Poop pyramid troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we downsized from our class A that has a flush system, I bought one of those and used it before putting the trailer away after every trip. I used to use that first, then put about 1/3 tank of water in each waste tank along with a healthy shot of Pam's liquid laundry detergent. I would then dump once home (we had full connections inside the building). After 10 years of use, you could shine a light into the tank and it looked pretty much new after the last dump. The only weakness of the flush tools is that you can't use it on the gray tank. I suggest that you get a Johnny Chock as well since it makes the job so much easier.
1706802828832.png

This works very well. Haven't found a clog that would not bust up.
drain snake attachment for pressure washer

I use a small electric pressure washer with the snake fed through a 90 into the tank. Set up, and clean was usually 40 minutes. No mess, charged $175.00. Cheap camera would show the customer inside the tank.
Have you tried that thing in a home sewer? I have a place in my home main line that gets roots, and every year or two I have it snaked... They say for more $$ they could water blast it, and it would do a better job, or dig it up and repair where the roots enter for about $6,000... I wonder if what they use is the same as this, or something more powerful??
Butch

Some pressure washers only put out 1800 psi pressure and others over 4000 psi. Be careful for that. Ask them what pressures they are using the next time they roto root it.
How far is this tree? Is the option there to cut down the tree and be done with it.

Some pressure washers only put out 1800 psi pressure and others over 4000 psi. Be careful for that. Ask them what pressures they are using the next time they roto root it.
How far is this tree? Is the option there to cut down the tree and be done with it.
The trees (Actually a large hedge) is on my neighbors property, and I don't think he would appreciate me cutting them down.;) ...
Butch

I have a place in my home main line that gets roots, and every year or two I have it snaked...
Butch
Ever since I got a water softener and salt water goes down my drain once a week, no more roots. Consider a cup of salt down the drain weekly, do it late at night so it sits on the root area overnight.

I have a place in my home main line that gets roots, and every year or two I have it snaked..
About ten years ago, we had a blockage in the waste line from our cottage to the septic tank. I knew it was a blockage and not septic related because our motorhome sewage system that joins the same line closer to the septic tank worked fine. When my snake could not break up the clog, I used the inserted length of the snake to determine where the clog was in the line. In less than two hours, not including a hardware store run, I had dug up the spot and found a broken coupling where the contractor that installed the new septic system had tied into the old line from the cottage. Settling of the soft soil versus the undisturbed soil had apparently caused the break, allowing about ten feet of roots to clog the line. After removing the root pack, I cut about 3 feet out of the shifted side of the line and then reinstalled it using two 4" Fernco rubber couplings to allow for the misalignment and any future shifting. The line has been trouble free ever since.

At the end of our last trip for the season, I add 1/2 cup of dawn to each tank and fill them about 1/3 full. The drive home usually agitates things just fine.

Once home I have plastic cup with the bottom cut out and insert it into the toilet to hold the valve open. I just take a garden hose spray nozzle, on the end of a hose, set if for a relatively strong fan spray. Feed the nozzle down thru the toilet into the tank and work it in as far as it will go, back it out and feed it back down again. After doing that about 3 times, I drain the tank and repeat the process.

The second time I drain the tank, it usually comes out clean. The gray tank usually drains clean after pouring two 5 gallon buckets of water down the sink and shower drains..

7 years of use with no problems. ;)

When finished I wash the hose and nozzle in a 5 gallon bucket with a bleach solution, and dispose of my gloves.

Simple cheap and effective.

Safe travels and all the best.

Last edited:
We like to stay at state parks, but many of them do not have full hook ups. The gray water always fills up first no matter how hard we try to conserve. To extend the number of days until we have to dump. We would dump the first ~15 gallons of dish water in the black tank. I started to notice that the additional water really flushed out the solids. So now, even with a full hook up we dump the first 15 gal of dish water as black tank maintenance. We have not had any problems and don't want any either.

Have you tried that thing in a home sewer? I have a place in my home main line that gets roots, and every year or two I have it snaked... They say for more $$ they could water blast it, and it would do a better job, or dig it up and repair where the roots enter for about $6,000... I wonder if what they use is the same as this, or something more powerful??
Butch
Bite the bullet and save the money for the "big" repair.

As a teen we had a bush outside the house and every year we would have to snake and grind the drain pipe from the clean out. The roots were thin and insidious. We took the bush out but that didn't solve everything.

We had clay pipes and they ran under the driveway to the street. We didn't have the proper money to do it right but eventually did. replacing the clay pipes, digging up the drive etc.

If you have clay you could do damage with a pressure washer. Even not clay the roots are getting in somewhere.

When I renewed the septic here at my new place that hadn't been used in over 10 years the connection to the septic tank was loose and deteriorated. I pulled a large hydroponic ecosystem out of the septic tank (not a fun job) and fixed the connection with a new grommet and proper sealing. But I think about it a lot.

Good luck with it.

Butch
Since I use a small PW there is not enough force to actually cut roots. However, when folks on an RV vacation suddenly find the potty backing up are very happy by the time I leave. No mess, no poopy hose to snake in and out of the camper and I do have stories of the really BAD ones!

Bite the bullet and save the money for the "big" repair.

As a teen we had a bush outside the house and every year we would have to snake and grind the drain pipe from the clean out. The roots were thin and insidious. We took the bush out but that didn't solve everything.

We had clay pipes and they ran under the driveway to the street. We didn't have the proper money to do it right but eventually did. replacing the clay pipes, digging up the drive etc.

If you have clay you could do damage with a pressure washer. Even not clay the roots are getting in somewhere.

Good luck with it.
My problem is exactly like that.. Old clay pipes under my concrete driveway... But very deep... Maybe 6'+ deep... And what do I do about the last bit where it ties into the main line in the city's street?... The $6k was to put a liner in from the cleanout to the point of the root intrusion, and just patch the driveway at the two spots... I'm not sure how much digging up the whole thing, and replacing over 1/2 of my driveway would cost... Plus the city street.. Man my house is getting to that age where it needs a lot of work... And I'm getting to that age where I'm not able to do of it myself (Which I always have before)...
Butch

My problem is exactly like that.. Old clay pipes under my concrete driveway..
Fortunately the pipe went almost perpendicular across the drive so it was a 4 foot wide trench X 8 feet or so.

It's hell gettin' old and not being able to do this stuff yourself anymore. $6k is painful but it may last you long enough to not have to worry about it until your done with it.

Hey everyone!

So, last year I believe a small poop pyramid developed in the black tank without me knowing it. When I stored it over the winter, I believe it dried out and became rock hard. I’m also certain there’s toilet paper and probably baby wipes, as I have small kids that don’t always remember the rules. I’ve tried hot water and a few different brands of enzyme solutions and this thing is still rock hard like a stone. Do any of you have suggestions for more hardcore chemicals to dissolve this thing? I’m afraid I’ll have to replace the black tank next year if I’m unsuccessful. I was thinking muriatic acid or something drastic at this point. Thanks for your help!

Alex
Use plenty of water

My problem is exactly like that.. Old clay pipes under my concrete driveway... But very deep... Maybe 6'+ deep... And what do I do about the last bit where it ties into the main line in the city's street?... The $6k was to put a liner in from the cleanout to the point of the root intrusion, and just patch the driveway at the two spots... I'm not sure how much digging up the whole thing, and replacing over 1/2 of my driveway would cost... Plus the city street.. Man my house is getting to that age where it needs a lot of work... And I'm getting to that age where I'm not able to do of it myself (Which I always have before)...
Butch

Why not buy the Camco wand and give it a try? I think it would work and be much cheaper.

@ButchW : I had a root problem in a drain and did want to kill the plant. I ended up pouring copper sulfate down the drain annually. Many root destroying products are available, I think most, if not all, use copper sulfate. I got a brand that was granular and would make a solution to pour and then put dry granules in at a drain to let it act as an ongoing treatment.

I recommend a wooden stick instead of something metal, because a metal end stick could damage the plastic tank on the bottom. A wooden stick, not so much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom