Quartzsite RVForum 2008 Rally - Info/SignUp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claude said:
there are chances that we will be at the  2008  QZS rally.

Wise

Hello Wise -- let us know when you know for sure and I will post your name as planning to attend. We hope you can make it. :)

We haven't had a toad with us anytime we've gone to Quartzsite. We used our bicycles (you miss a LOT of traffic that way) and we hitched with other folks who were going in. The back road that gets you real close to the big tent is hard packed and unless it rains (crossing fingers against) it's easy for anything.

See you in January
Wendy

wendycoke said:
We haven't had a toad with us anytime we've gone to Quartzsite. We used our bicycles (you miss a LOT of traffic that way) and we hitched with other folks who were going in. The back road that gets you real close to the big tent is hard packed and unless it rains (crossing fingers against) it's easy for anything.

See you in January
Wendy
you and mike can always call steve,s margaritaville taxi in quartzsite, and for the wash i have not seen water in them yet and would like to see it once. steve

slumbert55 said:
i have not seen water in them yet and would like to see it once. steve

Were you there in 2005? I took the attached pictures during my visit in the winter of 2005. The rains can come up fast and dump enough water in the washes to carry a 4X4 half way to Parker. Suggest never getting into one of the washes such as Tyson thinking they never fill with water. :)

My location was on Kuehn just West of I95.

Attachments

• KuehnWestOf95.jpg
    KuehnWestOf95.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 39
  • ShowEntranceFrmKuehn.jpg
    ShowEntranceFrmKuehn.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 29
  • EyeTenFrmKuehnSth.jpg
    EyeTenFrmKuehnSth.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 30
  • TysonWashQMtn.jpg
    TysonWashQMtn.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 33
Bob Buchanan said:
The rains can come up fast and dump enough water in the washes to carry a 4X4 half way to Parker. Suggest never getting into one of the washes such as Tyson thinking they never fill with water. :)
thanx for the pic they are cool, and yes i will stay out of the washes when wet. as you know it was dry last winter, but was the coldest in 20 yrs. so it should be warmer this year, and i liked last year, but I've lived in mi. all my life

slumbert55 said:
thanx for the pic they are cool, and yes i will stay out of the washes when wet. as you know it was dry last winter, but was the coldest in 20 yrs. so it should be warmer this year, and i liked last year, but I've lived in mi. all my life

Yes, Steve, I recall it being cold in early January. Fortunately, as our rally got underway it got warmer each day. The last Saturday and the day of our pot luck was about as fine as it ever gets in QZ.  Clear, warm, and no wind. I like to stay on after the rally with others that hate to leave -- and that great weather lingered on as well. Great evenings around Bob's fire ring . . . under AZ stars.  :)

Bob Buchanan said:
Yes, Steve, I recall it being cold in early January. Fortunately, as our rally got underway it got warmer each day. The last Saturday and the day of our pot luck was about as fine as it ever gets in QZ.  Clear, warm, and no wind. I like to stay on after the rally with others that hate to leave -- and that great weather lingered on as well. Great evenings around Bob's fire ring . . . under AZ stars.  :)
yes the az stars and the weather is enough to keep me comming back.

i will stay out of the washes when wet.

And I would add for those who have not spent much time in the desert - even when it's EXPECTED to be wet, be doubly careful.  You don't want to get caught in a gully washer caused by rain 20 or 30 miles upstream.

ArdraF

And just because it's not raining where you are, if it's raining up the washes, up in the mountains, miles and miles away, you better watch for flooding. It's usually not the rain where you are, it's the rain somewhere else that's gonna get you.

Wendy
p.s. Ardra, please tell me the weather there is lovely.

Well the Midwest is catching up with autumn, the forecast for tonight in Elkhart is mid-high thirties with a light frost. 8)

p.s. Ardra, please tell me the weather there is lovely.

Wendy, it's just delightful.  About 79 degrees with humidity under 15 percent I'd guesstimate.  Jerry and I just got back from a stroll to and from the grocery store.  Of course, temperature aside, the pollens must be up there because my allergies have been in evidence for about a week.  Darned!  Oh well, can't have it perfect can we?

ArdraF

For the "first-timers" to Quartzsite, here is a little help in finding the place:

When you get close, look for the sign shown in the image below, get out your binoculars and hope for the best.  ;D

carson FL.

Attachments

• Framily Lane.jpg
    Framily Lane.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 60
Count Cindy and me in.  We should be heading south just after the New Year.  We've finished construction and moved into the new house on Marrowstone Island (11 miles from the Escapees Chimacum Co-op park), have an offer on the old one and and between now and then I'll be getting the Intruder ready for the trip.

Lou Schneider said:
Count Cindy and me in.  We should be heading south just after the New Year.  We've finished construction and moved into the new house on Marrowstone Island (11 miles from the Escapees Chimacum Co-op park), have an offer on the old one and and between now and then I'll be getting the Intruder ready for the trip.

Great, Lou. Will look forward to seeing you and Cindy again.

The Intruder? Isn't that a MH? Do you still have the trailer?

Hi Bob -

Last year we bought a used 35' Damon Intruder.  We took it on a couple of trips, then the new house project kicked into high gear so most of this year it's been parked on the construction site as an office and bunkhouse.  Now that we've moved into the new house it's time to make the Intruder road ready again.

I still have the pickup truck and Arctic Fox.  We were going to put them up for sale when we got the Intruder, but I started commuting to California once a month so it's now my "California house".  Even counting the storage costs it's cheaper to fly Southwest than drive down and back.  Having the rig there means I don't have to pay for a week's worth of motel rooms and a rental car.

My usual schedule is to fly into Sacramento on Friday afternoon.  The county bus takes me to Woodland and drops me off within a block of the storage yard.  I get the rig out of storage, spend Saturday and Sunday playing at the railroad museum, then move to Greenbrae.  Monday I catch up with my parents, Tuesday and Wednesday I work for the radio stations, which pays for the trip.  Thursday I visit my parents again, sometimes extending into Friday.  Then I return the rig to Woodland, take the bus back to the airport and fly home.

Hi Bob,

It is with extreme difficulty that I read your message. We have not made the QZ rally for two years and won't again this year. It really saddens me that we will miss out on another great rally but we will be there in spirit. I'm hoping we can get back there in the next year or two. I still want to see those Barbizon photos about which we spoke!!!! ;D ;D ;D I hope you all will have another great rally.

Hi Smoky -

At 54, I'm broadcast engineer with 40 years experience.  That's pretty scary to think about, but I started working for the local radio station when I was 14.  I started out as a disk jockey, quickly discovered I had no talent in that direction, so I concentrated on engineering.  I've built studios, installed and maintained high powered transmitters, etc.

Two years ago I "retired" when I married Cindy and we decided to live in WA state near her family.  However, my parents are still in the San Francisco area, so I fly down there once a month to visit them, help around the house, etc.  As it turned out, the guy who replaced me at the radio stations didn't work out, so whenever I'm down there I spend a couple of days going through their transmitter sites.  Pays for the trip and keeps my hand in the business.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom