Plugged Fresh Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodhooks

Hi all. I have a fresh water tank that seems to be plugged with bacteria. Has anyone had to deal with this? The previous owners left water in the tank for a few years and Bacteria grew inside the tank. I need help and thanks.

1999 Carriage Cameo 28' FW

If there was enough bacterial growth to plug the tank, I don't think I would want to risk using it.  Some fresh water tanks aren't too difficult to get to.  In my class 'C', it's under the bed and just lifting the bed gives good access.  It might not be too difficult to just change it out.  Of course, you'll still have a lot of disinfecting of the fresh water lines to do.

You might try using an enzyme septic tank product like Roebic.  You'll have to get a good shot of it in the tank and then let it sit for several days before trying to drain.

good luck

rick

Thanks Guys. A new tank is $250 at least so I will do the next best thing. Take the tank out of the camper and spray it out best I can and disinfect and sanitize with bleach. It is reallly Really really blocked up bad!!! I hope I will be able to clean it out. I'll keep you posted.

A new tank might cost $250 from some sources, but I just did a quickie check on PPL and it's much less than that.  Of course, I don't know what size your tank is, but PPL has a 42 gal tank for $99.  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/pumps-rv-pumps-water-filters-fixtures.htm

nickwinterkusa said:
Thanks Guys. A new tank is $250 at least so I will do the next best thing. Take the tank out of the camper and spray it out best I can and disinfect and sanitize with bleach. It is reallly Really really blocked up bad!!! I hope I will be able to clean it out. I'll keep you posted.

Try a pressure washer and several treatments of strong bleach solution. Or split for $250.  Do remember to run sanitizing solution thru the plumbing system after you hook it up again.  The whole system -- pump, accumulator tank, piping, faucets, and hot water tank are likely contaminated.

You need to sanitize your water system. Ought to do that at least once a year anyway.  There is an article in the Forum Library on "how to".

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110:water-system-sanitizing&catid=42:fresh-water-systems&Itemid=45

I finally got the tank out of the camper. Uh, but now I can't get the growth from inside the tank out. There is only a little growth on the walls of the tank and swishing water around doesn't work. Dish soap and water is currently soaking in the tank but I am doubtful. Ideas?

Soap isn't the answer - you need bleach in the water. And you need to do the entire system, not just the tank. Whatever grows in water (and most of it is harmless) grows everywhere in the water, not just in the tank.

I'm still not clear on what is "clogged" and your comment that there is "only a little growth" suggests that is not the  problem anyway. Does water run out the tank outlet ok?

Well, the outlet was plugged thus I thought there was growth and lots of it.  However, I pulled the tank out and found that there is black crap on the walls of the tank in spots.  I sprayed out the filter and have the tank sitting out back full of water and bleach. It is soaking now. Hopefully tomorrow It will be clean because I am putting the tank in tomorrow regardless.

The black crap is normal stuff in any water tank.  It's best if you never look at the inside of a fresh water tank - it could put you off drinking water forever!  The bleach should do the trick, though. Just make sure to soak the rest of the plumbing as well, or the stuff will grow back in a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom