One Second After

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oldman101 said:
You can find it here  (( One Second After.pdf - yimg.com )) for free . If the link doesn't work just Google it .

Bill

Thanks bill! I tried to find it on google but kept downloading bad things not just a book  :eek:

1275gtsport said:
Thanks bill! I tried to find it on google but kept downloading bad things not just a book  :eek:

Sorry about that . I should have been clearer . Google  one second after pfd .  When the page comes up it will have (( [ PFD ]  One Second After.pdf - yimg.com )) at the top of it . When you click on it , it will go to the box in your computer asking you where you want to download it . I clicked on my documents and clicked save .    I am running windows xp and have trend micro as my security and it downloaded no problem .
I dont know if this is the whole book but it sure gives a person good reading . I am about halfway through it

I hope this helps Bill

No no Bill it is I that should have been clearer. when I searched google on my own I was just hitting spam like sites and sites that needed login info or pdf's that were free but needed a password to open (that you had to buy)
I even tried to find it at my local library, online. they had the audio book.

the link you posted works just fine. I just copied and pasted and was able to download and read the pdf. (at least test to make sure it opened.)

I have been on pain killers the last couple of days due to a medical condition, so sometimes what I type seems clear and straight forward to me :) but  may not be understandable by others. I usually just don't post during the pain times but I really wanted to read this book.

adding it to my kobo now.

thanks again.

Thanks for all the feedback, and yes, it is ironic to read about EMP on an ebook.  But I had to laugh at myself the other night.  I was grumbling mightily to my husband on how we were paying $248 a month for all the Verizon communications we were addicted to.  I WAS GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!  So what do I do?  I go to the internet to investigate....... duh.

1275gtsport said:
Any body want to lend me the ebook (epub) when you have finished reading it?

sounds like a good read.

My copy is paper -- I've had it since long before ebooks. You were talking about Farnham's Freehold?

Maddie said:
Thanks for all the feedback, and yes, it is ironic to read about EMP on an ebook.  But I had to laugh at myself the other night.  I was grumbling mightily to my husband on how we were paying $248 a month for all the Verizon communications we were addicted to.  I WAS GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!  So what do I do?  I go to the internet to investigate....... duh.
Tmobile has a plan that offers unlimited voice text and web for $70 per month. You can add a hot spot for $30 per month.

Stan, thanks, it took a while but have enjoyed the feedback.

Seiler, I'll look into to Tmobile but because I live in the sticks Verizon has a pretty much lock in the area.

Larry N. said:
My copy is paper -- I've had it since long before ebooks. You were talking about Farnham's Freehold?
nope I was talking about he one second after book the thread was kind of about. The Farnham's Freehold might be a good read too will have to see if  I can download that. If not I may have to go to the local Library and borrow a paper copy.

I just finished the One Second After. good book thought provoking.

We are in the sticks too, but somehow live next to a secondary highway that has fiber optic cables running down it.  We get Frontier
phone service and internet for $110 a month and its excellent service, better then it was in Houston.  Been here almost a year and not 1 outage I've had to call on who knew.

But we have Dish and the weather effects it but it does come back on pretty quick and come to think of it only had to call them once when we first came here to change something as each cable box hooks up 2 places and had to have that change. I think its close to $130 so sounds like ours is about as much as yours.  I know this is a luxury but it sure is a nice one to have.  All this keeps me connected to the world even way out here where cellphones don't work!

But I can tell you if anything ever did go badly wrong this is sure the place to be.  We have lots of expertise around here too, only thing most of us are getting up in years.  The young people around here know squat about surviving that is.  Guess they would have to learn pretty quick, I fear though it would be by taking from folks like us if they can.

Hi Carolyn,
Sticks, also, but we have a HUMONHGOUS Facebook "factory"? building about 20 miles from here.  Supposedly there are more fiber optic cables running thru these sticks than anywhere in the SE.  So really strange. I mean these buildings are about ten acres each and it looks like three of them.  For Facebook, which is basically ether-land, I don't understand it.  Any computer geeks want to lambast or even comment on my question?  I'm open to learning.

You don't do a FB sized project on a couple of dozen servers. Enough servers for the kind of traffic FB has take a lot of space, not to mention cooling, heating, offices, maybe a cafeteria, emergency power, spare parts, future expansion, perhaps vehicle garage built in, perhaps emergency shelters for folks who work there, and who knows what else. I suspect I've only scratched the surface.

According to this article Facebook may be running as many as 217,080 servers.  And this article is over a year old. 

I'm restarting this discussion.  Now that North Korea is becoming a more critical threat with its missile testing, its nuclear obsession and EMP capabilities, i think it's important to be prepared for the worst.

Questions i have:  Is an RV a safe place to be should there be nuclear fallout winds blown into the US from the tradewinds.  Most gov't sites say that during fallout being indoors is safest; inside buildings and homes with basements the best.  Cars are not safe.  Where would an RV be on this list?  i guess if it is sealed up tightly it might be, obviously depending on where you are in comparison to the ground zero.

Would life be sustainable in an RV for a while if you traveled to a safe location? 

I think an RV would generally be even less safe than a car due to the wall construction. Unless, of course, you have lead walls on your RV.?
Bob

In the Navy, we were taught there were four types of radiation, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Neutron.
We were taught to hold the Alpha in your hand, as it won't penetrate the skin. You put the Beta in your pocket because it won't penetrate your clothing. You eat the gamma, as it won't cause that much damage to your cells. You throw the Neutron away from you, as that is the one that will do the most damage. The first two, an RV would probably be ok, and maybe even stop some of the third. Neutrons are a different story, an RV won't help there.
Either way, I'm not running around wearing a tin-foil hat worrying about it. What will be, will be. There isn't enough truly safe places for all of us, and being I live on flat land on the East coast, any place here would probably become so contaminated with fall-out, it really wouldn't matter where I hide.

I read it and the second book and loved it.  The third and final book comes out this fall I believe and looking forward to it.

kdbgoat said:
In the Navy, we were taught there were four types of radiation, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Neutron.
We were taught to hold the Alpha in your hand, as it won't penetrate the skin. You put the Beta in your pocket because it won't penetrate your clothing. You eat the gamma, as it won't cause that much damage to your cells. You throw the Neutron away from you, as that is the one that will do the most damage. The first two, an RV would probably be ok, and maybe even stop some of the third. Neutrons are a different story, an RV won't help there.
Either way, I'm not running around wearing a tin-foil hat worrying about it. What will be, will be. There isn't enough truly safe places for all of us, and being I live on flat land on the East coast, any place here would probably become so contaminated with fall-out, it really wouldn't matter where I hide.

8) 8) 8) A few years ago,  I built a larger addition on to our cabin.  Completely lined with double aluminum foil faced bubble wrap radiant barrier to stop radiant heat loss or gain.  Then put in Metal coated triple glass windows too.  Then sided and roofed the whole thing with Galvalume Steel Pole Barn steel.

Now I was doing all this for energy conservation and easy maintenance, but now it looks like when the balloon goes up I will be protected from  Kim Jong Dumb too. 

Who would of thunk it. 8) 8) 8)

Back
Top Bottom