Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  Once I started at the age of 12; it was what the group I hung around with did! The girls didn't think it was cool; and I did feel macho like the Marlboro Man. After that it became a habit; then it became a burden of expenses; then tried about three or more times to quit; once making it about a year. Well the life altering severe Heart attack was the decision maker 3.5 months before I turned 61. I even seen othere people who had wholes in their throat; hooked up to oxygen; etc.; that wasn't enough to stop me.

For those of you who still smoke you should have been me this last week. I have been having breathing problems so I got a chest x-ray last Monday and I had to wait a week for the results. Smoke 50 years and then wait a week for test results is pure torture. Turns out I have emphysema and arthritis is my upper chest. So my Dr is putting me on an inhaler. Emphysema is not curable and is not fatal and is no fun. Do yourself a favor and stop smoking before it is too late. Read about it here if you dare:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/emphysema/basics/definition/con-20014218

Well, 3yrs 5mos since I started this thread... Still have not touched a cigarette, don't intend on it either.  I love the feeling of breathing without that productive wheezing and cough!  As I've stated many times... If I can do it, anyone can.  All the best Tom.

Tom, I'm really sorry to hear your news.  Emphysema is a lousy thing and it's too bad you'll have to go through it.  Wish you the best.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Tom, I'm really sorry to hear your news.  Emphysema is a lousy thing and it's too bad you'll have to go through it.  Wish you the best.
Thank you Ardra. Please don't pity me, between pot and cigarettes I smoked for 50 years so I did it to myself. The only thing that bothers me is that emphysema is one thing medical marijuana can't help. When I was 21 my father, who was 50, died of a heart attack. My doctor told me that heart disease was hereditary and I would die at age 50. I believed him and so I didn't really worry about living a long life. I am 17 years past 50 so I guess he was wrong. I wish I had ignored my doctor back then.

jje1960 said:
Well, 3yrs 5mos since I started this thread... Still have not touched a cigarette, don't intend on it either.  I love the feeling of breathing without that productive wheezing and cough!  As I've stated many times... If I can do it, anyone can.  All the best Tom.
Thanks Jim. Congratulations on 3 years. It sure gets easier as time passes by doesn't it? You couldn't pay me to smoke a cigarette.

Tom, I had stopped for over 10 years, and all it took was a golf game with lots of black flies biting, a pack of cigarillos to keep them at bay, and I was hooked for another 14 years.  I'm 8 years between smokes this time, and realize that I'm a nicotine addict, so as with most addicts, I abstain one day at a time since all it would take is one smoke and I have no doubt I would be smoking full time again.
    So, the only way that I know that I won't start again is to never take that NEXT one, and that does get easy after you go through the 3 or 4 plateaus that try to get you started again, and now i have no desire or craving but need to be vigilant.

Ed

Shortly after I got a lung transplant I made a joke at one of my transplant team doctors...."since I have these new lungs I could probably start up smoking again" ....no sense of humor about that.....geez doc I was just jokin around...

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Tom, I had stopped for over 10 years, and all it took was a golf game with lots of black flies biting, a pack of cigarillos to keep them at bay, and I was hooked for another 14 years.  I'm 8 years between smokes this time, and realize that I'm a nicotine addict, so as with most addicts, I abstain one day at a time since all it would take is one smoke and I have no doubt I would be smoking full time again.
    So, the only way that I know that I won't start again is to never take that NEXT one, and that does get easy after you go through the 3 or 4 plateaus that try to get you started again, and now i have no desire or craving but need to be vigilant.

Ed
Ed - I hear you. I smoked cigarettes from 65 to 99. I quit three times of a few years each and then started back up again. I have a very addictive personality. But fortunately for me cigarettes have smelled bad ever since I quit the last time so my desire is completely gone. Fortunately pot isn't addictive so that was easy to quit. Women are addictive and they were the hardest of all to quit. But I haven't had one in six years. :eek:

Wife went in for a new hip on the 15th of July this year.  That was also the last day she had a cigarette after 50 years of smoking.  She is on the patch, and seems to be doing pretty good.  At the same time I quit drinking, after 50 years and a LOT of beer, so we are helping each other.  I am having a pretty easy time of it as I don't think I was an alcoholic, but I'm no expert. She seemed to have a much stronger addiction with the smoking and I am very proud of the progress she has made this far.  Once we get back on the road it may get even easier. 

Good for both of you!  It's hard to give up long-term bad habits but it's better to live a "cleaner" and more healthy life.  We're here to cheer you on.  Wait until your wife realizes how much nicer her clothes smell when they're not being exposed to cigarette smoke.  Then, after she's not been smoking for a while and actually starts smelling things again, the next thing on the agenda (assuming she smoked in the house) will be cleaning drapes, carpets, and all the other things that absorb smoke odors.  But one step at a time.  Good luck to both of you!

ArdraF

I'm so happy for both of you!!  Keep each other on the right track, it's so much easier when you have the support.  DH and I are 3 1/2 yrs without a cigarette and sometimes it's still hard.  Day by day.

Robin

Thanks for the support !  She is still doing good and now trying to wean off the patch. She didn't smoke in the house or the MH, so we don't have that mess to deal with, but SHE smells better and her morning cough is gone.

Peteyboy said:
Thanks for the support !  She is still doing good and now trying to wean off the patch. She didn't smoke in the house or the MH, so we don't have that mess to deal with, but SHE smells better and her morning cough is gone.

It took me 6-months on the patches...be patient.

her morning cough is gone

A number of decades ago when I was a teenager who thought Mother didn't know I was smoking (ha!), Mother used to tell me that my cough would go away if I quit smoking.  Nah, I knew better.  But guess what.  I gave up smoking at age 21 and sure enough Mother WAS RIGHT!  Not only did my cough go away, but the odor in my clothes disappeared too.  Glad your wife has made it past the cough!

ArdraF

I have recently been diagnosed with emphysema. I wish anyone who smokes could breathe like I do for one day. You would never smoke again. I cannot begin to describe the hell I am going through. But I was stupid, like everyone else, thinking it can't happen to me. And when it does there is no reversing it. Quit now while you are still ahead. Don't wait until it is too late.

4 months now for both of us, and things are going great.  Wife is 99% over her hip surgery, and on just the 7mg patch.  She asked if we can start walking,,,, YIKES !!!!,,,, she NEVER wanted to walk with me before, so I think that is a very good thing.  We are headed out for the winter in a few days, and are looking forward to getting a walk in every day in new surroundings.  We are headed to Arizona via Florida, as I want to bum around Florida for a month as we have never camped there.

Back
Top Bottom