Propane alarm keeps beeping while traveling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjae

Hi, New to the site.  Hope someone might help me...We have a 2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow.  When the slides are in the kitchen slide goes up next to the propane detector on the floor.  After about 20-30 miles it starts to beep, then shuts off.  Maybe 10 seconds, maybe a minute or two.  We had the propane system tested several times, and there are no leaks.  I was told possibly while traveling on the road the refridge shuts off & restarts.  I dont know.  If we shut the tank off while traveling there is no problem.  Already been to two dealers and spent $400 and no surefire answer....any suggestions?  THanks, Cjae

Hi and welcome to the RV Forum.

If turning off the propane tank eliminates the alarm, then that would seem to indicate there really is a propane leak that is being detected. It may be that when the galley slide comes in, the propane hose to the stove (is the fridge in that slide as well?) gets pulled or twisted enough to leak a bit.

Check the 12V wiring and ground to the propane detector. Sounlds like you may have an intermittent contact in the wiring and the bouncing while moving cause the contact to make and break. Could even be a broken wire where the ends touch and separate. The alarm will normally beep for a few seconds when ever it is first energized.

Being an '04 model,if it's the factory detector it probably has out lived its life.Mine is stamped to replace every 5 years. Also have any pets? The dander will set them off too.

You could have either a propane leak or a detector on the fritz.  Get your self a portable gas detector and use it to check the installed unit the next time the installed alarm triggers.  If  the portable confirms the alarm  then you have a gas leak  Use the portable to chase the leak.  If the portable does not confirm the installed unit then replace the installed unit. 

A portable detector can be bought HERE.

jetboater454 said:
Also have any pets? The dander will set them off too.

Dander, heck.  Dogs "methane" has been known to set them off if they are laying about anywhere in the vacinity..... :mad:

Daisy

When my MH batteries get near zero (totaly discharged, yes I know thats not good for them) My propane alarm goes off.  Problem solved when I got new batteries.
And I'm also going to replace alarm as it is a 2001 model.

Mine would beep like that every once in a while. There is a small LED that was very hard to see that blinked with a low voltage code. It turned out to be a loose fuse conector for the radio. I just pinched it with some pliers and all is well now.
BTW thats not where the panel lables said it was hooked, they had just hooked it to that wire as it was close to the sensor.

My propane alarm went off screeching when I was driving down the highway. I had just been through a snarl and was now coming up to speed.  I pulled over immediately, calling 911,  thinking it was the fire alarm.  I prepared to do battle, as right before the propane alarm went off, I smelled something funny, then saw a poof of smoke at the same time the alarm sounded.

The fire department showed up, I told them how embarrassed I was that there was odor, then smoke, then alarm, but I could find no fire.

By then I had discovered it was the propane alarm and not the fire alarm that went off. The fire department's heat sensors determined super hot heat at my front right tire and suggested the brake calipers might have stuck while I was in the traffic snarl. Sure enough, a tow to a repair shop, and I had a stuck brake caliper. The propane tank was behind the front right tire, when it sensed the increase in heat near the tank, it set the propane alarm off.

I had no idea the propane alarms were set to go off if your propane tank became hot, but mine sure did.

If yours is just beeping, well mine beeps a few times, when I first turn mine on.  Mine is generally on all the time, but I tend to knock it off by accident, when I am sweeping, (mine is close to the floor) or if the 24/7 blinking light is annoying me and I'm not using propane. Anyhow, that almost sounds like a wire jiggling loose that is making it turn itself back on again, then it beeps like mine does when it first starts up.

If you're only going down the road for a few short hours, you can leave the propane off, and the fridge doors firmly shut and not use the propane fridge at all. A penny pinching friend taught me this. I keep a thermometer in my fridge, I have left it off for hours, without opening the door, only to find the temperature barely changed at all. Mainly, I have left my fridge off, when I've parked at an angle, (less than level)  somewhere to go shopping or go visiting. (Fridges like to be level when they are running!)

The heat
DearMissMermaid said:
By then I had discovered it was the propane alarm and not the fire alarm that went off. The fire department's heat sensors determined super hot heat at my front right tire and suggested the brake calipers might have stuck while I was in the traffic snarl. Sure enough, a tow to a repair shop, and I had a stuck brake caliper. The propane tank was behind the front right tire, when it sensed the increase in heat near the tank, it set the propane alarm off.

I had no idea the propane alarms were set to go off if your propane tank became hot, but mine sure did.

Since you said the location of the propane tank was close to the wheel with the stuck calipers, I would suspect that the heat caused the propane pressure to increase and blow the relief valve, which in turn released propane and the alarm sensed this release. You are indeed lucky that propane, as it was released did not ignite.

I am not sure the valve blew, I had plenty of propane when I went to camp. The tank is on the outside, the alarm was by the side door to the motorhome on the inside, just seems to me I would have lost all of my propane not just a tiny bit. Not sure how the relief valve could close itself again, without human intervention.

Definitely food for thought... 

I would hope these motorhomes aren't built to blow up so easily!  It's a Fleetwood, not a fly-by-nighter who set up shop one week, closed the next.

Our first MYSTERY alarm sounding was because of Insect repellant applied inside next to the sensor unit........ second time was because the wife sprayed air freshner in the area...... those little things can be quite sensitive........

BB

I was using Spray adhesive and it sent the alarm off. Also OFF bug spray, applied outside,  too close to the screen door sent the alarm off.  The air fresheners  will send the alarm off too and are only a temporary solution if you have funny odors.

I bought a small electric air sanitizer that kills germs and odors, http://tinyurl.com/3lnn2x2 no funky smells ever, since I bought it.  I love it and it doesn't set the propane alarm off either.  ;D

[quote author=Chet18013]... there was a big deal about a company that had used propane as the propellant for an oven cleaner[/quote]

Was that for gas ovens too Chet?  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom