Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill N said:
How much is your $0.02 costing you for the ecigs?  You must know that ecigs are also rapidly being outlawed in many places.

I haven't seen them outlawed yet...but they're being regulated like regular cigarettes in some places. As for cost...I vape pretty heavily, so my cost for the juice and atomizer coils runs a bit less than half what my smoking habit would cost me. Of course, I have to factor in the cost of the hardware...which is less than $100/year.

Is quitting smoking better and cheaper? you damn betcha it is...but this is a somewhat healthier alternative for those who just can't seem to quit.

but this is a somewhat healthier alternative

Sorry, but that's not what the latest research out of NIH is showing.  They're really starting to be concerned about the negative health effects so you might want to check into it further.  Stopping cold turkey is still the healthiest alternative.  I hope you can.

ArdraF

Let me put it this way! I had tried from 1991 and had quit maybe four times; Gum; then lozenges; then tried the patch in 1993 (stopped for 11 months) then the gum in 2010-11. When I had the severe heart attack March 30th 2012 which blocked the LCA artery in two places and stents. Just before the third one two mornings later, the interventionalist said I may have to have a CABG (Bypass Operation) if this didn't help!
I said How bad is it! He said 7-10 mins. more if I would not have got there I would not have made it!!! At that moment it became clear if I wanted to live then I had to quit permanently. I spent 5.5 day in ICU and another 1.5 days in a regular room.  ;D
  I went through some wicked withdrawals for the first month; and had cravings for maybe 6 months +; but I vowed and to this day have not lit or smoked another.  8)

You can do it; as i found out can't is not in my vocabulary now!

I love the drama queens who claim they can't quit. There is nothing easier than quitting. You just stop buying cigarettes. End of story, end of smoking. That is all there is to it. You don't need gum, patches, ecigs or anything else. Just stop buying them. You can't smoke what you don't have.

SeilerBird said:
I love the drama queens who claim they can't quit. There is nothing easier than quitting. You just stop buying cigarettes. End of story, end of smoking. That is all there is to it. You don't need gum, patches, ecigs or anything else. Just stop buying them. You can't smoke what you don't have.

Physically you're correct, Tom. Mentally/emotionally, though, is another story. For many people that craving gets rather strong, to say the least, and it's a bear to quit, period, for them. For others, though, it's not as bad. It was tough for me for many years, at least partly because I enjoyed it so much, but 8 years ago I decided I would quit, smoked 'til the last one on hand, which fortunately timed out to bedtime one night, and actually had only a minor difficulty avoiding further purchases. Previous tries hadn't been nearly so easy.

So it's not "one size fits all" for quitting, certainly not as easy for everyone as you make it sound.

SeilerBird said:

Sounds like you were never a smoker...Nicotine is considered to be the MOST addictive drug known to man...

http://www.michaelshouse.com/drug-addiction/most-addictive-drugs-world/

Sure...you just stop buying cigarettes and stop smoking...if it was actually only that easy, especially for some people.

Larry N. said:
Physically you're correct, Tom. Mentally/emotionally, though, is another story. For many people that craving gets rather strong, to say the least, and it's a bear to quit, period, for them. For others, though, it's not as bad. It was tough for me for many years, at least partly because I enjoyed it so much, but 8 years ago I decided I would quit, smoked 'til the last one on hand, which fortunately timed out to bedtime one night, and actually had only a minor difficulty avoiding further purchases. Previous tries hadn't been nearly so easy.

So it's not "one size fits all" for quitting, certainly not as easy for everyone as you make it sound.
This would be a boring world if everyone fit Tom's mold.  I seriously doubt we would have even heard of the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company if it were as easy as Tom suggests.

SeilerBird said:
Not sure how to reply to that statement so I won't.
On a more supportive note....I'm going through this right now, again. It can be done. I've quit twice for 8 years each time. Both times I drank too much, bummed a smoke then bought a pack on the way home.
I have the ability, just not the smarts I guess. Biggest issue to be honest is I enjoy it.
When I did quit both times I went cold turkey. First week is the toughest.

I am a smoker and will always be a smoker.  I quit for 10 years and thought I had it beat for sure.  I gained 40 lbs over the 10 years and never felt more unhealthy than I did then.  I started smoking again and lost all the weight over about 5 years.  I did not start smoking again for the weight but rather for the company I was keeping.  5 years ago both my wife and I went to vaping and quit smoking cigarettes.  I don't want to quit vaping as I am afraid of going back to the cigarettes.  No weight gain this time and the total cost for both of us is about $300 per year.  We vape a liquid that does not have any odor so it is not offensive to others.  This works for us.  Each to his/her own I guess as long as it does not affect the people around you.

Your choice is your choice.  If you ever get in my area, I invite you to go with me to my Pulmonary Rehab classes 3 days per week.  There you can see some of those who made the choice to quit too late but not late enough that they were terminal.  They (and I) are trying to reacquire something that we never can - good health.  But I respect your choice as that is how you choose to live your life.  Good luck.

Alpena Jeff said:
When I did quit both times I went cold turkey. First week is the toughest.

For me the urge did not go away for 10 years!  It is now 23 and I know what COPD is like but at least I quit early enough before the big C got me.

Bill N said:
Your choice is your choice.  If you ever get in my area, I invite you to go with me to my Pulmonary Rehab classes 3 days per week.  There you can see some of those who made the choice to quit too late but not late enough that they were terminal.  They (and I) are trying to reacquire something that we never can - good health.  But I respect your choice as that is how you choose to live your life.  Good luck.

The rehab really works!! It was required that I attend before consideration for transplant. If I missed a day I could really notice it on the next visit, before it was all over I was on 30 liters of oxy for the treadmill. I had quit smoking cold turkey `12 years before that.......still needed a transplant.

Bill N said:
Day 3....haven't killed anyone yet! ;D
I realize I'm no longer bulletproof so I will not make this mistake again. Pray for all of us quitters!
Jeff

Alpena Jeff said:
Day 3....haven't killed anyone yet! ;D
I realize I'm no longer bulletproof so I will not make this mistake again. Pray for all of us quitters!
Jeff

You can do it again, if we stop trying then, no success!! Pray the urge don't get the best of you!! I kept it in my mind that if I light one more that will shorten my life even more!!

I guess I have to join in along with most, quitting was the hardest thing I have ever accomplished. I am now going on 5 years and still think of it occasionally. I ended up gaining about 20-25 lbs and my Dr says he is happy with that in comparison. I never plan on starting again but you know what happens to the best laid plans, its a constant vigilance to make sure you don't fall into the trap again. And yes, health wise it does make a diff for sure.
I can say for many that I know vapeing has been a godsend. Some that probably would have died a smoker have been able to quit using vapeing. You can vape using zero nicotine juice and if it works for you to quit then so be it. We have a lot of options, vapeing, hypnosis, support groups, gum, patches, grandkids, etc, etc. Please use whatever works for you and if you fall off the wagon, go for it again. Ignore those that try and belittle you for using means other than "cold turkey". Do whatever it takes for you to quit.

I wish I could get my wife to chime in here but she has never used a computer in her life and ain't gonna start now.  On July 16th it will be 1 year since she quit after smoking pretty dang heavy for 50 years. She was going in for hip surgery and the Doc said if she wanted to heal properly, she better think hard about quiting.  She hasn't had one since.  They put her on the patch in the hospital and she kept them up for 3 or 4 months.  Went to the gum and lollipops and has been doing fantastic.  She says the urge is about completely gone and knows she will never smoke again. I am super proud of her.  All the folks we hang out with do not smoke so I think that makes it easier on her. Oh, at the same time she quit, I quit drinking so we had each other to help get through it.

I just crossed over the four month mark, the longest I've gone without a cigarette in 43 years.  Quitting is easy, I quit 60-70 times over the years.  The longest I lasted before was about a week.  The hard part is not starting again.  I used Chantix and this time has actually been easy for me.  Chantix isn't for everyone.  I had no side effects but it gave my wife nightmares.  When I quit I still enjoyed smoking and like many still have an occasional desire.

I want to encourage all who decide to give up the habit... been 47 yrs for me.
I quit when my second child was born not wanting to subject him to second hand smoke. I was up to 3 packs a day, 2 purchased and 1 bummed, not really but I did bum a bunch and at that time they were only $ .40/pack, or $2.00/carton at the PX.

While my effort to quit mirrored Seilerbird's narrative I can't agree with Tom... I was extremely fortunate I had no withdrawl symptoms... why God choose to make it so easy I can't explain.

On another addiction... It has been 25 years that I've refrained from adult beverages... something I found VERY difficult to quit. I wasn't an obnoxious drunk more of a functioning one. For the sake of my fellow man I thank God He took that addiction away!

So, I once again wish to encourage anyone trying to kick either addiction hang in there, use whatever works, you'll add years to your life...  :)

Keith

Back
Top Bottom