rentals for sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

llamalady

Hi!  I just came across what looked like some very good deals on used RV's that started out as rentals.  I know lots of folks have had very good luck buying cars that were rentals first.  Does anyone know if the same would hold true on buying an RV that has been used as a rental?  Specifically, what I've seen has been Four Winds Majestic on a Ford chassis, model P or A.  Advice appreciated!  Sue

We looked at Class C rentals for sale before buying our Class A 4 years ago. We didn't see any that we thought were worth buying....high mileage, well used, and odd floorplans (designed more for more than 2 people).

Wendy

The best deals on used RVs are with private parties. Dealers have to make a profit, and usually a large one. When I was shopping for my current rig I looked at and drove a 1988 Itasca at a dealership. The price on the window was $9999, marked down to $6995, marked down to $5600. The NADA guide price for this unit was about $3200. I offered the dealer $3000. He sniffed that the least he would go down to was $5000 out the door. I bought from a private party.

You might want to really examine and check out rental units before you purchase.  Often they are abused and may not have had the care they need on a regular basis.  You might find better deals with private parties.

Marsha~

I'd be a bit skeptical of rental units Sue.  Sometimes, and perhaps more times than not, they are unknowingly "abused" by the renters who are totally unfamiliar with RV systems, how they operate, etc.  I don't think there would be malicious damage, but rather, damage due to lack of knowledge by the user/renter.

it depends on the renter, whether private or dealer, you have to be aware that any rental is going to have more use and more 1st time users. The big box renters and we know who they are squeeze every mile possible out of their fleet so they may or may not be worth buying. You will need to do some homework. We rented from lakeshore rv in Michigan a few years back and they had nice rentals and they do sell them frequently so you may check to see if they still do rentals and if so if they have any for sale. good luck.
The number is 231 788 2040.

Thanks, everyone, for the help re buying a rental unit.  I definitely will stay away from that possibility...I don't know enough to know what to look for.  I don't find many units for sale by individuals, though.  What about dealers?  Are they a good option?

Though I agree with the negatives posted here, I would disagree that all rentals are not good deals. Some rental agencies and individuals "do" run the rig into the ground to get as much profit as they can prior to selling.

OTOH, other rental agencies and dealers that rent take much better car of a rig than some private owners. I rented my rig out thru an agency in Sacramento in the late 90's. There was no doubt in my mind that they took at least as good care of the rig than I could. Here's some things to look for when considering purchasing a rental:

o Maintenance History: Ask to see the rentals maintenance records. For example, make sure the oil has been changed as specified in the owners manual, and so forth.

o Extras Removed: A good rental agency will take the awning, ladder, and hub caps off. They will also lock the hitch so nothing can be towed, remove the coffee maker and cigarette lighter plus place a No Smoking sign on the dash.

o Return from rental maintenance: Ask to see a unit that has just returned from a rental and see the check list and clean up they do.

o Note the mileage cut off for sale: A good rental agency will not keep a unit for more than 2 years, or 20-30k miles before taking them off the fleet and up for sale.

o Who owns the rentals: A lot of rental agencies use rigs that are owned by individuals. It is a great way to get into a newer rig while letting someone else make the payments for the first two years. Most will also allow the actual owner to take the rig out for X numbers of days during the rental period.

So if looking at a rental, ask if it is owned by a private party. A part of what makes this attractive to a buyer of a new rig placed in the rental fleet is that they have approved just how the rig is going to be taken care of. After two years or having reached the mileage cap, the owners have the choice of taking the rig out of rental, or, if it appears they are doing well with their portion of the rental income, can have the agency sell it, and replace it with another new unit.

Most of the rigs in the rental fleet that I worked with were owned by individuals.

Bob, thank you for the additional perspective on the possible purchase of a rental unit.  The company at which I was looking certainly didn't have a max on miles, as some of the units had over 100,000.  Thanks to you I now know, should I go that route, what to look for and what to ask.  In the meanwhile I've come across a private individual who has a rig,  a'93 22' Itasca Class A with 31,000 miles, owned by an older couple who are looking to move up to a larger unit.  Do you know anything about that make?  I'll likely pose that question in a new thread soon.  Sue

Back
Top Bottom