PALO DURO CANYON RALLY, MAY 10-17, 2015 - CANYON TEXAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We rolled into Albuquerque about 4:30 this afternoon and drove through about every form of weather, good and bad, today.  Rain so hard we had to slow to about 45 mph, hail and nearly a whiteout conditions after leaving Bloomfield heading south on hwy 550.  Albuquerque the wind is blowing but Chrystal and I just got back from a walk after having some fantastic Mexican food for dinner that the receptionist recommended at the campground.

See Y'all tomorrow afternoon.

Mike.

Maybe it's fortunate we delayed our departure until Monday, with all the bad weather up north :)  Our new cooling unit is installed and cooling and we are on schedule to leave on Monday, arriving at Palo Duro Canyon on Tuesday afternoon.  See you all then.

We're at The Raton KOA now -- arrived almost two hours ago. We had lots of rain coming down I-25,  plus just on the south side of the summit of Monument Hill (between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs) we ran into snow. Unfortunately someone had hit the snow unexpectedly and flipped over, so we had 2-3 miles of  stop and go traffic. Then in the Springs there were several miles of thick white stuff, largely slushy -- this was the leftover from several inches of hail (glad we weren't there when it came down). Then, as usual, strong, gusty west winds from a litte ways S. of Pueblo to almost Trinidad. But at least there was some sunshine.

See ya'll manana...

Ron from Big D said:
Larry:  You don't have my slideshow on the schedule, but it looks like we could do Monday night or Friday night.  What do you think?

We're having the Fish Fry Tuesday night.  How about you being the dinner entertainment???

For those looking for a bit more comfort while off-roading.  This one belonged to the park host in Earp CA. 

Attachments

• 20150505_191759.jpg
    20150505_191759.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 54
We arrived at the campground around 4 PM, and most folks were already gathered at Big Larry's "headquarters" coach area, starting happy hour and an information gathering. The schedule was discussed, among other things,  and most was as posted above, though I think there was one change (I wasn't there when they discussed that). There seems to be a campfire at "HQ."

I am so thrilled that after a few hours  of fiddling my  techie husband  got us  internet service!  So here is  my report for the day.

We left Amarillo at 10:30  thrilled to get  on to THE RALLY.  We arrived with a mere  40 miles of travel and  entered the  Texas State Park Gate.  Lots of people were in line in front of  us and  we bought the  $70 State Park Pass and saved $12.  Must be the new  math!  We were so anxious to arrive but the check out time is  2pm and  our  spot was not vacated until 1:30, but there was a huge parking lot the guys could wait until our spot was available.  We watched as all people scheduled to arrive today came in.  Frank/Barb, Larry/Loretta, Henry/Margaret, Jan/Olga, Don/Susan, Jerry/Ardra, Gary/Maria, beat us into the  Mesquite Section. Ken/Sheila followed us in, then Mike/Chrystal,Ron/Shirley,  Don/MaryAnn N, Allen/Suzanne, Robin/Charles, and Ernie and Tara are staying off site but drove in for the Happy Hour.  I think I counted 15  rigs so far.  The weather is  BEAUTIFUL today.  At the appointed time  of 4 pm we gathered at the Dodd Mansion for opening ceremonies.

I  will mention items  in this post then  process my photos for  your memories.  Barb  made a Wonderful welcoming  professional  banner posted inside the windshield of Team Lola'a coach.
Larry gave us a bit of Texas  history and recited a POEM to  get us in the  TEXAS mood. He had Texas music playing in the  background and THEN he presented a Yellow rose ( of Texas) to  each female present in honor of Mother's Day.

Talk about ceremony!  Jan brought MONKEY from Australia and presented him to Henry  for  one night, Larry gets monkey tomorrow.  The honor was bestowed because of  their  help on Jan's recent RV ISSUES.  Another hero was Mike Z who spent  until after 8 pm solving the starter problem on Jan's rig  (despite his long drive in from Albuquerque tonight.)
The  weekly schedule was fine tuned.  Some are going on a Jeep trip  tomorrow.  We got  packets of information of the area.  Thanks again Barb and Frank.  I walked the perimeter of the  loop tonight and found a warm campfire going at team Lola's.  I joined  into some very  interesting conversations.  It is going to be fun to  get to  know our  new RVForum participants.  West Australian visitors Allen and Suzanne shared some of  their of their  USA travels so far.  Love their accents!

Photos to  follow!

I LOVE your rally reports, Betty!  Nobody does them any better than you do.  Keep them coming to share with all of us who are unable to join you at Palo Duro Canyon. 

Photos 
Welcoming Banner
Larry giving welcoming remarks
Schedule  of events
Our rig in  Palo Duro spot 83
Henry and  Monkey
Shirley walks her dogs

Attachments

• IMG_4064.JPG
    IMG_4064.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4066.JPG
    IMG_4066.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4034.JPG
    IMG_4034.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4061.JPG
    IMG_4061.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4063.JPG
    IMG_4063.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 46
Allen and Suzanne from West Perth...He has been lurking  on  our forum for a couple of years!

Susan snagged the Texas Award  (Smiley Face) (for telling a joke today that made those who heard it laugh)  Note her Texas rose!

Olga with her TX rose Ken and Ardra can be seen as well. 

Attachments

• IMG_4047.JPG
    IMG_4047.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4059.JPG
    IMG_4059.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4039.JPG
    IMG_4039.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 51
We arrived yesterday with Terry and Betty. We first visited Palo Duro in 2000 when we stopped in the area so I could get my Class B license - which is another story.

Just a few photos from yesterday.

1. Betty with flower
2. Larry reading a poem about Texas
3&4 photos of some of the camp ground from a hill behind our rig

Ken

Attachments

• P1030928.JPG
    P1030928.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 46
  • P1030925.JPG
    P1030925.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 45
  • P1030920.JPG
    P1030920.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 55
  • P1030919.JPG
    P1030919.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 50
taoshum said:
Hello All,

We just got word that Coleen's son's father-in-law died this morning, suddenly.  The grand-daughter's other grand-father...  Anyway, we won't make it to P'Duro on Sunday or Monday and depending on the arrangements in ABQ, maybe not at all???  We will need to return to Taos tomorrow, then ABQ, probably Monday?; then back to Taos to get the RV... then P'Duro???  Then there's the weather situation to deal with too.  Tornado warnings in Texas; huge thunder-boomers here today; blizzard in Colorado; Hard Freeze warning in Taos; GEEZ!

We cancelled the reservations for Sunday and Monday nights with the Texas State Park Central Reservations Office.

Will post more news later...

thx, G.

Update:  Coleen has just cancelled the remaining reservation dates (Tuesday thru Friday) so if anyone needs a space, one just opened...  Anyway, we are not going to make it.  Services are now scheduled for Thursday.  We came back to Taos on Sunday.  Lo Siento, maybe next time.  Thanks, Gary.

Sorry that so many had to cancel this rally as  we are having a wonderful time!  Not many of us down here in the Canyon have  internet so my reports will likely be read later.  Hope  participants don't mind the press they receive from me!

Day  2 of the rally gave us beautiful weather!  Blue skies and  a light breeze.  I heard those going on the Jeep ride this  morning leave at  8 am to  meet up at Ihop for breakfast.  I rolled over and went back to sleep. I was sorry we did not bring our Jeep  so we could participate but  our "other car" is much  more comfortable and  hold passengers for the remainder of  our trip! 

We  joined Ken and Sheila for lunch today at The King and I Thai food in Canyon. We will be back!  Several went hiking, the guys in the mud!  A few did maintenance chores. Don and Susan went to  Amarillo for service on their rig which we learned was "driver error."  Some visited the Visitor  center . The  jeepers reported one of the " best runs" ever held. Thanks Larry for  arranging this with local Jeep  club! 

Happy hour was held promptly at 4pm and by  5 pm all had arrived for  formal introduction of Robin and Charles who arrived  too late for  introductions yesterday.  Robin reminded us of the rule to wear  your name tag. See you do read the RVForum!  Yep several of us trotted back to our rigs to  get them.  We really do welcome newcomers and realize  not many of us have photographic memories  for  names! Next post will  name the Award winners of today and next day plans!

Here is an image captured this morning along the Juniper Cliffside Trail.  We were with Jerry and Ardra Fitzgerald.

Attachments

• IMG_7619 copy-framed-signed (Medium).jpg
    IMG_7619 copy-framed-signed (Medium).jpg
    204 KB · Views: 53
We are in Palo Duro Canyon and here is the  photo to prove it!

So tomorrow the HIKE is scheduled to leave campground at  9 am.  I  hear it is a moderate hike nearing  5 miles round trip.  I'm going to give it a try.  Heck if  Ron M.  at  83 years old  can do  it , so can I.  Some are going into  Amarillo to the car show of Vintage cars. Issues have held  some folks back from hiking  but not from having fun!

AWARDS  tonight May 11, 2015

Margaret earned Care Bear for  providing  Olga with her first  peanut butter sandwich ever!  They rode together on Jeep trail today.  It almost seems unAmerican to never have eaten a  peanut butter sandwich...oh wait Olga is  not an American but an Australian ! ( Such an international RVForum) Yeaaaaah Margaret for your culinary skills!

The  former "goofy ward" now labeled "DON'T Mess with Texas" went to  Jan  with unanimous approval!  Seems last evening when his  mechanical issues were over he was given the task of returning a box of  parts to Terry B  ( a rig just across from him)  Jan promptly returned them to JERRY a rig  a few sites away !  Ardra had no clue what to do with the box of parts.  Such a Goof! Jan was disappointed to win such an award and so his sad face represents his true feelings.

A unanimous decision was made to provide Mike Z with the Texas Award ( smiley face)  for providing the mechanical expertise to diagnose and solve the starting issue on Jan's rig late into  yesterday evening.  He is a caring individual and a mechanic,  who has knowledge too.  Note to self,,,, travel with Mike.

I'm told Henry diagnosed the issue  hours ago so he got into the photos too!

Attachments

• IMG_4070.JPG
    IMG_4070.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4084.JPG
    IMG_4084.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4086.JPG
    IMG_4086.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4088.JPG
    IMG_4088.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for keeping us posted Betty.  We are so disappointed we aren't there, but my back surgery is Wednesday morning at 11am.  Love the picture of you and Sheila.  We can tell you guys are having fun.  Miss you all.

Steve & Dee

Thank you Betty for keeping us op to date on the events and we look forward for more news despite the difficulty to connect to the outside world.
Wish we could be there but I'm sure you have all a great time. So sorry there were so many cancellations. To organize a rally take a lot of effort and  time. Thank you Larry and Henri and spouses to entertain those youngsters.

chris & mimi

Just a quick update from Team Lola.  THANK YOU to all who have participated.  We appreciate our "Reporter" Betty Brewer for doing photography and posting to the Forum.  Betty always does a great job on keeping up with the happenings, and seeing that everyone is informed. 

Tonight Henry & I will be doing the fish fry.  Everyone brings a covered dish to share, thanks to all who signed up. 
We will again be enjoying some Western Swing Music.  Additionally I have invited a couple of our local friends to join us
and both will have a special contribution to our evening. 

Ron Marabito will then provide us with evening entertainment via his photography slide show.  Ron has a great eye for
catching just the perfect shot and his focus on wild flowers and nature is just what the MD ordered. 

Having a great time in Palo Duro. . .  Miss those who could not make it.  Stay tuned.....,

Our newest honorary Texans and some of our pics of the wild and crazy West Texas Jeep members. Thanks guys for taking us on some Texas Trails.

Attachments

• Weat Texas Jeeps 152.JPG
    Weat Texas Jeeps 152.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Weat Texas Jeeps 154.JPG
    Weat Texas Jeeps 154.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Weat Texas Jeeps 139.JPG
    Weat Texas Jeeps 139.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Weat Texas Jeeps 125.JPG
    Weat Texas Jeeps 125.JPG