Opening up trailer for Spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LBFraser

We recently opened up our trailer and found what appears to be a couple of mouse droppings on countertop. Our trailer was bought new just last summer and was cleaned thoroughly, and everything removed from it for the winter. Is this common or could we possibly have a hole somewhere where mice could enter. I'm surprised as I thought the trailer was well sealed. Thanks, our trailer is a 2016 Jayco Jayflight

LBFraser said:
...Is this common or could we possibly have a hole somewhere where mice could enter...

Both, I think.  If you look carefully underneath, you may be able to spot where they're getting in.  When I'm not using mt TT for a bit, I usually set some traps.

Apparently if you can get a pencil in a hole, a mouse can get in. They appear to be incredibly flexible. Hope you get rid of them easily.

Few RVs are sealed well enough to keep mice out. There are openings through the floor for plumbing and wiring, and mice can get through incredibly tiny openings. Traps or mouse-baits are always a good idea during cold weather storage when mice are searching for a snug winter nesting place.

Thanks! We will set traps before closing for winter. Is it advisable to try and use  some form of spray barrier around openings for plumbing etc to keep them out?

The best spray barrier around openings is a foam sealant, but determined mice will chew through that!

Fill all holes you can find with steel wool or similar material they can not chew through.

Build a bucket trap and leave it in the camper all winter.  It can catch multiple mice with no need to reset the trap.

Back
Top Bottom