PALO DURO CANYON RALLY, MAY 10-17, 2015 - CANYON TEXAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After Happy Hour today a few of us 'lurked' around to enjoy the sunset which did not disappoint.

There was a rainbow just to the east of us as the sun sat.  Then Henry was outside catching some photos
and we feared we were about to see a FULL MOON.  Fortunately all we saw was his chili pepper PJ's. . . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3265-R.jpg
    IMG_3265-R.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3252-R.jpg
    IMG_3252-R.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 40
It was  another  beautiful  day  of an RVForum Rally.  Promptly at 10am the group carpooled out of the Palo Duro  Canyon up into the wonderful town of Canyon. Our destination was  Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum.  Terry  got his haircut first!  The several sections of the museum included  petroleum, paleontology,automobiles,  plains life and wardrobe. I got to sit  in a mustang like the one  I  had in high school and recalled the feel of the steering  wheel once I was there.!  They listed interesting  factoids and I had a lot to talk about at happy hour but those facts will slip out of memory quite soon.  I can only  say go visit yourself!

The Museum  promotes physical exercise and I got  a ticket to be stamped at several stations earning a free water bottle  by walking  a bit over 1 mile on the Museum tour!  Now I have a closed container water bottle as do several in our group!

4:00 Happy Hour was less muddy tonight and salsa containers showed up for  "leftovers."  While we all talked at the same time we  were able to  observe students from Sam Houston University  climbing on the hill behind us.  They are studying geology and making measurements. I  advised them to pay greater  attention to  the  land than I had in my college days. One student told  me he stood between two geologic areas today.  What a wonderful land  in which  we live and are able to observe! 

AWARDS May 14, 2015

Henry  presented Sheila the Texas award ( happy face) for her loud  infectious laughter. Yep we've all heard it!

Charles found Susan a winner of Care Bear for  her recommendation of a shop in Canyon that serves original sodas, root beer floats and other unimportant things!

The DON'T Mess WITH TEXAS  award was  expanded tonight to  include Don't mess with the  USA and more specifically Don't mess with  American  women.  Last night in a  spontaneous conversation I was told my laughter could be heard from across the  campground.  I told the  group gathered outside that I believed that  LAUGHTER  caused  one  to stay young.    The recipient said " Did anyone tell you it is not working? "  Boy did he get boos from  those close by!  So  I gave Allen the award tonight (goofy) for his comment.  In fariness , the moment he  made  the remark he wished he could retract it!  His face was red and he told me  he thought I could handle the remark, which I could but I said  I would  get my revenge.  This guys  fits into the RVForum rallies so well!  As does Suzanne!

Later tonight Ron will show his slides. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMG_4217.JPG
    IMG_4217.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4241.JPG
    IMG_4241.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4244.JPG
    IMG_4244.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4257.JPG
    IMG_4257.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4258.JPG
    IMG_4258.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4255.JPG
    IMG_4255.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 49
It's not exactly like being in Palo Duro Canyon with our forum friends, but the Camping World lot in Oklahoma City, with 30 amp service, is not bad.  We're having the oil changed and a few things looked at that can't be done by a Ford garage.  Hopefully we'll be on our way no later than mid-day tomorrow. 

While we were only able to join in the festivities for three days, we thoroughly enjoyed being with the group and had a great time.  Many thanks to The Big Larry and Henry, and their special ladies, Loretta and Margaret, for putting together a great Rally.  If you guys ever host another rally, just sign us up.  :)

Larry, we went to Sizemore RV.  Unfortunately, the next available appointment was in 3 weeks. 

Betty, you have a great laugh.  And from my perspective, it is working.  As they say, the proof is in the pudding.  Folks, just look at the smile of the lady sitting in that Mustang. 

Oh, if I could only bottle up Betty and Sheila's laughter I would feel so happy.  And, I dare say, Tom would be even happier!  You go girls!  ;)

Thanks to all for keeping us up on the goings on in Palo Duro.  I knew it would be a great time just by the attendees.  Sorry we couldn't be there, but I am all fixed up now and ready for a future rally. Things could not have gone better for me, I am so happy to say.  I am home and pain free!  Thanks to all my "framily" for your prayers and support.  You're the best!

Steve

Steve N Dee said:
Thanks to all for keeping us up on the goings on in Palo Duro.  I knew it would be a great time just by the attendees.  Sorry we couldn't be there, but I am all fixed up now and ready for a future rally. Things could not have gone better for me, I am so happy to say.  I am home and pain free!  Thanks to all my "framily" for your prayers and support.  You're the best!

Steve

Great news. Now you'll make the next rally. Too bad that with Tax season you can't make Indio.

ken

Steve N Dee said:

Steve

I am really happy to hear of your recovery...good stuff!

No  Awards report tonight as the group car pooled to  a Mexican Restaurant in Amarillo so no Happy Hour!  Tara and Ernie did not join us as they  celebrated their  anniversary on their own. Larry and  MaryAnn had visitors from miles away spend the afternoon with them so  they  were absent as well.  The  Don't Mess with Texas Award left us this morning as Allen and Suzanne took it with them or else  Larry most certainly would have gotten the  award.  Something about  locking his keys in his car at the  gas  pumps! 
It is always  sad to see folks leave the rally.  Henry got a new grill and Allen got his old one. 

Laughs were  held in the  circle after dinner as we chuckled  and told stories about  bathroom breaks or lack thereof while driving in the motorhome.  This group likes to laugh and to  eat.

If I may back up to last night, we were treated to yet another master piece slide show as Ron shared his  wonderful photos complete with music.  He captures Mother  Nature so well in his shots.  Then  mother nature  captured us when  the  lightening in the  sky and pending rain storm sent us back to our rigs!  Thanks you Ron for sharing your talents!

8 am breakfast in Canyon and on to the  gun show for some.  Around  noonish some are going to try the  ZIP line here at the entrance to the Canyon.
4pm Gathering 5 pm Bring your own meat to grill yourself and a side dish.

Photos of  the dinner guests!

Attachments

• IMG_5532.JPG
    IMG_5532.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5533.JPG
    IMG_5533.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5534.JPG
    IMG_5534.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5535.JPG
    IMG_5535.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5536.JPG
    IMG_5536.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5538.JPG
    IMG_5538.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 42
'Twas a very nice evening for the chat Betty mentioned, but at 12:04 AM thunder & lightning woke me up. A few minutes later the rain started, gentle at first, then quickly becoming torrential. The thunder was a continuous roll, at times, and this went on off and on all night long. At this moment the rain has eased to a sprinkle, and my rain gauge shows 1.18". Red mud again...

Wish that we could have been with the group there.  Raymonda is still in rehab and this week was fiinally able to walk around the block without having to stop and rest.  The heart attack really hit her hard.  She lost 25 pounds and has only gained 3 pounds back.  Looking forward to Arizona this coming winter.

Bill & Raymonda Dane
99 CC Allure

;D A big Thank You to the organizers of this great rally, and Thank You also to all the participants for making us so welcome.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the canyon, and hopefully we will cross paths with some of you later in our travels. :-*

Allen and Suzanne

The plan of outdoor cook your  own  meat on the grill is in a fluid  state.  We are under a tornado watch and it just hailed the size of  peas for about 4 minutes along with  heavy loud rain.  Before I could get out my camera the sun came out. It is now 62 degrees outside and sun poking through in some places  among the clouds.    I see Larry D walking the area trying  to make an accurate decision go or no go.  I hear  Henry on the  CB.  My steak is ready for the grill or I will sear it and cook it in the oven.  Flexibility is the name of the game and my bet is that none of us will go hungry .

Barb and Frank have opted out due to good sense.  Jerry and Ardra left the  park to find  drier  higher ground in  Amarillo with  less mud. They have an early service appt to have generator fixed so closer is better.  Ernie and Tara are staying put in Amarillo. .  Stay tuned..........In the words of Larry.

Thanks Betty for the wonderful daily updates and pictures.  Almost as good as being there, but not quite.  Sorry we had to pass on this as it looks like a place we would have liked to visit and we had been looking forward to it.  We did have a forum touch today as Linda and Richard Sharp were here to visit us.  Great time and company, and good to see "old" friends again. 

Weather cleared right on schedule and we had another great meal.

A big thanks to Larry&Loretta and Henry&Margaret for all the work to make this rally happen. Sheila and I had a great time.

To my fellow attendees, I hope to see down the road somewhere over the summer.

Terry's banana split makes this a good old time RV Forum Rally.

ken

Attachments

• P1030983.JPG
    P1030983.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 38
  • P1030986.JPG
    P1030986.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 45
  • P1030981.JPG
    P1030981.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 38
Well, it has certainly been an exciting rally here in Palo Duro.  Weather has been a big factor in what
we have done.  However; we have pressed forward and have had a great time all week.  We certainly
have eaten well and laughed a LOT!  That's why we all came!!

I want to thank a LOT of people.  Certainly first all of you who made it to Palo Duro.  We know life happens
sometimes, and things get in the way, but we appreciate you getting here.  Secondly I want to thank my
co-conspirators Henry & Margaret Wishard and Frank & Barb Weimert.  Henry's catfish will be legend before
long and Barb took care of many details that Henry & I forgot to attend to.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Also a BIG shout out and thanks to Betty Brewer who we have dubbed "Lois Lane", for reporting all our crazy
activity on the RV Forum.  We know a lot of folks couldn't make the run and we want to share our fun with you
wherever you are. 

Also a big shout out to Charles & Robin  and to Allen & Suzanne, both first time rally attendees who bravely
came to our party, not knowing anyone, and both contributed mightily to the fun.  We love making new friends
and hope they felt welcome. 

So, we all are going step back and enjoy a little 'down time' and begin looking at next year.  So....  Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom