Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My employer is enforcing a new policy where if you smell like nicotine you will be dismissed for the day. Our competition up the street will not hire smokers. I don't necessarily agree but it makes it easier to not smoke. Work policy made me quit.

Beginning the first of the year in Oregon, it will be illegal to smoke in a car if minors are present due to second hand smoke health risks.

I wish I could show smokers a picture of my lungs...the ones they took out of me and put in the trash bag. If they only knew what it was like to face a transplant I would hope people would quit immediately.

But.....I know 4 people that were with me thru this transplant and saw the pain and all that I had to go thru but are still smoking...go figure. at least they signed up for organ donors.

Congratulation to everyone that has stopped, for me it has been 13 years I had my last cigarette while waiting to go into the ER with my 1st and only heart attack. June 17 2000.

Mud Puppy said:
I quit 2 months ago for the 3rd time in 5 years. The first had to do with havingbreast cancer, quit for a year and started again, then another surgery so quit again for a year. This time high cholesterol and an abnormal EKG. Now the Doc thinks I need to have a dye test and possibly a stint. I am trying to decide weather to do the dye test. Medicare pays some but I would still have to pay $1700 I guess. So quit smoking, eat better an am trying to exercise more. Good luck to all who have quit and I hope I can make it longer than a year this time. Cathy

I didn't realize how bad my cholesterol was in 2010; a 236 overall; but was not told that my tryglycerides were out of whack. Well: the end of March 2012; had a severe HA requiring 3 stents and 2 were in the widow maker; smoked the last to drags off them deadly nails that morning! I had tried and hopefully this 4 or 5th time of quitting will continue working. Irover

I'll pray for your success!

May 21 will be 2 yrs for me and the DH.  Sometimes it still hits me but all I have to do is catch a whiff of one of my family members that still smoke and I know I don't want to stink like that again.
Hoping all are well!!

Robin

I quit many yrs ago. A pack of Marlboroughs where less than a dollar, I swore I would never pay more than a buck. Three packs a day and now I am free of the nasty coffin nails.
Best thing I ever did for myself.

I failed miserably.  I tried more than once.  Quit for 5 months once!  I'm an idiot!

To all who have quit and stayed nicotine free....God bless you.

Hang in there Denmarc, everytime you attempt to quit it gets easier and closer to stopping and don't beat yourself up for not quitting. Remember I had to be in the middle of a heart attack to stop.  I hear claims that it is harder to stop cigarettes than cocain.....keep trying and pride yourself in the fact that you tried.

denmarc said:
I failed miserably.  I tried more than once.  Quit for 5 months once!  I'm an idiot!

I quit smoking on dozens of occasions before the last time stuck...April 15, 2000.

Keep trying Denmarc, everyday you go without a cig, tell yourself "Millions of people have quit smoking and I know I'm as strong as at least one of them".

Robin

9 yrs. now. I had quit a dozen times before and started up again. Never quit quitting! Oh, and never point fingers at others who can't. It's tough.

Well, three weeks and it's 2yrs since starting this thread!  Not one cigarette since, let's go ya'll, jump on this wagon with me.

denmarc said:

Denmarc
Never stop quitting. You know it is not easy. I take it 1 day at a time and it will be 12 years on August 1. Git er done

I am reading a book on mathematics today and ran across this interesting tid bid:

In the US 300,000 people die every year from cigarette smoking.

This is equal to 3 jumbo jets fully loaded with passengers, crashing every day of the year.

Now if there were 3 jumbo jets crashing every day there would be a public outcry and laws would be passed. But with the government subsidizing the tobacco growers... 

Today (or tomorrow?) will be the 18th anniversary of the day I quit.

It was leap year. On the night of February 28th that year, when I went to bed, I prayed and repented of ever starting to smoke. I told the Lord I'd like to do something memorable with the extra day that year and asked Him if He'd just take the addiction away from me. He did! Never smoked again even though I kept half a carton of Merit cigarettes in the freezer for years.

Something weird happened though; I had this constant craving for Fritos Corn Chips for a few months after that. Don't know what that was all about!

-Roni

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom