Prepping for Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I carry a fair amount of tools when we're camping (no ukuleles though) but I have to admit that it was nice having you near us when we were at Quartzsite Bill. Kinda like having a service station, Home Depot and lounge nearby. :D

Kev

Our MH stays stocked. The house is stocked. All the cars and truck, MH and motorcycle have full tanks of fuel when parked at home. Have a 55 gal drum of gas beside the shed. Have complete bug out bags for me, and for the wife. I have a small back pack that I take with me every where I go. It's my Get Home Bag. A generator for the house. Plus some other stuff that I'm forgetting. The reason why?  Where I live at. The southwestern corner of Pa. on the Mon River. We get some freaky weather. Have been without power because of ice storms, snow storms, high winds, lighting, floods. Been without water because of floods, ice jams, drought.

I retired from a power plant this year. Was a Control Room Operator. The main man running the plant on shift. You people don't know how fragile our electrical grid real is.  :eek:  Last year alone. I must have gotten 20 plus e-mails from PJM, the grid operator, on solar flares. One good solar flare, and we are back to horse and buggy. I've seen the grid voltage go wild at times. If the  big transformers go bad. It will takes months maybe years before they get replaced. Ours was made in Turkey. So go figure. 

I travel pretty much prepped out for disaster.

One thing many RV-ers may not realize is that many RV parks and camps are built in flood plane zones, the theory being you can move out quickly. So pay attention when camping near rivers and lakes. I was at one camp that had a sign post taller than me and it was marking how high the river had flooded before, which their highest mark was nearly 9 feet!

I spent a few decades living in far flung ports where disasters stuck, so being prepared for the before, during and aftermath to me is important. It also comes in handy for other reasons.

I keep my gas tank topped up before I camp, so if I am leaving in an emergency, I don't have to wait in line at a gas station. Also this is super handy for any electrical outages, I already have a full tank of gas for the generator. What's the use of having a generator if you have no gas to supply it?

I travel with nearly full water tanks. I have broken down before on a hot humid day and it was nice to be able to flush the toilet, make lunch, wash dishes and so on. Also when arriving at camp, if dead tired, it's nice to not have to deal with the water hookups right away, it can wait. Also campgrounds have to make repairs and sometimes their water is turned off and it's nice to have that tank load of water ready.

I have a pantry full of canned goods and extra foods like rice and pasta. Most of these I bought on discounted sale and added to the pantry. Also have dried beans on hand. A small pile of dried beans can feed one a long time. Combined with corn (from a can) or rice, or cheese,  it makes a complete protein. This extra pantry food has come in handy so many times. I don't travel with a car, so I am able to be super flexible about my length of stay in remote camps. I once ate out of my pantry for over a month without shopping and was astonished at how much I still had leftover. Maybe it's because I love a wide variety.

My first aid kit keeps getting bigger. I have a remedy for just about anything now. I also save leftover pain medications, you just never know when you might have something overwhelming happen.

Allimax is non prescription and makes a terrific antibiotic without side effects. I have it in all three methods including capsules,  liquid and paste form too. Matter of fact the liquid Allimax saved my ear. I had the most painful horrible ear infection and Allimax liquid cleared it up in short order. Honey is a great antibiotic type treatment for wounds, though the pricey medical grade honey (from New Zealand) is the most effective, I found regular honey works too, just takes longer.

Batteries... I buy big packages of sturdy batteries since I do have flashlights and items that use them. I try to limit my type of battery  uses, but still... I end up with D's, AA, AAA and 9volts. So far I have escaped needing C's.

Also I have portable solar lights, which are super useful. I wish I had a solar panel, it's on the list, but don't have one yet. The solar lights are super useful, some are motion activated, so it conserves battery life. I have also used them for security reasons when camping. Like a motion solar light that comes on if anyone approaches my camp or locked bicycle at night etc. Mostly it startles wildlife and keeps the raccoons away.

Stash extra garbage bags! In the event of an emergency, you want to be able to bag up the mess, if you have no extra bags, heaven help ya.

I have a powerful battery operated spotlight which can come in handy for a disaster or emergency at night.

One of my best disaster pieces of equipment I use daily too, is a Berkey water purifier. It requires no electricity and no water pressure. It can purify river or lake or rain water as well as out of the tap water. Awesome taste. I love it. The filters last between 6,000 and 30,000 gallons depending on water quality and some camps serve up some truly awful water that slows down the purifier to a drip, but I keep carafes of already purified water on hand, which I top up daily from the purifier. The filters can be removed and scrubbed with a brush, rinsed and reused over and over.

I stayed in a place with stinky water, it smelled awful! But the purifier removed all the stink and it tasted wonderful.

Pet food... I carry lots of extra pet food with me so the pooch need not worry. Matter of fact, I typically keep him a 2-3 month stock around.

Bug stuff... I travel with lots of assorted bug repellents and bug and ant killers etc. Disasters seem to to bring on the bugs.

Massachusetts and Connecticut lost power for a little over a week when an early snowstorm hit and leaves were still on the trees.  A WalMart in the next town over had power because that part of grid is fed off a small waterfall.  The WalMart shelves were WIPED out.  There were some gas stations near us that were running on generator power.  There were lines for gas and people were getting testy. 

I need to get better prepped.  I have well water and need to be able to pump water.  Hunting in my area may not be productive because there are so many hunters that stocks may get quickly depleted.

OBX said:
Massachusetts and Connecticut lost power for a little over a week when an early snowstorm hit and leaves were still on the trees.  A WalMart in the next town over had power because that part of grid is fed off a small waterfall.  The WalMart shelves were WIPED out.  There were some gas stations near us that were running on generator power.  There were lines for gas and people were getting testy. 

I need to get better prepped.  I have well water and need to be able to pump water.  Hunting in my area may not be productive because there are so many hunters that stocks may get quickly depleted.

Depends on how hungry you get :) ;)  I don't like squirrel or possum or turtle but my grandpa did.  Also funky mushrooms.  Seagulls would be on my rather starve list. :p

HueyPilotVN said:
Maybe someday it will pay off for carrying around a machine shop with die grinders/cut off wheel, air tools and a welder.  I know I like having my hardware store/workshop with me.

The cases of MRE's might come in handy also

Me Too !

I carry enough Tools & Hardware stuff to "DARE" anything to go wrong !
Still have my VN, P-38 (can opener) on my key ring too. Amazing little tool right there.
C-Rat's, MRE's and some Sterno.. still remember a lot of my S.E.E.R school stuff too.
I KNOW.. if anything went Dinki-Dou.. the Wife & I could Make It

Joe

BIG JOE said:
Me Too !

I carry enough Tools & Hardware stuff to "DARE" anything to go wrong !
Still have my VN, P-38 (can opener) on my key ring too. Amazing little tool right there.
C-Rat's, MRE's and some Sterno.. still remember a lot of my S.E.E.R school stuff too.
I KNOW.. if anything went Dinki-Dou.. the Wife & I could Make It

Joe
I remember SERE training, and I've eaten my share of C-rats., there was some good ones and some bad ones,  but the new guys say the MREs are much better and you don't need a sterno can to get a hot meal.

and they get real candy...not those horrible saltpeter laced dark chocolate bars

TonyDtorch said:
I remember SERE training, and I've eaten my share of C-rats., there was some good ones and some bad ones,  but the new guys say the MREs are much better and you don't need a sterno can to get a hot meal.
C4 heated C-rations quicker than heat tabs or sterno.  You just had to remember not to try and stomp out the fire when you are done cooking.  :)

TonyDtorch said:

and they get real candy...not those horrible saltpeter laced dark chocolate bars

As I remember.. If you eat the chocolate bar with the John Wayne cookie, and a little of the instant coffee sprinkled on.. it was purdy tasty.  :) ;)

I was guna say C-4 for heating a meal.. but that was against the rules ;D. The manifold of my Weapons Carrier, did the trick too.

Back
Top Bottom