Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've smoked for 41 years.  On 12/30/17, my DW and I came down with respiratory infections (she has never smoked).  Needless to say,  I didn't feel like smoking.  When I started to feel like smoking again, it had been five days without, so I decided to quit.  It's now been eleven days, and I've got a long way to go, but so far so good!

My 83 year old sister smokes two packs a day and has forever.  Tough old gal for sure. Nagging her to quit endangers your life so I keep my mouth shut....lol

Well, I caved in. My attitude was so bad, I didn't even want to be around me, so I'm sure no one else wanted to be around me either. But... the good news is that I'm attempting again. I'm not gonna let this beat me.

kdbgoat said:
Well, I caved in. My attitude was so bad, I didn't even want to be around me, so I'm sure no one else wanted to be around me either. But... the good news is that I'm attempting again. I'm not gonna let this beat me.

See...you didn't come back here for that virtual slap!  Now you know.

But seriously, it's harder for some than others.  Keep at it.  We're rooting for you.

Thanks for all the support! :) I'm doing well on this quit so far. I smoked for a couple of days, then got angry at myself for holding myself on the crutch again.

kdbgoat said:
Thanks for all the support! :) I'm doing well on this quit so far. I smoked for a couple of days, then got angry at myself for holding myself on the crutch again.

Go for it and keep this in mind from a person who knows: COPD is a beech.  I smoked 43 years and quit 24 years ago.  Did fine until just a few months ago - now on oxygen about 18 hours per day and have a heck of a time breathing even after a small exertion such as taking out the garbage.  I did use the patch but had really slowed down before that.  The only solution is to QUIT and tell yourself that you like living more than smoking.  BEST of LUCK - but it isn't luck - it is WILLPOWER. 

Bill

When I quit smoking I got some chocolate tootsie pops. It gave me something to hold on to and something to stick in my mouth instead of a cigarette.

I smoked for 30 years and quit 20 years ago. I was diagnosed with emphysema 2 years ago. I wish every smoker I meet could spend one day in my body. They would never smoke again. Ever. You could not pay me to smoke one more cigarette.

SeilerBird said:
I smoked for 30 years and quit 20 years ago. I was diagnosed with emphysema 2 years ago. I wish every smoker I meet could spend one day in my body. They would never smoke again. Ever. You could not pay me to smoke one more cigarette.

Or try living in my body where your chest was cut in half and the lungs removed then replaced by someone else's lungs...... that are now failing.

travellerz71 said:
When I quit smoking I got some chocolate tootsie pops. It gave me something to hold on to and something to stick in my mouth instead of a cigarette.

For me it was cheesy poofs, it seems that my fingers were always orange

My close friends and  relatives have seen what I went thru, they were with me when all this was going down and they are still smoking, one even started back up. I look at them and just shake my head and think "you have no idea"

Cold turkey one Sunday morning 40 years ago after 4/day for 25 years. Went out drinking with my boss the next night. So far so good!

Ernie

SeilerBird said:
Well said Tom and I share your feelings - with COPD.

Bill

catblaster said:
  Or try living in my body where your chest was cut in half and the lungs removed then replaced by someone else's lungs...... that are now failing.

Ouch - powerful statement.  Just had a CAT scan yesterday to determine if I have a bad (C-word) lung problem.

Bill

catblaster said:

Will, how long ago did you have the transplant. Lucille and I wish all the best of luck for you. We expect to see you next year at the rally and many more after that.

:eek: After my heart attack on March 30, 2012, laying in the ICU I finally realized that I had taken the smoking bit to far! That was my last two puffs on the cancer stick that morning after 46 years and 4 previous tries at quitting! I have mild COPD, just hope it stays this way!
kdbgoat,  Keep up and don't give in, you can do it!!

catblaster: Best to you! Keep the Faith!

Every Morning I Wake Up Is Going To Be A Great Day Even If It's My Worst!

The sad thing about emphysema is that it never improves, it is basically a slow death sentence. Maybe some day they will develop artificial lungs for transplanting but my doctor says not in my lifetime. :-[

Irover said:
:eek: After my heart attack on March 30, 2012, laying in the ICU I finally realized that I had taken the smoking bit to far! That was my last two puffs on the cancer stick that morning after 46 years and 4 previous tries at quitting! I have mild COPD, just hope it stays this way!
kdbgoat,  Keep up and don't give in, you can do it!!

catblaster: Best to you! Keep the Faith!

Every Morning I Wake Up Is Going To Be A Great Day Even If It's My Worst!

Good post but I can vouch that COPD does not stay as mild.  Mine did for many years but in the last year, things have gone downhill - now wear oxygen for most of the day and just taking out the garbage has become a major exertion task.  I wish you all the best as I do to all who have quit and lived to talk about it.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom