Questions about maintenence and oil changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kstrat

I just got a 1984 suncrest motorhome and was going through all the documents and the last oil change was quite a bit ago and i would like to do one myself. Just wondering if anybody has a clue on how much oil a 454 would hold? I am very new to motorhomes and I know this thing sat for a few years in storage. Is there anything else i should do? I already sealed the roof and checked the tranny fluid. the water seemed a bit musty from sitting so long in the fresh tank, anything i can do to clean the fresh water tank?
Any and all input is appreciated.
Kyle

Your 7.4 litre 454 (W code) is 7 qts with a filter according to owners manual. GM PF 35 filter. 
  I would recommend changing trans fluid, air filter, anti-freeze, fuel filter also.
  The P-30s were particulary hard on plug wires.
  You may check the library here about fresh tank sanitizing.

depending on how long the oil has been in the moho, i would change it to an inexpensive 10-40, install a new filter and run it a few thousand miles. the capacity depends on which oil pan your engine has and which filter you install. it is usually between 4-8 quarts. check how much you drain.
then change the oil to AMSOIL synthetic and add a 1 quart or 2 quart oil filter from OEMY or NAPA.
replace the transmission, anti freeze, and power steering fluid with AMSOIL synthetic. i am using a k&n gauze panel air filter.
replace your brake fluid. i am using castrol dot 4 lma fluid. it took 9 12 oz cans to get clean fluid out of all my calipers.
do not drink the water from your tank.
turn off the water heater. turn off the drinking water filter if you have one. replace the filter element if you have a filter.
install approx. .26 oz of bleach for each gallon of water capacity and fill the tank. run water through all lines and hot and cold faucets and let the mixture soak for at least an hour, the longer the better.
after chlorination, drain the tank and water heater and refill it at least twice. run the hot and cold faucets each time to flush the chlorine out.
you should chlorinate the tank about once a year.
some folks add baking soda to the tank after chlorination to get rid of the chlorine taste and odor.
vinegar will also sanitize the water tank. i used 6 gal of vinegar in my 80 gallon water tank, soak time at least 4 hours. this cleaned my water tank quantity sensors. i drained and flushed my tank once.
this will get you started... :)
then you have the appliances... ::)
i have a '66 BSA 441, '79 CX500, '84 700 nighthawk, and  '89 YAMAHA TW 200.

bigskymt said:
  Your 7.4 litre 454 (W code) is 7 qts with a filter according to owners manual. GM PF 35 filter. 
  I would recommend changing trans fluid, air filter, anti-freeze, fuel filter also.
  The P-30s were particulary hard on plug wires.
  You may check the library here about fresh tank sanitizing.

Change tranny oil filter too..check fluid in transaxel...cheap change for that..

I ended up dropping it off at a mechanic because my fuel gauge was not working. Only to find out that my clutchfan was dead, and my belts were starting to come loose. So I figured while its there I am going to havehim do a run through of all the fluids and check the brake system and all that good stuff.

Kyle

Kyle;

In my humble opinion you need to get comfortable with the systems of your motorhome and understand how they work.    Going to a mechanic for work you are not capable of is fine.    However, there likely will be a time when taking your RV to a mechanic is not the best option and you may need to do a repair yourself and will need to know how and have the tools with you.

You are hearing from the voice of experience.  These old motorhomes need lots of tender loving care if you expect or need them to be reliable.  I had a couple of breakdowns and learned the hardway to spend more time tinkering with my 1989 Itasca.    For example, you can spend an entire day cleaning electrical connections, time worth spent and likely something you can do yourself.  Check and replace hoses, belts and fluid levels. 

In this process you become familiar and comfortable with the mechanical and electrical workings of your motorhome.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom