propane tank adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vandovjv

We typically stay at a remote location where getting our propane tank refilled involves a 70 mile round trip.  I have considered purchasing the extend a stay adapter which can be installed between the on board tank and the regulater.  On my MH, there is not sufficient space to do this.  I am wondering if it would be OK to put a tee in a more accesable location and then attacach a 10 gallon tank with  its own regulater.  This would be easy at  the access points to the water heater or the refrigerator but I don't know if it would work.  Please give your opinion or experience. Thanks

The Extend-a-stay is way more than a "T" fitting.  However there are very few rigs where there is not enough room

There are MANY rigs where it APPEARS there is not enough room however

A photo of the tank outlet/regulator area please and we can show you what we mean.

The regulators all produce the same low pressure, so the short answer is yes, you can use a tank with its own regulator to feed into the RV system downstream from the RV's own regulator. Results will be the same. The danger is that someone may mistakenly hook up an unregulated tank there. That would get real exciting when a burner lit off! Think "blow torch"!

Usually you can shift the existing regulator over enough to make room for the Extend-a-stay. Isn't there a flex hose somewhere to the downstream side of the regulator, so that you can move things around a bit?  Or perhaps a section of pipe that can be removed and replaced with a shorter one? You can get black iron pipe used for gas lines at LP gas dealers or places like Lowes & Home Depot. Many hardware stores too.

Although my rig is old, and I reside in it full time, I installed a extend a stay last fall. I then a had a local propane dealer drop a 100 gal. tank. The extend a stay works excellent ,as I do not as use my onboard.(It is full and keep if for reserve). These extend a stay are easily installed and can be used for 20,30,40,100, or larger tanks as I`m now using.100gallon. SUGGESTION ABOUT PROPER HOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a local hydraulic shop make me up a 3/8 high pressure hose of 20`(oil and fuel resistant). Although I may have paid a few $`s more it ? I`ll never have to worry of leakage, and it` easy to store.

RV Roamer said:
The regulators all produce the same low pressure, so the short answer is yes, you can use a tank with its own regulator to feed into the RV system downstream from the RV's own regulator. Results will be the same. The danger is that someone may mistakenly hook up an unregulated tank there. That would get real exciting when a burner lit off! Think "blow torch"!

Last winter we had a camper who tried to use a tank with it's own regulator.. Did not work well.

Now, there is a lot more to it.. and I'd rather not get too much into her installation but the propane store put in a standard "T" fitting (not an Extend-a-stay) Between the tank and the regulator, NONE of the Extend-a-stay's built in safety devices, very dangerous install ijn my opinion.

Well, she needed to replace the tank hook up and it took forever to convince the idiots at the hardware that she needed high pressure to that T not regulated.

This is why I'm so big on the proper Extend-a-stay device and not just a "T" fitting, I'd hate to see a rig go BOOM in the night due to the lack of a check valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom