Prepping for Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hank25260 said:
Since my husband is a medic for 26 years and had been through sandy and went down to help right after katrina. Since they train extensively for a chemical emergency's use of mark 1 kits etc ebola and anything else and he has had training at the Baltimore swat training site by the government. Which he would not tell you when he posted. mre's and Water proof matches, something to clean your water Ie berkey or a water straw, candy etc. a chemical book so you can read the hazards on trucks etc. if they are leaking. Some things are heavier than air. Common sense items not The ambulance had two flats during sandy and if Not for a very well prepared since the storm took out two new tires when items were on the road. Two cans later and a pump made the difference for being out of service. Which made the difference. Which when a tree fell on someone who didn't stay inside for a silly item in their car. My husband has a job because people do silly things. like leave a car on the road in the way or better yet not even move for the ambulance etc. Anything we would want or need we either already have or can get really easy. Bunker gear and many other items other items we have. The bolt cutters are good to have for many reasons.  I can give you the list a million miles long. If your planning to bug out you will need to pick and choose what you want. Anything from canned butter to kepeg. Best thing is to be low key and fit in. Have something to protect yourself first and foremost and train with it.A  silly hurricane can get really ugly when there is no water.  It all depends on what you plan for.  Maps for if with markings of important things hospitals, food, gas pipelines and nuclear plants etc. want you may want or need or to steer clear off. Just because a nuclear plant goes into hurricane mode mark your map 50 miles min.Btw  I really hate grey poupon. Bug out bag as some call them but a bag with clothes and essential's should be kept ready for just a simple thing like  a tanker truck with a hazard in the neighborhood that you need to be evacuated with your say two year old in less than two minutes. Those PJ's. snack etc. is the best thing you can have.  For some of us though we like our dessert. ;D This is how our lifestyle is not just in times of disasters. It's kinda like being a boyscout you always need to live prepared as some say.
Your husband and I crossed paths many times. He is the front line responder, I'm in the back as part of logistical support.
I am always amazed at the tireless and selfless commitment the people like your husband do. So a big THANK YOU to you both!

cadee2c said:
Honestly, I would not want to live in a world where I had to fight to the death over water.

Even if it meant the life or death of your child?  I think you would look t it a little differently if confronted in a life or death situation.

We aren't full-timers, so if there was a chance of a hurricane we would just pick up and move at the earliest hint (not 6 hours before landfall!). For tornados, there isn't much you can do except be lucky. For floods, you watch the weather and hope you are also lucky. However we live (and frequently camp) in earthquake country, so we prepare for a week "shelter in place". The minimum amount of time is 3 days, but we just feel it is safer to be ready for a longer time. After a week, the roads that can be opened will be opened. We keep the travel trailer with water in the tanks and a number of staples in it. At the S&B home we also prepare for a 2-3 week no-water period if we had an issue with potable water. There is a lot of petroleum in our area, and I am concerned about water contamination. We keep 200 gallons in the basement in storage containers, just in case.

Katrina there was fighting over water the first day. People died waiting for things. So fighting over water if things ever get bad it will happen.

As far as survival. We live suburban and actively looking to move even more rural. If you live like your grandparents did with food stocked etc. it is a lifestyle. Range time for my 26, 20 year old is normal.

I have my own business at home while my embroidery machine is running. I have read every blog and all  you can imagine for eight years. All the ems staff that works with my husband live this lifestyle. Deer hunting, training etc. is a normal part of life. We have a friend who has lived this lifestyle when it was unheard of. I was probably. 12 or thirteen when he was scoutmaster with my dad and brothers. Funny thing was I never thought he was odd. I think even less he was a smart man way ahead of his time.

Dan I am sure you may have crossed his path. He was chief for years. When we had our last child eight years ago. He had his best friend take his position and he moved to assistant. So we could spend a good bit of time with our son and older kids. Thank you for all your support. We all know it takes many people to make it all work.

Never thought about fighting over potable water in an extreme disaster.
Perhaps one of these should be in your arsenal for those living in vulnerable areas.
I have a cheaper version for bike touring, backpacking and camping.

I wasn't in an RV, but I was living in Brooklyn when Sandy came.  Within 24 hours of her anticipated arrival, they had shut down all the bridges and tunnels.  I very much doubt ferries were running, either.  Family was calling me suggesting I consider leaving the city.  I told them I couldn't even if I was to try.

For the record, my neighborhood fared well.  I only lost my cable.  Oh, a severed tree branch crushed the roof of my pickup truck.  Subway lines stayed down for a while after that.

Also of note, I was impressed with how people most people coped in the aftermath.  Those with power and water and such, shared it, for free.  They ran extension cords out of their places into the street so people could charge cell phones.  I didn't hear of any looting, gangs running wild in the street, etc, while there certainly was opportunity for such antics.  There was a police presence, but they were concentrated into areas of the city that were hit hardest, and I suppose most susceptible.  But that led me to observe in my neighborhood hardly any police presence at all, which is unusual.  Except, of course, some lone bitter meter maid or something that ticketed my pickup with the crushed roof for having an "improperly displayed license plate", which was hanging crooked by one nut.  The hardest thing was finding gasoline, which I needed for my work vehicle.  There were some fights that broke out in lines at filling stations. 

I have attempted to prepare the disaster most likely to happen in my area, an earthquake.  ( I live in Ca.,.... not Oklahoma )

we try to always have a full tank of water, propane, gasoline and several good fire extinguishers..  I have some food, cash, first aid stuff and a gun.
I am going to get a CB radio. so I can get in touch with family.

from Army survival training item # 1 is water.

Every morning my wife and I turn on the local news to hear about a new water main break....  I can only imagine what will happen when we actually have a big quake.

I was reading through this ..http://lacoa.org/pdf/emergencysurvivalguide-lowres.pdf    I realized I overlooked an important survival item....'medications'

Medications are something people don't think about often. My husband wouldnt live more than a few days if he ran out of some of his meds. He's in good shape though. Hes changing from private insurance to VA medical care. They sent him 3 months worth of meds the same week his old insurance sent their 3 months supplies.  ??? We could make a fortune if there was a black market for Old Man Pills... furosemide anyone?  ;D

Emergency Management has been my life for over a quarter century but rather than typing yet another article I will share some great links:

https://www.ready.gov

http://www.floridadisaster.org/index.asp

http://www.beready.af.mil

TonyDtorch said:
I am going to get a CB radio. so I can get in touch with family.

Tony, you might want to look into ham radio instead of cb. The range on a cb is only a few miles where the ham radio is arguably unlimited due to repeaters. You do have to pass a test to get a license, but it's pretty easy.

I was under the impression a proper Ham antenna is not really motorhome friendly. 

I figured a relay network of CB to HAMs would be quickly set up.

'

Not sure about the MH antenna situation. We have one on our truck and it works fine, antenna is fitted to a mount on the hood and is about 4 feet long. Or you could use a hand held radio, as long as there is line of sight to a repeater, it will work fine.

TonyDtorch said:
I was under the impression a proper Ham antenna is not really motorhome friendly. 

I figured a relay network of CB to HAMs would be quickly set up.

A proper antenna for a RV for VHF/UHF can be as short as 12" as is on my MH.  It works great and has been up there for over 15 years.  I'm not sure as to the brand but it is either Comet or Diamond.  These are available at most if not all Ham stores.  For the low bands, I previously mentioned the Tarheel screwdriver antenna and a tip up mount.  A friend of mine introduced me to the Shakespeare Marine antennas and they work well but need a stronger tip up mechanism than the Tarheel one.  If you have access to a machine shop, I think I may still somewhere have the original drawings.  Not sure though as I had loaned them out and moved about the time I should have gotten them back.  I will look as I may have sent them to someone via email about 10 or so years ago.

Further, the marine antenna laid flat above the roof of the RV, a less than a foot but at least 4" or so can make a good antenna for local to about 400 mile communication, NVIS.

A tie between CB and Ham will probably occur in the Emergency center and not be too useful to a particular individual.  At least that has been my experience when on emergency situations like earthquakes and train wrecks.  I was normally either at the site of the incident or a hospital so may not have had a good overview of things.

I am an accomplished marksman and hunter, and woodsman.  I would have one of each variety of firearm.  Food would not be a problem.

Last time I went camping, a guy was parking his trailer.  He forgot the key at home that unlocked the padlock that would release his trailer.  OOPSIES!  So, we were stuck waiting for this guy (who was BEGGING for bolt cutters) to clear the driveway so we could get to our assigned spot.  I had every other imaginable tool in my kit but no bolt cutters.  He eventually beat the pad lock to death with a big hammer.

Maybe someday it will pay off for carrying around a machine shop with die grinders/cut off wheel, air tools and a welder.  I know I like having my hardware store/workshop with me.

The cases of MRE's might come in handy also

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom