Quit smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
edjunior said:
This is  way cool.  I remember it too.  It is hard to believe it has been 5 years and this thread is still going.  Still inspiring people.  September will be 25 years for me.

I am in my 24th year Ed after 43 years of smoking.  It took several years to get over the desire but that is all gone now and the reverse has happened - I hate the smell of smoke.  Plus the COPD is a daily reminder  of my stupidity.

Bill

I quit smoking cigarettes exactly 1 year ago today, on March 7th 2016  ;D

I was a heavy smoker for 30 years, smoking 2-3 packs of full flavor cigarettes per day.

I had Stage II hypertension and was on several blood pressure meds, suffered two full strokes (2011 & 2013) and multiple TIA's (mini strokes), yearly bouts of both bronchitis and pneumonia for 10 + years, non-stop coughing and wheezing, morning headaches from HELL for many many years....and the list of smoking related illnesses goes on...

After just one year of no cigarettes, my blood pressure numbers are within NORMAL range and completely off all blood pressure meds.
I haven't had any additional TIA's since quitting last March (2016)..
no coughing, no wheezing, no more morning headaches...
I can laugh without coughing up a lung...

I am feeling GREAT these days  :)

Attachments

• uE3JbN3.png
    uE3JbN3.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 2
Lisa & Ed said:
I quit smoking cigarettes exactly 1 year ago today, on March 7th 2016  ;D

I was a heavy smoker for 30 years, smoking 2-3 packs of full flavor cigarettes per day.

I had Stage II hypertension and was on several blood pressure meds, suffered two full strokes (2011 & 2013) and multiple TIA's (mini strokes), yearly bouts of both bronchitis and pneumonia for 10 + years, non-stop coughing and wheezing, morning headaches from HELL for many many years....and the list of smoking related illnesses goes on...

After just one year of no cigarettes, my blood pressure numbers are within NORMAL range and completely off all blood pressure meds.
I haven't had any additional TIA's since quitting last March (2016)..

And it will keep getting better!
no coughing, no wheezing, no more morning headaches...
I can laugh without coughing up a lung...

I am feeling GREAT these days  :)

jje1960 said:
Holy cow... March 10th will be 5yrs since I quit and started this post the following day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How cool is that, have not touched a cigarette since! Ye, haa!

Congrats of 5 years! And what a wonderful thing you did by sharing your story. I'm sure it's provided support to many.

I smoked for about 15 years, and one day, got a letter in the mail for the Mayo Clinic's Nicotine Research Center. They were performing a study on quitting, and I was invited to join. It was testing the drug Chantix. It was a 1 year program, with a physical before, 12 weeks of medication, and then the rest of the time, monitoring for relapse and medical conditions. We each got two cards of pills each week - One the shape, size, and color of (what would become) Chantix, one with pills the shape, size, and color of Zyban. At least one was a placebo, and the other the actual drug, and a few people got both cards with placebos as the control group.

14 years later, and I still do not know which group I was in. But I do think it was one of the groups with the drug. About three weeks into it, I did try a cigarette, and I just did not like the taste of it, and I didn't get the "buzz" from it I usually got after going a while without. That was the last cigarette I've had, and I've been smoke-free ever since. And the best part - I got paid for it! Not much - For the entire year, I got $575.

One of the biggest things I've noticed since I quit is that I don't get as many colds as I did before, and the ones I do get are usually much less severe than when I smoked.

bsandey said:
I smoked for about 15 years, and one day, got a letter in the mail for the Mayo Clinic's Nicotine Research Center. They were performing a study on quitting, and I was invited to join. It was testing the drug Chantix. It was a 1 year program, with a physical before, 12 weeks of medication, and then the rest of the time, monitoring for relapse and medical conditions. We each got two cards of pills each week - One the shape, size, and color of (what would become) Chantix, one with pills the shape, size, and color of Zyban. At least one was a placebo, and the other the actual drug, and a few people got both cards with placebos as the control group.

14 years later, and I still do not know which group I was in. But I do think it was one of the groups with the drug. About three weeks into it, I did try a cigarette, and I just did not like the taste of it, and I didn't get the "buzz" from it I usually got after going a while without. That was the last cigarette I've had, and I've been smoke-free ever since. And the best part - I got paid for it! Not much - For the entire year, I got $575.

One of the biggest things I've noticed since I quit is that I don't get as many colds as I did before, and the ones I do get are usually much less severe than when I smoked.

That's interesting about the colds... but it makes sense

bsandey said:
I smoked for about 15 years.......

Well done.  Best thing I ever did was quit smoking.... and start this thread!!!!  Over 5yrs of clear breathing has been awesome!

jje1960 said:
Well done.  Best thing I ever did was quit smoking.... and start this thread!!!!  Over 5yrs of clear breathing has been awesome!

WOWZA!!!  What an inspiration you all are!  Congratulations!

25 years for me this September.  Wowza indeed.  Congratulations to all those that quit and good luck to all those trying to.

I quit smoking and drinking on the same day about 32 years ago. For me when I smoked I wanted a beer or if I had a beer I wanted a smoke.

I was talking to a smoker/drinker yesterday and decided I have saved a fortune just by quitting. I remember in the Navy a carton of Camels was $2.00.

Coming up on 24 years quit after 43 years of smoking.  But I was too late.  Now have COPD and am borderline on needing oxygen.  Congrats to all those who have successfully quit and I encourage those who have failed to never quit trying.

Bill

I think it's been nearly 10 years since we quit, hubby and both quit at the same time....and we're still married!!!! We had both smoked for over 30 years, I'm so glad my mom lived to see me quit, I wish his mom had.

Back
Top Bottom