surplus from the radio station where I used to work).

That house was a pretty good hunker down place.  Located on a rural island with only one bridge on or off, which passed next to the county's Emergency Operations Center (sheriff's station).  Whenever there was suspicious activity on the island, the sheriff would simply sit by the bridge and wait for the suspect.  Self sufficient except for incoming electricity and that was backed up by generator.

Back
Top Bottom