Really worn decals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twentyrivers

The decals on our camper are pretty worn out. I've gotten many off with the heat gun, but the remaining ones the decal is literally bake to pieces from age and sun. My heat gun isn't making much progress without a lot of scraping on my part. I'm using a plastic scraper. I haven't tried a razor blade, as the previous person must have and they gouged the camper in a couple spots. If I can use it smoothly, that my next thing to try.
It's not in my budget to purchase those 3m wheels right now, though if I'm at any swap meets later I'm going to keep an eye out for them.

Are there any other tips I might try? Not sure if wetting the dcals before I blast them with heat would make much difference. Wondering if I coated them with a paste of some sort...
Suggestions?

I have at least removed the front and one side, so I can add my new decal.

Dan has been removing our old decals.  After trying heat guns, hair dryers and steam, he now uses an inexpensive iron without steam.  He heats a small area with the iron, then uses a plastic razor blade to remove the decal.

Get a pinstriping removal tool. 3m makes them, so do other companies. Look on ebay if you can't find one in your local store. Goes onto a power drill, like a big rubber eraser it takes off decals easy. Just be careful you do not press too hard or linger too long in one area because it does get hot and can discolor your surface underneath. I did my whole rig in hours after trying for days with the heat gun and razor blades. Saves alot of frustration. My decals were all super stuck, yet older than dirt on my 1984. I did go through four of them on my 24 ft motorhome.

I think they are about $40 a wheel, and right now I'm just working on the spots that are willing to come off. There's a swap meet here in a few months, so I'm going to look for the wheels there.

there were far less expensive pinstripe removing wheels on amazon.  I believe they were around $10-15 and ship via Prime if you have it.  they worked great for the baked on stripes.  i'm struggling with the adhesive from the back stripes that I pressure washed off.

We used razor scrapers from home depot.  Were careful to cut between the vinal and the fiberglass.  This left some adhesive on the coach, but relatively easy to avoid gouging the fiberglass, so far.  Used goof-off to remove the adhesive.  AFter removing the adhesive used buffing compound (without wax) in a small hand held buffer.  Attached photos show the results. 

Attachments

• Winnebago old front.jpg
    Winnebago old front.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 92
  • new front.jpg
    new front.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 81
I am in the process of removing our old baked-on decals.
- first, I bought the middle-priced multi-temperature Heat gun, which was too hot, so I exchanged it for the bottom-of-the-line heat gun from Home Depot (or Lowes). I use it with a plastic scraper, which MELTS if I am not careful.
- I also have the 3M special wheel. It wears down the battery on our cordless drill, so I have to use a corded-drill. It works ok, but best on the dried up crunchy decals.
- I am allergic to solvents, so I needed to use something manual, rather than chemicals. I alternate between the two techniques, as needed.
- the heat gun method leaves more sticky residue, but the wheel is sooooooo tedious and leaves a LOT of rubber "eraser dust".
- finally, when I get most of the big pieces off, I use DUCT TAPE to remove the sticky residue. I warm up the  glue slightly with the heat gun, then I pounce the sticky parts with a ring of duct tape, around my hand.  If you pounce vigorously, it works best. I should do a video of my technique!

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=450:decalremoval&catid=27&Itemid=132

Well, some of the decals are still on our camper. Just didn't get to it all this year. I peeled off what would come off, used a heat gun, and goof off.
Some of it goes better because the decal is relatively intact. The dried up and crackled decals were taking forever. I heated and scraped whatever would come away. I'll have to mess with it in the spring.
I purchased a 15' roll of black vinyl to make a fun decal for the side, and some name decals for the other sides. I'll cut them on my silhouette cameo.

If you're ever at a car show that has a swap meet, that is a good place to look for those 3m wheels.

Back
Top Bottom