Power rv with solar generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willowflowage

If getting low on power with lead house batteries would it be reasonable to run the camper with solar generator. Use the invertor in it to plug into the 30 amp plug. I only use less than 20-30 amps a night. Most of that is a 30 watt TV. Rest is water pump and some lights. Would it try to charge my house batteries I suppose? It's a 200 amp lithium with a 1500 watt inverter. Get me through the night before solar picks up the next day. Probably a waste of power I'm thinking.

These devices have their place, though calling them solar generators is a bit of a misnomer, these are generally lithium battery packs with an integrated inverter, perhaps marketed with a portable solar panel. Often the sizing of the included panel is so small that it would take several days to fully recharge the battery.

Having said that you would probably be much better off getting a small inverter to power the TV (if you don't already have one), and invest in a Lithium Ion battery instead.

You can get a 100 Ah, 1280 watt hour LiFePo4 battery for under $400, perhaps under $300, but prices have been going up the last few months, which will last for thousands of charge / discharge cycles down to 20% charge level or lower. This would give you around 34 hours of TV watching on a single charge. Then bump it back up to full charge running your generator in just 1 hour using the appropriate size charger.

I have a Ego power generator 3ooo watts. If needed Ihave extra batterys decause of my weedeater.my great blower and soon to be coming a 52in ego zerro turn which can mow 3 acers my solar 300 watt panel x 2 total 600. each battery is 19 amp hour on general is 4

These devices have their place, though calling them solar generators is a bit of a misnomer, these are generally lithium battery packs with an integrated inverter, perhaps marketed with a portable solar panel. Often the sizing of the included panel is so small that it would take several days to fully recharge the battery.

Having said that you would probably be much better off getting a small inverter to power the TV (if you don't already have one), and invest in a Lithium Ion battery instead.

You can get a 100 Ah, 1280 watt hour LiFePo4 battery for under $400, perhaps under $300, but prices have been going up the last few months, which will last for thousands of charge / discharge cycles down to 20% charge level or lower. This would give you around 34 hours of TV watching on a single charge. Then bump it back up to full charge running your generator in just 1 hour using the appropriate size charger.
Actually my "generator" is a dyi battery pack. With 200 amp Lifepo4 with a 1500 watt inverter. Wondering if it would hurt plugging into the RV overnight for supplemental power to my house batteries which are lead and I want to keep at or above 50%. This instead of rewiring a switch at battery box for a transfer of battery banks.

Mixing Lead Acid and LiFePo4 in a single battery bank is most likely a bad idea given their different voltages as the LifePo4 would effectively be trying to charge the lead acids most of the time.

If your lead acid batteries are crapping out with a 20-30Ah draw, then they're shot. The loads you mention are quite tepid. While supplementing the charge with an external pack would "work" you're smashing flies with a hammer, charging one battery with another plus conversion losses. I would review your house battery situation and fix that, rather than band aid it with an expensive gadget.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Actually my "generator" is a dyi battery pack. With 200 amp Lifepo4 with a 1500 watt inverter. Wondering if it would hurt plugging into the RV overnight for supplemental power to my house batteries which are lead and I want to keep at or above 50%.
It wouldn't "hurt" anything but if you simply plug the RV into the generator, then the RV is on pseudo-shore-power. That means the RVs converter/charger will run (same as it does on actual shore power) and charge batteries while also supplying 12v power to the rig. That's inefficient use of the external power, but not harmful to anything. If you don't want to discharge the generator solar batteries doing that, the easiest solution is a battery disconnect switch on the lead-acid batteries.

Mixing Lead Acid and LiFePo4 in a single battery bank is most likely a bad idea given their different voltages as the LifePo4 would effectively be trying to charge the lead acids most of the time.
That's what I suspected. I'll just power what I need separately if the time comes on a cloudy higher energy use stay.

If your lead acid batteries are crapping out with a 20-30Ah draw, then they're shot. The loads you mention are quite tepid. While supplementing the charge with an external pack would "work" you're smashing flies with a hammer, charging one battery with another plus conversion losses. I would review your house battery situation and fix that, rather than band aid it with an expensive gadget.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Good advice. I'll be fine with what I have just looking at additional use of my lithium. It does not seem to be a bright idea to invert the juice to ac.

It wouldn't "hurt" anything but if you simply plug the RV into the generator, then the RV is on pseudo-shore-power. That means the RVs converter/charger will run (same as it does on actual shore power) and charge batteries while also supplying 12v power to the rig. That's inefficient use of the external power, but not harmful to anything. If you don't want to discharge the generator solar batteries doing that, the easiest solution is a battery disconnect switch on the lead-acid batteries.
Thanks exactly the confirmation I was wondering about. More of a curious thought if it would be ok but realizing it's a waste of power. The new battery will be replacing the old some day but it keeps on plugging along. Probably swap out at the end of this season. The two 6v excisting leads have worked very well while I keep them at or above 50 percent. I think I'll use my new battery to charge my accumulation of small devices. Mainly 18v tool batteries for chain saw,fans,lights, vacuum,radio, and the like. Real luxury stuff! This pack allows me more freedom in shady spots to charge away from my camp site.

Actually my "generator" is a dyi battery pack. With 200 amp Lifepo4 with a 1500 watt inverter. Wondering if it would hurt plugging into the RV overnight for supplemental power to my house batteries which are lead and I want to keep at or above 50%. This instead of rewiring a switch at battery box for a transfer of battery banks.
You can certainly do that! I assume your house batteries are AGM, in which case you will want to keep them above the 50% SOC mark. Having the backup electric generator charged and ready to provide backup power is a good stop-gap.
Our Grid Point power enclosures are drop-in ready, so are designed to connect through the vehicle's 30A shore power cord. It's a simple way of integrating a large amount of power without a custom install.

Back
Top Bottom