Propane Regulator Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drizzamed

Full time living about 1.5 years now in our toy hauler (in Texas) and we received a recall notice on a popular propane regulator (winntec 6020 autoswitch). I anticipate that our dealer will not just mail me the replacement (or I go get it) and it isn't feasible to disconnect and prep and haul it to the dealer an hour away for a 15 min fix for a $100 propane (or less) regulator. I'm trying to determine what size regulator I need to get. Furnace rarely used in winter (fireplace is sufficient so far). On demand water heater and stove primarily take up the propane usage. We go through a 30 lb tank in about 3 months maybe a hair less. Any auto changeover propane regulator recommendations that will suit our use or btu size recommendations? I found conflicting information on the winntec btu rating so I'll trust you pros on here!

The btu rating shouldn't be super-critical - any typical rv-use regulator ought to work fine. The only time gas volume (flow) gets really high is if the furnace(s) and water heater are both burning at the same time. I think the typical two-stage rv regulator is around 200k-250k btus, but some "high capacity" models are rated to 500k or more and they prices aren't much different. And you can only get so much gas thru a 3/8" tube at 0.5 psi anyway. Single appliance demands are in the 10k-40k btu range, so it is doubtful your higest total demand exceeds 125k.

Here's a high capacity model on etrailer for under $50.

The btu rating shouldn't be super-critical - any typical rv-use regulator ought to work fine. The only time gas volume (flow) gets really high is if the furnace(s) and water heater are both burning at the same time. I think the typical two-stage rv regulator is around 200k-250k btus, but some "high capacity" models are rated to 500k or more and they prices aren't much different. And you can only get so much gas thru a 3/8" tube at 0.5 psi anyway. Single appliance demands are in the 10k-40k btu range, so it is doubtful your higest total demand exceeds 125k.

Here's a high capacity model on etrailer for under $50.
Thank you so much! Some good info and I learned just a little bit more! Will be getting the regulator.

Note flow rating is color coded by the color of the nut, base level is black nut is BBQ grill 70KBTU, Green is RV up to 200KBTU

Last edited:
The MB Sturgis that Gary recommended is fine. I always recommend the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253P Reg 2-Stage Auto Vert Packaged as it is USA manufactured and of very good quality. The one I linked to is the 200K BTU model (or somewhere therabouts) and has the reverse flare fittings already installed. The holes on the back are unthreaded and designed to use a self threading machine screw, probably what is in the one you have now. There is a plastic cover, that if I recall correctly, is a DOT requirement (not sure why) Marshall Excelsior MEGR-862 Regulator Cover 2 Stage for MEGR-291 298 and 253 Series RV Parts

Same regulator with 15 inch pigtail hoses

PLEASE discontinue use of the existing WinnTech regulator as it is dangerous. Recall Discussed HERE including photographs of the result of fires caused by it.

If the recall applies to your trailer, (which it should) there is a requirement to test the pressure setting of the new regulator and perform a leak test, so no, they would not just hand you a regulator. The recall included the pigtail hoses due to issues with them also.

Charles

Last edited:
The MB Sturgis that Gary recommended is fine. I always recommend the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253P Reg 2-Stage Auto Vert Packaged as it is USA manufactured and of very good quality. The one I linked to is the 200K BTU model (or somewhere therabouts) and has the reverse flare fittings already installed. The holes on the back are unthreaded and designed to use a self threading machine screw, probably what is in the one you have now. There is a plastic cover, that if I recall correctly, is a DOT requirement (not sure why) Marshall Excelsior MEGR-862 Regulator Cover 2 Stage for MEGR-291 298 and 253 Series RV Parts

Same regulator with 15 inch pigtail hoses

PLEASE discontinue use of the existing WinnTech regulator as it is dangerous. Recall Discussed HERE including photographs of the result of fires caused by it.

If the recall applies to your trailer, (which it should) there is a requirement to test the pressure setting of the new regulator and perform a leak test, so no, they would not just hand you a regulator. The recall included the pigtail hoses due to issues with them also.

Charles
I just received an email from KZ and they are shipping me a replacement regulator directly. The recall letter only mentions the regulator itself and does not mention the pigtails but I'll inquire. I wasn't using factory pigtails anyways. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom