Questions about lifepo system without solar panels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iamjohngalt

Hello all,
I have some questions about a slightly unique setup I’m looking at for my motorhome.
As it currently sits, my coach is 2001 r-vision trail lite that has a onan 4000w generator on board. I think this may be slightly unusual, but instead of the generator directly powering the coach, there is a 30 amp outlet mounted in a storage bin next to the generator that also houses my shore power plug, and in order to get power I plug my shore power cord into that 30 amp outlet powered by the generator. The system is connected to 2 12v lead acid batteries under the hood (although the coach and chassis may have separate batteries and I do have a batt boost switch on the dash)
I want to potentially add up to 600ah of lithium batteries and an inverter so I can run the ac for short periods during the day when we are parked in areas where we don’t want to run the generator.
So here’s my idea, and I need input to figure out how to make the system work properly.
I install a soft start for the ac and a bank of lithium batteries in the coach(400-600ah), and run the batteries into an inverter that powers another outlet in my shore power cord bin so I could plug into either shore power, my generator, or the lithium battery bank. Then I get an ac to dc charger so I can run the generator at nights or as needed to charge the lithium batteries from a wall outlet inside the coach.
This system could be easily added or removed from the coach, and doesn’t modify or interfere with any of the original wiring which is one of the reasons I like the idea of doing it this way. It essentially only acts as another seperate source of power I can plug my coach into.
My question come mostly around the charging side of things. Running the inverter and the outlet is straightforward enough but I have no experience with lithium batteries or charging so am looking for input on what ac to dc charge method I can use to recharge a bank of 2 or 3 200ah lifepo batteries from a wall outlet in my coach.
Any information is appreciated!

This may be more information than you need.

Since your RV has manual plugs rather than an auto-transfer switch, it's fairly easy to do what you describe. There are a variety of LiPO-capable chargers available and you need only choose one that produces enough charging amps to recharge your batteries in a reasonable time frame. You are talking replacing 400-600 AH of power when the batteries are near fully discharged, so even a 100A charger is going to take hours of generator run time.

Consider a combo inverter/charger instead of separate modules for each, but the way you are setting it up there is little advantage of one vs the other. I'd choose based on cost and convenience of installation rather than any technical considerations.
Here's one source for LiFePO4 chargers - just an example and not a recommendation. Amazon has a bunch as well, plus several others.

Back
Top Bottom