Open Range 5th Wheel: Is the cable slide system great or rotten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

susannewcomb

I am considering buying an Open Range 398 Residential unit but my neighbor says I should never consider slide-outs run on cable rather than hydrolics. I had hoped that since Open Range has improved so many other aspects of 5th wheels for long term use that they would have improved the cable system as well.  Any comments?

Slideouts are operated by electric motors, hydraulic motors, cables or rack and pinion, and I don't see any one type being better than another.  There are much more important considerations to selecting an RV than how the slideout is operated.

Oftentimes a person's opinions are colored by one bad experience and do not reflect reality.  My personal preference is for electric and never hydraulics, but that's my opinion, not based on any factual evidence.  That doesn't make my opinion any more valid than your neighbor's :)

I haven't heard anything "recently" on the slideout problems.  I know there was some talk at one time about "issues" with them.  We looked at the Open Range 5ers and really liked what we saw.  I suspect there is an Open Range Forum out there somewhere where you can get more information about them.

cables are my least favorite but i have only seem them recently on small bed or wardrobe slides, not main slides so they may not be that bad.

Are Cable Slides Rotten?  Only if the cable is rotting (rusting)

I have both cable and rack & Pinion on this Intruder.. I will give you a list of my problems to date

Cable cars.. ONE cable snapped... I was able to replace it with fairly common cable.. Was not an easy job due to where it broke but I did it by myself with no assistance to speak of.

Rack and Pinion: I buy replacement shear bolts by the dozen.

I kind of like the cable system... The only maintenance they should require is a bit of lubrication (Which is not called for in the manual) and occasional checking of the adjustment nuts (one of mine worked loose and got lost)

I like it way better than the rack.

Hydraulic.. Well, they can leak, blow seals, or hoses, or have other issues that more or less leave you in the same place my Rack & Pinion does when the bolt breaks only messier.

Still.. I'd rather have hydraulic than the rack.

John,

I too like the Open Range 5Th wheels. I have been looking for opinions too, but cant locate anyone who owns an Open Range. However, in looking around at all types of 5Th wheels, I have noticed that alot of companies are resorting to cable slides on the smaller slides, such as the master bed. If they are starting to use them for light weight purposes....I guess its fine to use them on all slides

Cable mechanisms have been around for a long time and are as good or bad as the design of the system.  Look at cranes, elevators, aerial ladders and roll off trucks to name a few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom