Question about Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Travel without the Dogs ?  - No way ! - It's their trailer.

Ford F350 Dually (Crew Cab customized with bed for the dogs)
35' Colorado 5th wheel
Brittany Spaniel, Black Lab/Coon dog, Chow/Rottweiller/Sharpei - (All Rescues)

Attachments

• 4 R Pets (Large).jpg
    4 R Pets (Large).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2
We have a 100lb chocolate Lab (The "Buds). He loves to travel, be it by car or RV. When we RV it he just hops up on the couch and sometimes comes down to lay close to DW. We have a drawer (under a dinette seat) where we keep all his stuff (food, toys, towels, leashes, etc). He loves to walk and does a lot of sniffing along the way  ::). He sleeps at the foot of the bed and if we had a king size bed he probably would usurp some of my space :eek:

Attachments

• 20100927_24-2.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20100927_28-2.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 2
I dont think the "buds" picks came out...so here goes again

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0058-2.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0058-2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20100927_28-2.jpg
    20100927_28-2.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20101212_67-2.jpg
    20101212_67-2.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 17
PDGX~ Tell me about your customized bed!!! (pleaaaase!!!) Our dogs are all rescues too. We have a Rotty/Black lab mix and a German Shepherd mix, a chihuahua and a cat. We're trying to figure out who rides where and how. We are considering building some sort of platform for over the back seat (also a F-350 dually crew cab) for the bigger dogs.

Codgerbill~ he's beautiful!!! What a great face!!! I love happy pup faces. Makes life worth living!

Your Buds is a mighty handsome boy. We had Sam, a 90-pound chocolate, before we were rescued by Gordon, a small (82-pound) yellow lab. Playing ball and swimming are Gordon's passions. He has a "toy box" for all his toys. His favorite place to sleep while we're driving in the RV is on the floor between my chair and the dash. Labs make great RVers. We're lucky he adopted us.

BTW, just watched a clip on NBC news where a trainer did CPR and mouth-to-mouth on a lady's dog who collapsed during training. Lucky lady, lucky dog. We should all know how to do CPR on our kids.

Wendy

The "Buds" is a such a good boy......specially if he thinks there might be a biscuit in it for him :eek:. He does love the water too...no matter if its a puddle filled with mud or a big lake. One thing we like about him (maby inherent in the Lab breed?) is that he is such a friendly "puppy". The only time we have ever saw  him get his hackles up was when a persistant sales person was at the door and we don't need a burglar alarm with him around either ;D

XJXtian -

I'll get you a couple of pics this weekend if I remember. 

The crew cab has plenty of space to build a platform after folding the rear seat backs down.  This puts them at a height that they can see out when laying down, making the trip easier for all.  You can put a net at the rear of the front seats if you are concerned about them moving around, or you can tether them to hooks on the rear cab wall.  Ours are pretty good riders and stay put since they can see everything.
We used 1/2" particle board since it stays perfectly flat and does not warp, and use 3 x 2x4's for front support legs. With the deck at that level you also have good storage under the bed even without removing the seat. We put a 2" foam pad on it, then cover with a washable blanket. 

If you need to use the seats for 2 legged passengers, just remove the front support legs and slide the platform out.

We have one in our 1/2 ton as well for local travel.

Wendy said:
BTW, just watched a clip on NBC news where a trainer did CPR and mouth-to-mouth on a lady's dog who collapsed during training. Lucky lady, lucky dog. We should all know how to do CPR on our kids.

Wendy

Wendy some Red Cross units offer a first aid course for you on pets.  DW and I volunteer time at a local pet rescue and a few years ago they had a Red Cross instructor provide a class to those who were interested.  Participants were give a card to carry in their wallet when the class was over.  (Darned if I know where my card is, I had too much stuff in the wallet and removed a lot of things I didn't need.)

However, the card isn't important but having some knowledge of pet first aid (including CPR) might be helpful to My little buddies.  ;)

pdgx said:
XJXtian -

I'll get you a couple of pics this weekend if I remember. 

The crew cab has plenty of space to build a platform after folding the rear seat backs down.  This puts them at a height that they can see out when laying down, making the trip easier for all.  You can put a net at the rear of the front seats if you are concerned about them moving around, or you can tether them to hooks on the rear cab wall.  Ours are pretty good riders and stay put since they can see everything.
We used 1/2" particle board since it stays perfectly flat and does not warp, and use 3 x 2x4's for front support legs. With the deck at that level you also have good storage under the bed even without removing the seat. We put a 2" foam pad on it, then cover with a washable blanket. 

If you need to use the seats for 2 legged passengers, just remove the front support legs and slide the platform out.

We have one in our 1/2 ton as well for local travel.

Thank you SO much!!! It sounds a lot like what my husband was thinking of doing. We definitely will have to find a bit of a barrier because our pups are always trying to ride up front. But like I said, I have never had them in the car longer than a short trip to the dog park. We'll see how they do long distance. Going to try to bring them to see family in MA....it's a 5.5 hour drive from here. See how that goes! Thank you for your help!!!

I put my boxers in harnesses made from seat belt material with tethers made of the same material.  Hardware has a very high tensile strength so won't break.  They have enough room to move around some but are secured and cannot get to the front.  It protects them from flying though the air and into something should we have to stop suddenly or worse... 

We're also protected from flying dawgs should there be an accident.  I've known of a couple of accidents where the dogs were loose and they escaped from the vehicle.  One was hit by a passing car and another was never found after he panicked and ran away.

I like the platform idea for those towing with trucks!

Karen, I like that idea....holds them in, but doesn't restrict them too-too much. I'm going to have to look into that too.

I know about "loose dogs" in an accident.....I totaled an '05 Nissan Xterra.....my chihuahua was on my left leg (I was driving) looking out the driver's side window, and once all was settled after the accident, he was pinned between the passenger seat and door. His whole abdomen was bruised. Poor little man! =o(

when we go traveling we leave our four kids behind............  would never leave the dog at home or in a kennel.

by the way our youngest is 44 yrs old.

Seems like the consensus is... definitely take your dogs in the RV! We travel all over the place with two big dogs ... both German Shepherd mixes...Sydney is 50 lbs, and Barley is 73 lbs. The love going to camgrounds and since the have to be walked for potty, they actually get more walks when we're on the road than they do at home where they can just go out into the backyard. Many campgrounds (especially KOAs and some private) have fenced in dog parks where you can let them off leash and they can chase tennis balls.
You're fortunate that your husband will be able to stay "home" with them while you're at work. Our dogs get much more quality time with their people when we travel. They also get to meet new people every day. Most campgrounds and your fellow campers will welcome your dogs. By all means take them with you!

I vote for taking the dogs too  :) I bought my RV because i got tired of people telling me I couldn't take them with me for whatever reason. I bought the RV one year ago and couldn't be happier. The pups are always home no matter where we are. They travel in their crates quietly and sleep on the bed when not in motion. They LOVE to travel. I also foster for a local border collie rescue and have up to 4 herding dogs living in it at one time. I clean and vacuum every single day, but it's worth it. I also live on the edge of one million acres of NF and have the best backyard in the world  ;D Who needs a yard!

As for leaving the dogs alone, just do what you always do. Leave a radio on, a window open, whatever makes them comfy. If you're in a campground, you obviously have to follow their rules, but I don't believe that leaving your dog in your "house" is the same as leaving it in your car. The RV falls under the same laws as open containers, searches, etc. Everything behind that driver's seat is your house. I dare anyone to tell me I can't leave my dogs in my RV while I shop or have dinner during stops.

You'll figure it out fast and the dogs will fall into a routine pretty quick. They will probably do better living with you than giving them to someone else. Since the hubby doesn't work, he gets dog walking duties  ;) By the way, they are super cute. Yay for rescues  :)

The  times we do leave "puppy" alone in the coach, we first take him out for a walk (to do his bidness), then we put on the TV, close the blinds, and make sure he has a full water dish. The water dish goes in the shower stall because when he drinks he puts his whole face in the dish and then comes out dripping water all over :eek:

codgerbill said:
The  times we do leave "puppy" alone in the coach, we first take him out for a walk (to do his bidness), then we put on the TV, close the blinds, and make sure he has a full water dish. The water dish goes in the shower stall because when he drinks he puts his whole face in the dish and then comes out dripping water all over :eek:

LOL! I can just picture this and it made me laugh  ;D I have a mat under my water bucket. I like the shower idea better though!

Back
Top Bottom