Ontario/New York 1000 Islands Region Protocols

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

Hello, all...and thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

Planning a stop in the 1,000 Islands area between Ontario and New York, and was hoping to ask a few questions of those who have visited before.

A) Given that the region is bisected by the US/Canada border, does that affect things significantly for someone who rents a pontoon boat to explore the mansions? Are there border agents on the water who prevent "crossing over", or are you generally free to boat among the islands without worrying too much about the line of separation? If the line *is* enforced, I'd imagine that it's prudent to rent your pontoon *on the side you intend to visit most*?

B) Am I generally correct that it's possible to rent a pontoon and to cruise relatively freely between/among the islands in a "self guided tour" kind of way?

C) Any experiences with the NY state campgrounds on the St Lawrence islands that would be pro/con versus staying on the mainland in Ontario or New York?

Thanks and happy travels!

From the Canadian Border Services Agency website:

"If you enter Canadian waters for leisure and touring, including pleasure fishing, sightseeing and other discretionary purposes (known as loop movements), you are not required to report to the CBSA as long as the boat does not land on Canadian soil, anchor, moor or come alongside another boat in Canadian waters."

I can't speak to boat rentals in the area since we've only done the guided tours.

We frequently stay at Robert Moses State Park on the Seaway near Massena, NY. We're also going to be staying for a couple of weeks this spring at Wellsley Island State Park on the Seaway near Fineview, NY on a full hookup site.

Clayton, NY and Alexandria Bay NY both have boat rental places. While you are free to cruise both sides of the waterway. Ontario laws against drinking on a boat while underway are strict and enforced.
Grass point state park on the main land is about midway between the two towns named above. Wellesley Island state park is very nice, but you must pay a toll every time you cross the bridge from either main land. Currently $6.00 for an RV and $3.25 for an automobile.

Clayton, NY and Alexandria Bay NY both have boat rental places. While you are free to cruise both sides of the waterway. Ontario laws against drinking on a boat while underway are strict and enforced.
Grass point state park on the main land is about midway between the two towns named above. Wellesley Island state park is very nice, but you must pay a toll every time you cross the bridge from either main land. Currently $6.00 for an RV and $3.25 for an automobile.
Just to add to the toll issue, they do accept E-ZPass but no other electronic tolling tags except their own limited trip tags. Oddly, the bridge authority does sell Florida's SunPass as a convenience to Canadians traveling to Florida, but they don't work on the International bridges.

Ontario laws against drinking on a boat while underway are strict and enforced.
Indeed. The OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) Marine Unit is quite strict about open liquor/beer while boating.

Quoting the current regulations:

"In Ontario, if your boat is equipped with a permanent toilet, cooking facilities, and sleeping facilities, boat passengers may legally consume alcohol. However, the boat must be anchored or docked"

From the Canadian Border Services Agency website:

"If you enter Canadian waters for leisure and touring, including pleasure fishing, sightseeing and other discretionary purposes (known as loop movements), you are not required to report to the CBSA as long as the boat does not land on Canadian soil, anchor, moor or come alongside another boat in Canadian waters."

I can't speak to boat rentals in the area since we've only done the guided tours.

We frequently stay at Robert Moses State Park on the Seaway near Massena, NY. We're also going to be staying for a couple of weeks this spring at Wellsley Island State Park on the Seaway near Fineview, NY on a full hookup site.
Hey Dutch,

How would you compare Robert Moses with Wellsley Island? We're thinking of heading up that way from our downstate NY hideaway at some point this summer or Fall along with RV friends up around Lake George.

Any insights as to what the guided tours you're taken offer also appreciated.

Hey Dutch,

How would you compare Robert Moses with Wellsley Island? We're thinking of heading up that way from our downstate NY hideaway at some point this summer or Fall along with RV friends up around Lake George.

Any insights as to what the guided tours you're taken offer also appreciated.
It's been several years since we've been back to Wellsley and the immediate area, so I'm hesitant to say too much. As I recall, the Wellsley Island campsites are a bit closer together than we prefer, but not too bad. Between the time that's passed and any changes due to COVID, I have no idea what tours are still in operation. The last one we took was a fairly large boat and quite comfortable with reasonably priced food and drink on board. I don't recall the name though. We love Robert Moses SP, especially when we can get one of our preferred sites facing the seaway with plenty of foliage between the adjoining sites. Next fall, we'll be on our preferred site, and our two daughters will be on the two sites next to us for part of our stay. They'll be bringing their kayaks, so we'll get to spend some time checking out the Eisenhower Lock "up close and personal" instead of just watching the ships going in and out from our site.

