Remembering when-----

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about Datsun to Nissan....my first car was a Datsun B210.....that would be fun to tow behind the RV!!  ;D

I miss the old five and dimes.  They had so many good little items that you just can't find anymore.

Before Christmas 1950 we lived in Occupied Japan and loved poring over the Sears & Roebuck catalog.  That's where all our Christmas presents came from!

ArdraF

I remember my kids couldn't wait for the Sear and Penney's Christmas catalogs to come in the mail.  They would sit for hours going through the pages and marking what they wanted Santa to bring them.

chiwawamama said:
I remember my kids couldn't wait for the Sear and Penney's Christmas catalogs to come in the mail.  They would sit for hours going through the pages and marking what they wanted Santa to bring them.

Back when I was a kid, they came in awful handy for other things the rest of the year :eek: ::)

ArdraF said:
I miss the old five and dimes.  They had so many good little items that you just can't find anymore.

Before Christmas 1950 we lived in Occupied Japan and loved poring over the Sears & Roebuck catalog.  That's where all our Christmas presents came from!

ArdraF
Go to Branson, Mo. and visit Dick's 5 & 10.  You won't be disappointed.

Wizard46 said:
Back when I was a kid, they came in awful handy for other things the rest of the year :eek: ::)
Back when I was a kid, I walked barefoot, through the snow, to school, uphill, both ways...

I remember when oil came in a can and once you opened the can you used the same opener to open your beer. And didn?t worry about dying from it!

Lowell said:
How about "Old Crown Beer"  or "Centliver Beer"  or Falstaff or  Black Label
  I have unopened cans of Falstaff, Black Label and dozens of other beers from the 60s-80s.  My dad was a truck driver and would pick up a new six pack for me everywhere he went.  I would drink 5 and save 1.

Sloop said:
I remember when oil came in a can and once you opened the can you used the same opener to open your beer. And didn?t worry about dying from it!
That's where the term "getting lubricated" came from. ;D

mypursuit said:
    Olympia Beer,  "Oly". "It's the water".        Rainer Beer, "Raindeer"        Beer Beer.  Yup. came in a white can with black letters that said, BEER".
  I believe I have these in my collection, too!

carson said:
Does Navistar still make "Cornbinders" ?  ( "Cornbinder"/"Barnyard Buick"/"Thirteen letter **** spreader": a Navistar International truck (formerly International Harvester ). ...
Barnyard Buick  Now that is funny. ;D In Canada it was Simpson-Sears, they had the best toy department at Christmas. We kids spent hours poring over the catalog. The department store I miss is Woodwards, it was a western Canadian chain. They carried a lot of specialty items at reasonable price, it was the only place dad could buy his size 13 gunboats off the shelf.

Anyone remember Western Hardware, Golden Rule stores, Coast to Coast Hardware.

Then in the drugstores there were drinks like Green River, various Phosphates, i.e., cherry phosphate, etc.  For that matter does anyone have a soda counter in a drugstore anymore?

How about some of the chewing gums like Black Jack

Remember NEW COKE, just before Coke Classic came out, about the same as when Edsel first appeared.

Just a couple of flops

How about the white margarine in the package with the capsule of yellow coloring that you had to work into it.

I had a Roy Rogers cap pistol and holster  that I regularly wore to school so I could play cops & robbers at recess with the other kids who brought theirs.---And I didn't get expelled for threatening behavior. Even carried my Boy Scout knife to school.

My wife suggested that I ask our kids if I could give my 12 year old grandson a pocket knife for Christmas.  I looked at her with that "Why the H$#L would I do that look" and she informed me that if he it took it to school one of us would probably be loaning the kids bail money.  Good gravy, I remember walking to school with my .22 rifle so I could hunt rabbits on the way home in the winter.  All the teacher was concerned about was that there wasn't one in the chamber when I handed it to her to put away for me.  The only time I actually got in a little trouble for that trick was when I brought my "home tanned" rabbit pelts to school for show and tell on a Friday and didn't take them home that afternoon.  Apparently my tanning process needed some work because by Monday they were a little ripe after sitting in a heated classroom for a couple of days.

Times have definitely changed.

Back
Top Bottom