Last edited:
I live in/near Ogdensburg, NY. Been fishing and boating the St. Lawrence RIver for may years. My advise - get a gps, stay in American waters and follow the regulations. Look at a map of the Thousand Islands area, you will get really good idea of what islands and castles you can visit without entering Candian water.

Indeed. The OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) Marine Unit is quite strict about open liquor/beer while boating.

Quoting the current regulations:

"In Ontario, if your boat is equipped with a permanent toilet, cooking facilities, and sleeping facilities, boat passengers may legally consume alcohol. However, the boat must be anchored or docked"
And if you anchor or dock in Canadian waters you must report in to their customs and immigration services

Just to add to the toll issue, they do accept E-ZPass but no other electronic tolling tags except their own limited trip tags. Oddly, the bridge authority does sell Florida's SunPass as a convenience to Canadians traveling to Florida, but they don't work on the International bridges.
I don’t know exactly when it started, but sometime in the past couple of years, Sun Pass and EZ Pass became reciprocal. Our EZ Pass works here in Florida now.
I wonder if this development impacts Sun Pass on the international bridges?

Last edited:
I don’t know exactly when it started, but sometime I the past couple of years, Sun Pass and EZ Pass became reciprocal. Our EZ Pass works here in Florida now.
I wonder if this development impacts Sun Pass on the international bridges?
E-ZPass works in Florida now, but the Sun Pass does not work in all 19 states and bridges, etc., that accept E-ZPass.

It's been several years since we've been back to Wellsley and the immediate area, so I'm hesitant to say too much. As I recall, the Wellsley Island campsites are a bit closer together than we prefer, but not too bad. Between the time that's passed and any changes due to COVID, I have no idea what tours are still in operation. The last one we took was a fairly large boat and quite comfortable with reasonably priced food and drink on board. I don't recall the name though. We love Robert Moses SP, especially when we can get one of our preferred sites facing the seaway with plenty of foliage between the adjoining sites. Next fall, we'll be on our preferred site, and our two daughters will be on the two sites next to us for part of our stay. They'll be bringing their kayaks, so we'll get to spend some time checking out the Eisenhower Lock "up close and personal" instead of just watching the ships going in and out from our site.
Thanks much for the insights Dutch. I'll get together with our friends up that way and see what kind of plan we can come up with. Sounds like you folks are all set for an enjoyable family outing come fall yourselves!

That I did not know. Guess it doesn’t matter since we’ve got EZ Pass. Seems odd that the agreement is one way… assumed it was reciprocal.
The original Sun Pass only works in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina, but the new SunPass PRO does work in all E-ZPass tolling locations. If you already have an E-ZPass, there's no need to buy a SunPass PRO. RV'ers thinking of buying a SunPassPRO need to contact the North Carolina Quick-Pass folks for a special transponder if they'll have more than 2 axles such as a TT and tow vehicle or a motorhome and toad.

Thanks much for the insights Dutch. I'll get together with our friends up that way and see what kind of plan we can come up with. Sounds like you folks are all set for an enjoyable family outing come fall yourselves!
Once we head back north in the spring, we'll be at Wellsley Island for the couple of weeks around Memorial Day, and then a few weeks later we'll be at Gilbert Lake State Park for the two weeks around the 4th of July before heading for Letchworth State Park for the last two weeks of July and then on to Robert Moses in August for the weeks around Labor Day and a two week return visit to Gilbert Lake to shut down the park for the winter on Columbus Day in October. In between we'll spend some time at our private sites in the southern Adirondacks and southern Vermont before heading south again for the winter. It's a tough life, but someone has to do it... ;)

Thank you all for the great info...much appreciated. :). Happy and safe travels to all.

Once we head back north in the spring, we'll be at Wellsley Island for the couple of weeks around Memorial Day, and then a few weeks later we'll be at Gilbert Lake State Park for the two weeks around the 4th of July before heading for Letchworth State Park for the last two weeks of July and then on to Robert Moses in August for the weeks around Labor Day and a two week return visit to Gilbert Lake to shut down the park for the winter on Columbus Day in October. In between we'll spend some time at our private sites in the southern Adirondacks and southern Vermont before heading south again for the winter. It's a tough life, but someone has to do it... ;)
If you have any problems when at Letchworth we are 20 min away with room to park and power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom